Question about The Dresden Files

Nikitta

Silly Person
I just picked up Blood Rites by Jim Butcher because it looked interesting and funny, plus it was on sale.

After bringing the book home, I realised that it's the sixth book in a series and now I wonder if that means that there will be a lot of things in the book that will make no sense to me or if I can still enjoy it without having read the first five books.

I'd like to hear what those of you who have read the books think

There will certainly be past events and characters that are mentioned you will know nothing about.

Probably best to start at the beginning.

I would help to read the first few novels. You could always go to the Jim Butcher website to come up to speed.

I think it could be read on its own but it would be better to have read the others first. Butcher does a pretty good job of explaining most things in each book, even if it is just "Yes, I have a faerie godmother."

I just picked and read the first book in the series and grabbed the third since it was the next one available at my current location. I got turned onto the series by the SciFi channel series of the same name. There are lots of differences between the books and the series but the TV series gives voices to the characters in the books and the books give a lot more understanding to the world that they inhabit than the TV could. I've found it fun on both sides and hope they both continue.

You need to start at the beginning for this series, and personally I think you wont find a better one in the theme :D

Thanks for the replies.

I will get the first one in the series and then see how I like it. If I do like it, I will then have to buy number 2 - 5 too. All because I didn't look properly at the book at the bookshop.