Recommended books?

cade_01

Science fiction fantasy
What are some books that you have read that you would recommend to a person? Why would you recommend it? Was it really good or was it bearable?

For Star Wars? Anything by Timothy Zahn is good, fast paced, and well written. I was also quite impressed by the X-Wing series.
The best books to come out of Star Wars so far are the Grand Admiral Thrawn trilogy.

For Star Wars? Anything by Timothy Zahn is good, fast paced, and well written.

The above opinion is very acurate. However Zahn's first three Star Wars titles (Heir To The Empire, Dark Force Rising, and Last Command) are by far his best. Since these were the first Extended Universe titles published, Zahn was not creatively constrained by the events other (lesser authors in my opinion) authors have written.

Most of his later stuff has so been constrained.

I was also quite impressed by the X-Wing series.
The best books to come out of Star Wars so far are the Grand Admiral Thrawn trilogy.
Michael A. Stackpole is good for the first 3 books tops. After that his writing gets somewhat annoying, I think. All his NJO characters were written as though they should have been flying x-wings instead of wielding lightsabers.

"I Jedi" was sort of a joke.

Last edited:
I, Jedi was a good book if you liked the character already :) I found him mildly annoying in places, but then I don't have to meet the guy, just read about him kicking the crap out of the bad guys :D

"I Jedi" probably was a good book. I couldn't get passed the 1st person narrative. I never can... Although I liked Corran Horn in the first 3 X-Wing books, he annoyed me later with every appearance.

"Splinter of the Mind's Eye" was surprisingly enjoyable. It had a certain charm that many Star Wars novels fail to emulate.

I thought "Shadows of the Empire" was ok. I think it could have been better. In fact, I'm almost certain it would have been, had Zahn written it. I just had a hard time taking the characters and the plot seriously. Xizor seemed a little on the immature side. I found it difficult to believe someone like him could go toe-to-toe with Darth Vader behind the scenes.

Zahn usually develops the characters better than other SWEU authors do. He develops his plot way more, thus giving his writing a sense of prestige. It's almost immediately apparent when you compare him with any of the other SWEU writers. Plus a lot of the other books seem a lot like a bad Soap Opera to me. If the X-Wing series didn't have such good ACTION, it would be totally Soapy.:)

I am getting annoyed. My readings of SW books have been stopped by none other then all the greedy people in the world. Yes thats right. I have looked in quite a few secondhand bookshops and found a grand total of two SW books, one of which I have read and didn't want and the other one I can borrow off a friend. My sister works in a bookshop as well so I can ask her when SW books come in but they are never the ones I want. It gets annoying after a while.

Oh I reckon there are enough. You would be surprised at the demand for Star Wars books.

My favorites:

Republic Commando: Hard Contact

Republic Commando: Triple Zero

Darth Bane: Path of Destruction

Labyrinth of Evil

Outbound Flight

The Thrawn Trilogy

I'd say there's at least 4 Zahn books in there. He's written quite a few Star Wars titles by now. Most of the tie in well with his original trilogy. "Outbound Flight" is definitely his.

I'm pretty sure it has C'boath in it. I heard Anikan and Obi Wan play a role as well.

I read Outbound Flight - it was okay but I'm not a fan of the prequel setting. Have just borrowed Zahn's new one, Allegiance, which deals with events immediately following A New Hope. Hoping it's good...

I read Outbound Flight - it was okay but I'm not a fan of the prequel setting. Have just borrowed Zahn's new one, Allegiance, which deals with events immediately following A New Hope. Hoping it's good...

The prequels don't appeal to many people, largely because there was so much story the movies couldn't tell. There were a lot of great themes.

Did you know Palpatine had the Serperatists capture him before the beginning of "Revenge of the Sith" because the jedi were getting too close to discovering Darth Sidious?

It basically forced him to bump his plans forward. so Palpatine wasn't so all-seeing as he seems to be. He set up the whole battle of Coruscant in order to cover his tracks, get rid of Dooku, and play Anikan for a sucker, all at the same time.

He tried to have Kenobi killed, but of course, that failed. No body's perfect

Of course there are some Star Wars books which should be avoided at all costs *Cough*Corellian Trilogy*Cough*
You know, the kind in which the author hasn't done any research on technical terms or character history.

Of course there are some Star Wars books which should be avoided at all costs *Cough*Corellian Trilogy*Cough*
You know, the kind in which the author hasn't done any research on technical terms or character history.

How about the authors who haven't even seen the movies?*Cough*Crystal Star*Cough*by Vonda N. McIntyre*Cough*

I learned one thing from that book -- Never mess with Waru

Ah yes, Crystal star was also a travesty. Most of the books are fairly well written, although I thought the Black Fleet Crisis trilogy lacked momentum.

Did you know Palpatine had the Serperatists capture him before the beginning of "Revenge of the Sith" because the jedi were getting too close to discovering Darth Sidious?

It basically forced him to bump his plans forward. so Palpatine wasn't so all-seeing as he seems to be. He set up the whole battle of Coruscant in order to cover his tracks, get rid of Dooku, and play Anikan for a sucker, all at the same time.

He tried to have Kenobi killed, but of course, that failed. No body's perfect
I knew all that having read Revenge Of The Sith. Better book then the movie.

I shall remember not to read those books just mentioned as well.

Ah, yes.

THE BLACK FLEET CRISIS

Palpatine: "Yes...yes. Can it be done?"

Michael P. Kube McDowell: "I will finish this, or die, my Master."

Momentum? Pah! Those books added nothing to the overall story. How can you DO that with a trilogy?

I have to say, I was duped by the clear cover work at the time.

I shall remember not to read those books just mentioned as well.

another book I didn't especially like was "Planet of Twilight. It was a needless footnote that provided the close of a really SOAPY part of the ongoing story. I also don't think a Hutt with a lightsaber and a hag that eats bugs is a very good idea.

You might want to stay away from "Planet of Twilight" Some of these people have the hardest time writing Star Wars novels. Just having the characters isn't enough.