Bevier = MarySue

redeemable females in Eddings? they are rare... Mirtai definitely. Vella has moments where her personality rubs me the wrong way, but essentially, she's redeemable. Ehlana has only one moment in those series - when she plays politics and chooses the Archprelate, thats cool. And also when she absently considers war against the church of chyrellos, thats also very cool. But we could dump her on the Island of annoying characters.
Polgara (and her pale imitation of a shadow Sephrenia) aren't in need of redemption. She's (they're) flawless IMO. Polgara sits in my top three favourite Eddings characters, so she can't be exiled.

Hmm... well, I did like Mirtai. But if you did find her annoying just how would you phrase the words 'we're bringing you to the Island of Annoying Characters' in such a way as to avoid physical violence?

I like Sephrenia, I didn't find her as conceited as Polgara (I don't know ... there was always this air Pol has that everything she knows is the best). And then in the Tamuli when she shows such a strong prejudice towards Xanita's people I liked her more. It was an ugly characteristic and it made her so much more real.

Well, Ehlana and Ce'Nedra would make great traveling companions on their journey to Island of Annoying Characters.

I don't think we'd send Mirtai to the Island of annoying characters - HH asked if there were any redeemable females in Eddings' books, so we suggested Mirtai.

As for Sephrenia/Polgara, I think out of the two I liked Pol marginally better, probably because she (like me) is a twin.:)

Lol - I think most of the Tamul Empresses could go on the voyage to the island of annoying characters for me. Betuana was one of the better characters, and I quite liked Aslade as well, even though she wasn't one of the warrior type characters. Salmissra would be a redeemable character without question!

Slightly off-topic (or maybe back on topic), whenever I read the Tamuli, I always saw Kelsey Grammar and David Hyde Pierce (Frasier and Niles in Frasier - perhaps in character) as Oscagne and Itagne respectively. Not in appearance, just in mannerisms/character. Isn't that odd? Mind you, it's been a long day...:)

Lol - I just thought of something. Isn't the Atana that Itagne seduces called Maris? Bit of a coincidence.:)

Slight edit: Maybe I should've posted this in the If there was a film...? thread.:)

OMG - Grammar and Pierce would be perfect for the roles. What a good call! And I do think that the Atana Itagne seduced was named Maris. hee hee - It was meant to be then!

I liked Aslade up until the whole - "just invite my husbands mistress over to the farm, he cheated on me, but hey, it's okay" thing. I wouldn't put her on the ship though, not for that.

Can we be any chance happen to book a particular ship for this voyage to the Island of Annoying Characters?

Oh, I forgot about Aslade asking Elys to move in. Well, she was a good character up until that point. How about Taiba? Would she be a redeemable character?

There must be more redeemable female characters in the books. Otherwise that ship to the Island would be very crowded.:) *starts racking her brain*

Eh, I think Taiba was okay. I wouldn't put her on the Island.

Alean always annoyed me a bit, she was too submissive, and dull, and just whiny compared to the others. Maybe I'm just biased and didn't think she was worthy of Kalten :p But I'd ship her off.

xXx

Well, if no one stands in the way of Ulath then I'll agree to shipping off Alean. Besides - Ehlana would likely be devastated about not having a servant. ;)

Oh! Arissa! Actually, I think her taking care of the rest of the annoying characters on the Island would grant her forgiveness. Not that she'd be allowed off the island. Girl has a problem with poisoning people.

Are there no men destined for the Island?

Hmmm..... HappyHippo, I think we can share Ulath. I'm sure he would be willing to make the sacrifice.

Hmm, annoying men destined for the island... I'll have to think about that. Part of me would like to suggest Relg, simply for the "don't touch me!" thing, but I suppose that wouldn't be a good enough reason.:)

Back