Bevier = MarySue

Zombie

I was browsing through some fan fiction and noticed there seems to be a strong allure to Bevier by MarySue types. Anyone know what's up with that?

I'm not really sure. Maybe it's the religious aspect? I'll have to re-read the Elenium/Tamuli again, but I had no idea he was so popular in certain circles.

:eek: A huge axe! Why, Winters_Sorrow - whatever do you mean by that? :p

There's a group of stories on Fan Fiction in which the focus is Bevier and the typical MarySue shows up. It hasn't really occurred for any other character from either series. The majority of fan fiction for the other books seems to focus on proposed sequels, whatifs and the like.

Poor Bevier seems to have attracted all the attention. I just can't figure out why since in the books he makes mention of his desire to join the Church as Churchman, thus becoming celibate and there's never any allusion to him being interested in the opposite sex.

Ace, a MarySue has a fine and long history within the realm of fanfiction. They are proxies of the writers themselves, acting as a wish-fulfillment for the writers who desire to be part of the original work or have a crush on a character. These characters are idealized and badly cliched. They are always beautiful, liked by everyone, skilled in almost everything they do and will always save the day at the last moment. They end up becoming the central focus of a story even they have nothing to do with the plot.

I would wager that 85% of fan fiction is dominated by MarySues. The best descriptions can be found here and here (at Godawful, move over to 'Info' then to 'FAQ' and scroll down to 'MarySue') of this phenom.

Bevier was bland, he never showed any development until the very last book when he took on that creepy persona. I just don't get the attraction.

Admittedly, Bevier could have been a better character. I find it difficult to understand why so many would write fan fiction around him, unless it's because the character was supposedly good looking whilst remaining unattached. With the exception of Ulath and Tynian (whom apparently were destined to be bachelors) everyone gets paired up with someone, as per usual for Eddings. Even Berit has some romantic involvement with Elysoun, despite his original ideas. All except Bevier.

Maybe that's why they like him. Then again, who knows?:)

It was always the women who got paired up though, at end of the books was any single female character left?

I suppose it's a good idea not to delve too deeply into the minds of MarySues ... ;) it could be dangerous.

Hmm, for the Elenium/Tamuli, the only major female character I can think of who didn't get paired off was Xanetia, and she had a different fate (destined to lead her people away).

I'll keep thinking.:)

She could also change gender, that would have been interesting to experience. Didn't she and her people become like pure light or something to at the end?

The timing does seem to fit, as neither Redemption of Althalus or the Younger Gods series are my favourites of the Eddings' works.

One thing I was never sure of was whether it was the co-authorship thing that made the later stories a bit weaker, or if it was just the fact that they wanted to expand on previous ideas in the form of a new story, thus making it seem unoriginal. It was the same for the characters, too.

That's a very good question, HH.

The characters and even sub-plots and plots were feeling recycled with the books the followed Tamuli. I was so disappointed by Redemption of Althalus that I didn't even pick up the Younger Gods.

I have a feeling Ms. Eddings always helped with the books - I think David even said as much in an interview or even the Rivan Codex. Maybe it was just the exhaustion of fresh story-lines?

recycling may be good for planet earth, but it's bad for sales and fan loyalty. I also didn't bother after Althalus. There was so much wrong there, I'd need a book to moan properly!

I think once she was on the cover, she had more input. I remeber him saying she'd always had input in the codex too, I think it was credit for her being good at the names. The books got less fantasy/adventure, and became excessively fantasy/romance. Like the deeply annoying and somehow distrubing relationship between Althalus and Emmy. Grrr!

Emmy was like Flute with an annoyance factor of a billion. She was like a bad Sue in a fanfic.

If she was my cat - Goddess or not - I'd take her to the vets for euthanasing.

Ha! That was very funny. :D

I think we'd just have to create an "Island of Annoying Characters" and drop her off there. She'll have company at least ... Ehlana for instance.

Back