Buffy comics, season 8

Carolyn Hill

Brown Rat, wandering & wondering
Is anybody reading the Buffy comics that Dark Horse is publishing? The first issue came out in March 2007. Josh Whedon is writing the scripts, and the comics tell the story of what would have been season 8 if the series hadn't been canceled.

I've read the first three issues and am waiting for the fourth to come out in a week or so. I'm loving them. It's good to see what all the characters are up to, post-series-finale. Xander has really come into his own (he's drool-worthy on the cover of issue 2), Andrew is still full of geek-speak (he natters on amusingly about Star Wars in issue 2), and Buffy isn't really dating The Immortal (sigh of relief).

Granted, it's not film. But the panels are cleverly laid out, and the artists draw the characters accurately. Gorgeous pencil and ink work. Hooray!

I think they're fantastic so far. Not sure I agree they're "what would've happened in Season 8," because if Season 8 had been a possibility, they never would've destroyed Sunnydale. But it does have elements of the spin-offs that didn't materialize (Slayer School, the Faith series--which is the next big storyline) writ large (since budget is no longer a factor).

I absolutely bought into it from the beginning: these are the same characters and relationships in a different format... not some licensed tripe.

I think the thing I'm liking most is the way Whedon has resurrected the whole Xander/Buffy thing. Good googly moogly, please let them end up together!!

Though if they do one thing in this project, they have to resurrect Tara--which Whedon wanted to do in Season 7, but Amber Benson wasn't into it. (And, besides the opportunity to do Nick Fury jokes early and often, I can't think why Willow hasn't found a way to restore Xander's eye by now.)

I think the thing I'm liking most is the way Whedon has resurrected the whole Xander/Buffy thing. Good googly moogly, please let them end up together!!

***spoiler***

Yeh, I was kinda surprised when Buffy dreamt about Xander in issue 3 . . . and then I thought, well, what the heck, why not. He's obviously matured over the years, and his eyepatch is manly-looking. I wonder, though, if he's the one that kissed her back into consciousness. I assume he is, and most of the panels indicate that he's in love with her, but in the panel at the bottom of what I think would be page 18 (if there were page numbers), Willow has a funny look on her face right after Buffy asks, "Hey! Who kissed me?" So there may be a small chance that Willow kissed her.

Renee has definitely got a crush on Xander. That could complicate any Buffy-Xandering.

I think it's pretty clear it was Xander. When Willow's giving her whole speech about knowing that someone in the room is in love with Buffy, even if they don't want to admit it to themselves, and that person has to just suck it up and kiss her -- while everyone else closes their eyes on pain of *losing* them -- it culminates on a close-up of Xander, where she just says, "OK?"

In the next panel, Buffy is sitting up, awake. Had to be Xander. (Besides, we know he's been in love with her all this time--They just de-emphasized that plot many seasons ago.)

I'm also following the new comic series (please refer to the "episode" threads, and please post :)!). I'm not a Bander fan, and also think that Buffy should focus on her upcoming battle against the new Big Bad (in the plural sense ;)). But I like how Xander took charge during his squad's first battle against the military, and I'm glad that Buffy finally gave him a promotion. And it'll be interesting to see how Willow fits in, since so far she's only shown up to help battle Amy (which, unfortunately, didn't turn out too well).

I haven't read this whole thread, but darnit! I wanna ban ALL of those smushed-name things that refer to 'ships. I hate them. They've become so prolific, they're like cockroaches. Ugh. Can't people just type out Buffy/Xander? For one, it makes it so much easier for the 'newbies' to the fandom and random outsiders.

Sorry - that's the only thing that caught my eye as I scrolled through the thread to see if it needed sticky-ing.

Done ranting... carry on. *g*

Is anybody reading the [Buffy comics that Dark Horse is publishing[/URL]? The first issue came out in March 2007. Josh Whedon is writing the scripts, and the comics tell the story of what would have been season 8 if the series hadn't been canceled.

I've read the first three issues and am waiting for the fourth to come out in a week or so. I'm loving them. It's good to see what all the characters are up to, post-series-finale. Xander has really come into his own (he's drool-worthy on the cover of issue 2[/URL]), Andrew is still full of geek-speak (he natters on amusingly about Star Wars in issue 2), and Buffy isn't really dating The Immortal (sigh of relief).

Granted, it's not film. But the panels are cleverly laid out, and the artists draw the characters accurately. Gorgeous pencil and ink work. Hooray!
Honestly. Don't buy that trash. Sure Joss is still involved with the stories to an extent, but the best writers like jane Esperson are gone. The story is horrid and totally not in character. First of all Buffy becomes gay, she sleeps with another slayer, which is so stupid. She was fine with Willows choice of course, but she was totally not gay before. Second of all there is an overdose of Xander. He isn't the funny, loser Xander. He is now another super chick. And he is super annoying. There are no characters with any testosterone, and Buffy the show had some awesome strong male characters. Oh..btw..Dracula is also gay and into Xander. he bsicly just uses him to get to Buffy in the show...but now he is gay too. Which is actually more repulsive then Im telling you. If you want a good vampire comic thats funny and scincere try "Life Sucks" it's great. Don't waste your money on the Buffy comix. They would never have made a season like that anyhow. Its totally not like the show. Even the whole Dawn is now a giant and they all live together(as if a bunch of twenty year old women would ever decide to live in a nunnery esentially away from all men!) in a castle in Scotland!

Ouch, Maria welcome to the Chrons, and what a vitrolic first post, those poor old Buffy Comics mus be burning like a staked Vampire eh?

Honestly. Don't buy that trash. Sure Joss is still involved with the stories to an extent

To an extent? Like planning the storyarc for every issue, writing the key storyline tales and overseeing and handpicking each writer on the title, much like he did on the television show

, but the best writers like jane Esperson are gone.

Hmm, good point. It seems that most of the writers are award winning comic book writers or award winning novelists, which means that they are not in the same league as the TV writers. Sorry Brian K. Vaughan, Jim Krueger and Brad Meltzer... wait, wait I do believe some of the other contributers include a certain Mr Whedon and a few other Buffy veterans including Doug Petrie, Steven S DeKnight & Drew Goddard all who wrote some of the more popular Buffy or Angel episodes. Not to mention Jeph Loeb writer and producr on Lost. Oh yes and Jane Espenson who not only wrote a one off Harmony issue, but has a five issue tale in the works featuring Oz.

The story is horrid and totally not in character. First of all Buffy becomes gay, she sleeps with another slayer, which is so stupid.

Okay I really sort of agree with this, for me this little development did sort of grate a little, and I did not really like it. But Buffy has not become gay, it was a bit of experimentation that she did, and moved on. And when you think about it, her luck with men has not been too good and her best frined seems to be very happy with her life choice, why wouldn't she try it for herself.

She was fine with Willows choice of course, but she was totally not gay before. Second of all there is an overdose of Xander. He isn't the funny, loser Xander. He is now another super chick. And he is super annoying.

It would be easy to say Xander has always been super annoying. And yes he has changed, but then he has been through a lot, the least of which was losing his eye to Caleb. He is a more mature person, in command of a whole army of Slayers and is a strong male character. I would not even say there is an oversose of him.

There are no characters with any testosterone,

This is almost true, but there are male characters, Giles has been seen as has Andrew; there has been a glimpse of Riley and of course not to mention Xander - and in an upcoming storyline Oz (Oh yeah, 5 issues written by Jane Espenson)

and Buffy the show had some awesome strong male characters. Oh..btw..Dracula is also gay and into Xander. he bsicly just uses him to get to Buffy in the show...but now he is gay too.

I think this is a matter of interpretation again, I did not read Dracula as being gay, as such, more androgynous

Which is actually more repulsive then Im telling you. If you want a good vampire comic thats funny and scincere try "Life Sucks" it's great. Don't waste your money on the Buffy comix. They would never have made a season like that anyhow. Its totally not like the show.

Perhaps. But then Season 7 of Buffy bears very little resemblance to Season 1, and if there had been a Season 8 there is no reason it would have gone in a new direction like this - especially as there are no budgetry restraints on the printed page so you can do things that would be too expensive on television. Like have Dawn a giant - or indeed a Centaur as she is now.

Even the whole Dawn is now a giant and they all live together(as if a bunch of twenty year old women would ever decide to live in a nunnery esentially away from all men!) in a castle in Scotland!

Well nuns do actually decide to live together... and the Slayers are something new learning to come to terms with their powers and abilities, and then they go out into the world to fight the vampires and demons that are out there, all directed by the remaining watchers under the command of Xander.

Yes the comic series is not like the televison series, but it is a forward motion, a change. I suspect from your words that there is one aspect of the series that you don't like, and that has poisoned your view of the rest. It is not a perfect series, but it is a good series, and it is most certainly Buffy, a series that has been put together in much the same way as it was when on TV, controlled by Mr Whedon using a talented group of writers and entertaining the Buffy fans!

Except one. ;)

These just sound kind of weird and not worth the read. I don't want to spoil my cherished memories of the Buffy I knew and loved from the show. Thoughts?

Okay, sdorot, they're not as good as the TV series, I can't argue with that. And to be honest they do things that could not have been done on TV because of budgetary reasons.

But they are a genuine continuation of the show, guided and written by the same people who did the show.

I've really enjoyed them and think that they are well worth a look!

I've enjoyed all the Season 8 comics to date. A number of the stand alone issues leave something to be desired, but so do some tv episodes. I'm surprised at the harsh comments. However, I wonder at the motivation behind it. It's been interesting reading the fan mail at the end of each issue. Aparently the issue in which Buffy slept with another slayer caused more turmoil with the fanbase than anything before in the comics. The editor was joking that more people were upset with Buffy and another woman than any of the other characters sleeping with non-human creatures.

***spoiler***

Yeh, I was kinda surprised when Buffy dreamt about Xander in issue 3 . . . and then I thought, well, what the heck, why not. He's obviously matured over the years, and his eyepatch is manly-looking. I wonder, though, if he's the one that kissed her back into consciousness. I assume he is, and most of the panels indicate that he's in love with her, but in the panel at the bottom of what I think would be page 18 (if there were page numbers), Willow has a funny look on her face right after Buffy asks, "Hey! Who kissed me?" So there may be a small chance that Willow kissed her.

Renee has definitely got a crush on Xander. That could complicate any Buffy-Xandering.

**** Buffy was dreaming about Spike and Angel, not Xander and Spike***

Has anyone got hold of a copy of the "Motion Comics" version of the first 19 issues of the Buffy season 8 graphic novels? I saw it on Amazon the other day when looking for things my other half could get me for Christmas (yes, I'm reduced to that, I'm afraid...), and wondered what it might be like.

If you have no idea what I'm talking about, go to Amazon and type "Buffy Season 8 Motion Comic" into the search box, and you should see it... :)

Have you managed to read any of the series 8 comics yet, Roxy? If so, what do you think?

I just finished volume 7 in the graphic novel version, which collects the four Twilight issues with two Whedon-penned standalones, and it was just as good as the earlier ones. Being the penultimate volume in the series though, it also contained some big reveals which I won't spoil here. Well worth getting hold of! :)

Probably ought to start a new thread here, but perhaps there's no interest? I've just read the first five issues of Buffy Season 9, collected together as 'Volume 1: Freefall'. It came out in July 2012, so I'm nearly a year behind (story of my life...). It's great - fun stories, great characterisation and perhaps less of the oddities that made the Season 8 comics so ... different.

Anyone else here read any of Buffy Season 9? What did you think? Or has everyone moved on from the Buffyverse now? :(

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Brian G Turner Buffy 1
Brian G Turner Buffy 12
Brian G Turner Buffy 16
Overread Buffy 15
REBerg Buffy 12