World Of Science Fiction

Foxbat

None The Wiser
Supporter
By Forest J. Ackerman.

First published in 1997, it is a hardback bible for anybody wishing to know a bit about the history of Science Fiction.

With a preface by A. E. Van Vogt, and friends including the likes of the two Rays (Harryhausen and Bradbury) you know that you are dealing with somebody owning a encyclopedic eye in the inner circle of 20th century Sci-Fi literature and film.

The book opens with some wonderful double page photographs from Metropolis, Flash Gordon, Star Trek and Invasion Of The body Snatchers.

It is written in an easy to follow format, which (almost chronological) starts with an introduction to the 19th century figures that are argued to be the founders of what we now call Science Fiction (for a while, it was called Scientifiction). It follows with a section on the early pulp magazines that did so much to bring the genre to the attention of so many.

There are small sections devoted to the ‘notables’ of the genre – detailing their contribution both in terms of ideas and important works of literature. Some are well known to most of us - H.G. Wells, Isaac Asimov. Others not so well known – David H. Keller, John Taine, S. Fowler Wright. Also, interspersed throughout this book are some wonderful reproductions of some covers of the early magazines that are simply a joy to behold. Some titles I’ve never heard of: Wonder Stories, Planet Stories, Famous Fantastic Mysteries and Super Science Stories

The book also covers Sci-Fi on the silver screen and TV – everything from the Flash Gordon serials to Star Wars. Then, there are sections dedicated to specific ideas within the genre - like time travel and monsters and other concepts that have driven minds and imaginations onward to new speculation and wonder.

It was once said that Ackerman’s impressive collection of Science Fiction memorabilia was the ‘Fort Knox’ of the genre – and that, if he had not existed, then somebody would have had to invent him. Such is the esteem this man is held within the community.

It would be impossible to cover the complete history of the genre in a book of this size (240 pages). Instead, it casts a brief, nostalgic and slightly personal eye across the important stages in the evolution of Science Fiction. Where I have found it particularly helpful is in identifying little-known authors that might be worth reading.

Filled with trivia, memories, anecdotes and history – this book is a must for the Sience Fiction Nerd – and in those ranks I stand…head held high as I salute one of the people that filled my head with this wonderful vision of past, present and (most definitely future). :)

Foxbat said:
It was once said that Ackerman’s impressive collection of Science Fiction memorabilia was the ‘Fort Knox’ of the genre – and that, if he had not existed, then somebody would have had to invent him. Such is the esteem this man is held within the community.
:D Forry is a treasure. I haven't read this book, but I did have the pleasure of hearing him hold forth at LosCon a few years ago. Ray Bradbury, who is great friends with Mr. Ackerman as you allude to in your review, Foxbat, was scheduled to speak, but he fell ill and wasn't able to attend the con. So, Forry, who is a member of LASFS (the club that puts LosCon on), sat in for him and basically told stories for ninety minutes or so. He has pretty much known everyone who has ever been anyone in science fiction since the 1920s or 30s, has collected just about every collectible that means anything in the field (although I've heard that he's been having to sell off some of the collection), and is one of the best storytellers I've ever come across. I'm going to have to read this one.

By the way, if you haven't done so already, you might like to visit Forrest Ackerman's website .

It's very sad that he has had to sell off some of his collection. We can only hope that they go to good homes. I understand that about 25,000 people have visited his collection - that's probably as good an attendance as some museums get :)

Back