Series:

Heinlein's Future History

Methuselah's Children(1941)
The Man Who Sold the Moon (1950)
The Green Hills of Earth (1951)
Revolt in 2100 (1953)
Orphans of the Sky (1963)
The Past Through Tomorrow (1967)
Time Enough for Love:The Lives of Lazarus Long (1973)

Novels:

Sixth Column (1941) writing as Anson McDonald aka The Day After Tomorrow
Rocket Ship Galileo (1947)
Space Cadet (1948)
Beyond This Horizon (1948)
Red Planet (1949)
Farmer in the Sky (1950) aka Satellite Scout
Between Planets (1951) aka Planets in Combat
The Puppet Masters (1951)
The Rolling Stones (1952) aka Trump Space Ship
Starman Jones (1953)
The Star Beast (1954) aka Star Lummox
Double Star (1955)
Tunnel in the Sky (1955)
Time for the Stars (1956)
The Door Into Summer (1957)
Citizen of the Galaxy (1957)
Have Spacesuit - Will Travel (1958)
Starship Troopers (1959) aka Starship Soldier
Stranger in a Strange Land (1961)
Podkayne of Mars (1962)
Glory Road (1963)
Farnham's Freehold (1964)
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (1966)
Space Family Stone (1969)
I Will Fear No Evil (1970)
The Day After Tomorrow (1976)
The Number of the Beast (1979)
Friday (1982)
Job:A Comedy of Justice (1984)
The Cat Who Walks Through Walls:A Comedy of Manners (1985)
To Sail Beyond the Sunset (1987)
For Us the Living:A Comedy of Customs (2004)

Chapbooks

The Notebooks of Lazarus Long (1978)

Collections

Waldo and Magic Inc. (1950)
Expanded Universe (1951)
Assingment in Eternity (1953)
The Robert Heinlein Omnibus (omnibus)(1958)
The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathon Hoag (1959) aka 6xH
The Menace from Earth (1959)
Lost Legacy (1960)
Three by Heinlein (1965) aka A Heinlein Triad
The Worlds of Robert A Heinlein (1966)
The Best of Robert Heinlein (1973)
Lifeline (1980)
A Heinlein Trio (omnibus)(1980)
The Fantasies of Robert Heinlein (1986)
Ordeal in Space (1989)
Requiem: And Tributes to the Grand Master (1991) with Yoji Kondo
Revolt in 2100/ Methuselah's Children (omnibus)(1998)

Anthologies Edited

Tomorrow the Stars (1951)

Non Fiction

Grumbles from the Grave (1989)
Take Back Your Government!:A Practical Handbook for the Private Citizen Who Wants Democracy to Work (1992) aka How to be a Politician
Tramp Royale (1992) with Virginia Heinlein

Anthologies containing stories by Robert Heinlein

Beyond Time and Space (1950)
Best SF 2 (1956)
A Treasury of Great Science Fiction, Volume 1 (1959)
A Treasury of Great Science Fiction, Volume 2 (1959)
Spectrum (1962)
Fifty Short Science Fiction Tales (1963)
The Best Science Fiction Stories 3 (1964)
A Century of Great Short Science Fiction Novels (1964)
Tales of Science Fiction (1964)
Science Fiction for People Who Hate Science Fiction (1966)
Tomorrow's Children (1966)
The Future Makers (1968)
14 Great Tales of ESP (1969)
The Others (1969)
Science Fiction Hall of Fame Volume 1 (1970)
The Golden Road (1973)
Science Fiction Hall of Fame Volume 2A (1973)
Science Fiction - The Great Years: Volume Two (1974)
Classic Science Fiction (1978)
The Great SF Stories One: 1939 (1978)
A Treasury of Modern Fantasy (1981)
Election Day 2084: Science Fiction Stories About the Future of Politics (1984)
Great Science Fiction of the 20th Century (1987)
New Destinies, Vol. VII (1988)
Between Time and Terror (1990)
Shadows of Fear (1992)
The Ascent of Wonder (1994)
Space Movies: Classic Science Fiction Films (1995)
The Mammoth Book of Fantasy All-Time Greats (1998) aka The Fantasy Hall of Fame
The Unexplained: Stories of the Paranormal (1998)
Bangs and Whimpers: Stories About the End of the World (1999)
The SFWA Grand Masters (1999)
Vintage Science Fiction (1999)

Short Stories

Lifeline (1939)
Misfit (1939)
And He Built a Crooked House (1940)
Blowups Happen (1940)
Magic Inc. (1940) aka The Devil Makes the Law
The Roads Must Roll (1940)
Beyond Doubt (1941) with Elma Wentz
By His Bootstraps (1941) (writing as Anson MacDonald)
They (1941)
Universe (1941)
Goldfish Bowl (1942)
The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathon Hoag (1942)
Waldo (1942)
Columbus Was a Dope (1947)
Destination Moon (1947)
The Green Hills of Earth (1947)
It's Great to Be Back (1947)
Water is for Washing (1947)
Gulf (1949)
The Long Watch (1949)
Our Fair City (1949)
The Man Who Sold the Moon (1950)
The Year of the Jackpot (1952)
Project Nightmare (1953)
Sky Lift (1953)
The Menace from Earth (1957)
All You Zombies (1959)
This I Believe (1989)

Source: http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/

Last edited:
Many of his novels and stories are quite connected to one another of course. In addition to the "Future History" books there are his "World as Myth" books, which is also a series of sorts and these are all slightly inter-related, as the following schematic suggests. I cribbed this off the interweb, but the reading order may be useful:
kuOkQ.png

There's a minor error in the bibliography. The Mammoth Book of Fantasy All-Time Greats does not contain a Heinlein story.
It is a variant edition of The Fantasy Hall of Fame, edited by Robert Silverberg and Martin H. Greenberg and originally published by Arbor House in 1983.

Now comes the confusing bit. A completely different book, also called The Fantasy Hall of Fame, edited by Robert Silverberg (without Martin H. Greenberg), was published by HarperPrism in 1998. It contains Heinlein's story "Our Fair City". The Mammoth Book has nothing to do with this one.

So, in short, it is the 1998 Fantasy Hall of Fame that should be listed, not the 1983 one, and the reference to the Mammoth Book should be deleted.

There's more than a minor error. ;) I've never seen a Heinlein bibliography without errors and I'm sure I'm not going to be the first, but I'll try to address some of the problems with the fantasticfiction.co.uk list above (I've never been impressed with their lists). I'm not even going to address the individual short story listing, though, as it's hopelessly incomplete (seems to have about half the needed items) and likely is as inaccurate as the book lists. (People who don't care about the details should probably just skip to the revised listing below.)

Sixth Column is listed with its pseudonym under its serialization date of 1941 and Beyond This Horizon is listed without its pseudonym under its book publication date of 1948. They should be consistent: Beyond This Horizon was serialized in 1942 and Sixth Column's book publication was 1949 and both, being non-Future History tales but being upper tier, were as by Anson MacDonald. Between Planets should probably be listed after The Puppet Masters. (It drives me nuts that I have never been able to find out the month of publication of most of Heinlein's books anywhere.) The variant title of The Rolling Stones was "Tramp Space Ship." (*shudders* The difference a letter makes.) Double Star was 1956 and should come between Tunnel in the Sky and Time for the Stars. Podkayne of Mars was 1963. Space Family Stone is not its own book but only a UK variant title of The Rolling Stones (wonder why they changed it? :)) The Day After Tomorrow is also not its own book (and not from 1976), as the list itself lists it properly as a variant of Sixth Column.

The Future History stuff needs to be better explained, as well. Methuselah's Children and Time Enough for Love are novels featuring Lazarus Long but he and other characters appear in several somewhat interconnected novels (basically the World as Myth stuff as described above). The Man Who Sold the Moon, The Green Hills of Earth, Revolt in 2100, and The Past Through Tomorrow are all FH collections but The Past Through Tomorrow is almost identical to the first three collections plus Methuselah's Children. The only difference is that it switches one non-FH story for two FH stories that escaped the main three collections. It cuts "Let There Be Light" from The Man Who Sold the Moon and adds "The Menace from Earth," which appeared in the collection of the same name and "Searchlight," which appeared in The Worlds of Robert A. Heinlein. (It's actually more complicated than this in a couple of ways, but that's close enough.) Finally, Orphans of the Sky is variously described as a collection, fixup, or novel. It consists of two related stories, "Universe" (collected in The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag but cut from the paperback version 6xH) and "Common Sense." I just think of it as the fourth FH collection but people who don't like collections can think of it as a novel if it'll help. I'm not aware that it was especially modified, though, so I tend to not think of it as a fixup.

And rather than, or in addition to, splitting out the FH stuff, it would probably be helpful to split out, or at least mark, the juveniles, or at least the core set of 12 annual Scribners volumes.

On the collections, what constitutes a canonical/significant collection is debatable though I think it's clearer with Heinlein than with some. Either way, I dunno what's up with listing Expanded Universe as 1951, when it was 1980. (It contains the complete contents of The Worlds of Robert A. Heinlein plus much more.) The Robert Heinlein Omnibus seems to be a UK version of most of the main three FH collections. The Three/Triad is Waldo and Magic, Inc. combined with The Puppet Masters. A Heinlein Trio is the three 50s non-juvenile novels. The two 1959 collections are probably listed backwards, as well. Lost Legacy is a variant title of half of the UK split of Assignment in Eternity. Three by Heinlein is another omnibus, as is A Heinlein Trio. I dunno what's up with "Lifeline" and "Ordeal in Space" or their dates as they are not collections, but stories. The Fantasies of Robert Heinlein is an omnibus of 6xH and Waldo and Magic, Inc. Requiem is a posthumous "festschrift" but does include five stories, four of which were previously uncollected and two of which are even SF.

Final note on that list: The Notebooks of Lazarus Long, as I understand it, is just a bunch of excerpts from Time Enough for Love and, if you've got the latter, you don't need the former.

Ignoring magazine variant titles as not likely to concern most people, I'd list the fiction books something like:

Novels
Sixth Column (1941 as by Anson MacDonald; 1949; 1951 pb vt The Day After Tomorrow)
Methuselah's Children (1941; 1958)
Beyond This Horizon (1942 as by Anson MacDonald; 1948)
Rocket Ship Galileo (1947 Scribner's juvenile)
Space Cadet (1948 Scribner's juvenile)
Red Planet (1949 Scribner's juvenile)
Farmer in the Sky (1950 Scribner's juvenile)
The Puppet Masters (1951)
Between Planets (1951 Scribner's juvenile)
The Rolling Stones (1952 Scribner's juvenile)
Starman Jones (1953 Scribner's juvenile)
The Star Beast (1954 Scribner's juvenile)
Tunnel in the Sky (1955 Scribner's juvenile)
Double Star (1956)
Time for the Stars (1956 Scribner's juvenile)
The Door Into Summer (1957)
Citizen of the Galaxy (1957 Scribner's juvenile)
Have Spacesuit - Will Travel (1958 Scribner's juvenile)
Starship Troopers (1959 juvenile rejected by Scribner's & published by Putnam's)
Stranger in a Strange Land (1961)
Podkayne of Mars (1963 Putnam's juvenile)
Glory Road (1963)
Farnham's Freehold (1964)
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (1966)
I Will Fear No Evil (1970)
Time Enough for Love (1973)
The Number of the Beast (1980)
Friday (1982)
Job (1984)
The Cat Who Walks Through Walls (1985)
To Sail Beyond the Sunset (1987)

Collections
The Man Who Sold the Moon (1950 FH, most editions slightly cut)
Waldo and Magic Inc. (1950)
The Green Hills of Earth (1951 FH)
Assignment in Eternity (1953)
Revolt in 2100 (1953 FH)
The Menace from Earth (1959, title story is FH)
The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathon Hoag (1959) cut vt 6xH
Orphans of the Sky
(1963 FH)
Expanded Universe (1980, supersedes The Worlds of Heinlein (1966), both of which contain a FH short-short)

The Past Through Tomorrow (1967, omnibus/collection as discussed above)

SFBC/completist notes: While there are a lot of omnibuses and you won't often see these listed because they're SFBC books, the SFBC released an interesting set of all 14 juveniles (using the most inclusive definition) in four omnibuses: Infinite Possibilities (2002), To the Stars (2004), Four Frontiers (2005), and Outward Bound (2006). More importantly, they released all Heinlein's stories in three volumes by reprinting The Past Through Tomorrow and The Fantasies of Heinlein and adding the SFBC-exclusive Off the Main Sequence (2005). This is the only place to get "Destination Moon" and "Tenderfoot in Space" other than Requiem. However, because Off the Main Sequence restricts itself to SF, it skips four stories from Expanded Universe and two from Requiem, so you'd need to get both those anyway. It's also the only place to get "Beyond Doubt" (written with Elma Wentz as by Lyle Monroe) other than rare editions of The Man Who Sold the Moon and the only place to get "'My Object All Sublime'" and "Pied Piper" (both signed Lyle Monroe) other than the magazines themselves. (The zines were Astonishing and Future, btw.) It should be noted that "Lyle Monroe" was not generally used by Heinlein as a mark of quality and these particular three are described by him as "stinkeroos" so he might not have been thrilled that they were finally collected.

Last edited:
I'm having a senior moment. What were the names of Robert's 'Puddin' stories?
Ginny gave me a copy of the original manuscript for one of them, and it was interesting looking at his revision process as he wrote it.

I'm having a senior moment. What were the names of Robert's 'Puddin' stories?
Ginny gave me a copy of the original manuscript for one of them, and it was interesting looking at his revision process as he wrote it.
Poor Daddy was one (published in Calling all Girls in 1949). Young adult non-genre fiction.

Just his wife. Got to know her a few days after his death. Over the years, she became a dear friend. My wife and I gave her Snowy, her last cat, and she gave us quince jelly.

I've got Poor Daddy and Cliff and the Calories. Don't remember if I have Bulletin Board or not.