book recommendation

supergirl

Hi again!

This time I'm not looking for a book that I've already read but quite the opposite - something I've never come across. I'd like to read something about humans (or any kind of creatures) that have telepathic, telekinetic and/or empathic skills - something like Joan D. Vinge's "Cat" series, or Robin Hobb's "Farseer" and "Tawny Man" series. Any ideas? I intend to read everything you suggest :)

Thanks in advance!

Well, that was fast! Thanks Iansales! Nice and impressive list - it's in my bookmarks now.

What I had in mind, though, were your personal experience and impressions - a book that made you remember it.

I can't say I've read many books based around characters with ESP - well, none that spring immediately to mind. Except perhaps Robert Silverberg's Dying Inside and James Blish's Jack of Eagles. Both, incidentally, are good - in fact, the Silverberg is an SF Masterwork.

No doubt I'll think of more titles as soon as I post this...

The obvious choice is 'Carrie' by Stephen King. His debut novel and one of his best IMHO.

Though Ian is likely to disagree with me on this one, since you asked for personal recommendations (I'll also be referring to the list provided):

The Demolished Man, by Alfred Bester -- high on the list, in my opinion
Slan -- a classic, but I think with more flaws
Odd John, by Olaf Stapledon -- a bit cold for most modern readers, but a very well-thought-out depiction of the idea, I think
I'd definitely recommend The Martian Chronicles, though telepathy is a thread that runs through a fair amount of the book, not the focus overall
I'd also add The October Country or From the Dust Returned, as Cecy is an odd sort of empath/telepath
Puppet Masters -- if you like Heinlein in general, this would definitely appeal; if not, some of his ideas may be irritating; but it is a wonderful suspense story, nonetheless
More Than Human, by Theodore Sturgeon -- wonderful book; should not be missed
The Forever Machine (a.k.a. They'd Rather Be Right), by Clifton and Riley -- I find it an interesting book which grows with rereadings, but it is very awkwardly written ... it's the ideas that carry this book rather than the story itself
While it's not a full book, "The Game of Rat and Dragon", by Cordwainer Smith, uses the theme of empathic/telepathic connection with animals
Colin Wilson's The Philosopher's Stone -- uses Lovecraftian concepts, but in an inverted way; quite a good novel, overall
Lord of Light, by Zelazny
Minikins of Yam, by Thomas Burnett Swann (I'd actually suggest quite a few of Swann's books as well worth reading)
Space War Blues, by Richard A. Lupoff -- very strange book, a bit difficult in some spots, but well worth reading
Necromancer, by Robert Holdstock (I'd also strongly suggest his Mythago Wood, though it's not on this theme)
Mother London, by Michael Moorcock -- definitely, one of M.M.'s best -- though very different from most of his work
The Blood Red Game, also by Moorcock -- somewhat dated in style, but with some very interesting concepts going on there
Carrion Comfort, by Dan Simmons -- psychic vampires; a very good modern horror novel
Ingathering (or any of the collections/novels about The People), by Zenna Henderson
Though I find the books to be very uneven (even within a single novel), you might enjoy some of Lumley's Necroscope books -- one who has telepathic communication with the dead
Harlan Ellison has also used telepathy of sorts in some of his stories, most notably "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream", "The Region Between", "The Deathbird", "Blind Lightning"...
Threshold, by Caitlin R. Kiernan, uses it as well... a flawed, by atmospherically powerful, book

Ha! Some, yes, I disagree with :) Much as I like The Stars My Destination, I've always hated The Demolished Man. Also, I don't remember ESP in The Puppet Masters - but it's been many years since I read it.

Ha! Some, yes, I disagree with :) Much as I like The Stars My Destination, I've always hated The Demolished Man. Also, I don't remember ESP in The Puppet Masters - but it's been many years since I read it.

On P.M. -- I suppose it depends on your definition. I think the reason it's included is because they are mind-controlling entities who are capable of guiding your thoughts in "approved" channels, and away from those which might question them, etc.

I've got to admit that I'm curious... perhaps you already have done, but if not, I'd like to hear why you feel this way about The Demolished Man.

Oh, and I should have included Wyndham's The Chrysalids, as well... a slightly flawed book toward the end, but otherwise one I'd recommend quite highly. One might also consider Poul Anderson's story, "Call Me Joe"; while a certain level of telepathy (linked to mind-exchange) also plays a large role in both "The Dreams in the Witch House" and "The Shadow out of Time", by H. P. Lovecraft.

I've got to admit that I'm curious... perhaps you already have done, but if not, I'd like to hear why you feel this way about The Demolished Man.

I'm not sure why I took against it so much. I seem to recall finding the plot contrived, and the typographical tricks struck me as a particularly poor of representing what they were trying to represent. I know the book is held up as a masterwork - indeed, it's No. 14 in the SF Masterworks series - which is probably why I found it so disappointing.

A case of too great expectation, perhaps? That could do it, yes. I've been lucky with that, for some reason -- darned if I know what it is. When it came to that particular novel, I'd only heard about it from one person (I was in high school at the time), and read it in Damon Knight's A Science Fiction Argosy -- another very good anthology, by the way, which also has some stories using telepathy, including More Than Human and "The Game of Rat and Dragon", as well as Poul Anderson's "Journey's End":

WorldCat: A science fiction argosy.

So I suppose I hadn't had my expectations built up, and therefore quite enjoyed the book. I can see where you'd feel the plot is contrived -- it is, to some degree -- but I must admit I found it both enjoyable and felt that the depiction of the society (including the telepaths) was done well, with wit and panache. But I can also see where, with having heard all the praise of it, one could find it disappointing...

How about the McCaffrey "Pegasus" series, or even Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover books? Both situations where psionic talents are accepted in society, rather than individuals rejected by those without the gifts?

I can see where you'd feel the plot is contrived -- it is, to some degree -- but I must admit I found it both enjoyable and felt that the depiction of the society (including the telepaths) was done well, with wit and panache.

I admit I'll often find it difficult to look beyond an author's lack of rigour or authenticity in their novel's setting. For example, I'm currently in the middle of Time and Again by Clifford Simak. It was written in 1951, is set in 7990, but features a letter written in 1987... Except that the letter reads more like it was written in 1907. The central premise of the novel - a war across time - is interesting; the reason for that war - destiny as a sort of mental symbiote - is quite original... but the execution is more Mark Twain than any real attempt to imagine a future 6000 years hence. That failure can spoil a book for me.

Hey guys! You're great!!! Now I have a long and wonderful list of books and stories that will keep me occupied for months! Keep on posting! And I'm going on a library raid!

>Supergirl is looking for books about people/beasts with telepathic links?

Andre Norton's earlier books around the 'Storm Over Warlock" had quite a few of these people/sentient animals pairs. 'Beast Master' is another. I think the Warlock book was part of a trilogy of the same person/beast. Another great series (7 books, I think) is the Cheysuli series of ... oops!

a guy called isaac asimov wrote a few books about robots, you might've heard of him. you have? oh good. one of his robots was called Giskard who had the power to read human's emotions. i think he's in a few of asimov's books, but the one i read recently was Robots and Empire - i would strongly recommend it to EVERYONE here...except those who have already read it as they need no recommendations....