The Revived Tolkien Trivia

Araw and Béma.

Araw:The Sindarin name for Oröme:

The wild kine that were still to be found near the Sea of Rhûn were said in legend to be descended from the Kine of Araw, the huntsman of the Valar, who alone of the Valar came often to Middle-earth in the Elder Days.
Oröme is the High-elven form of his name

LotR: Appendix A: I: The Numenorean Kings: (ii) The Realms in Exile: (footnote)

Béma: The name for Oröme in Rohan and the North:

(of the mearas) Men said of them that Béma (whom the Eldar call Oröme) must have brought their sire from West over Sea.

LotR: Appendix A: II: The House of Eorl.

Agh! I tried so hard to let you quote from The Letters to find Béma... Well, a bell it is!

Yes, I was suprised to see Bema is missing from the Index of Names - had to go the mearas route to find him!

Where do "the great weeds" grow?

But already the oldest living things had arisen: in the seas the great weeds, and on earth the shadow of great trees; and in the valleys of the night-clad hills there were dark creatures old and strong.
The Silmarillion, Quenta Silmarillion, Chapter III Of The Coming Of The Elves And The Captivity Of Melkor

(passes back bell)
Good catch, Marky - I thought that was a hard one!
Your go ....

It was rather hard. I first looked a pipe-weed references, really. And I have to say that I really found it by luck this time.

Who says this about who?

Slay him not, but lead him hither to the King's judgement, if the King so wiils.

And that's not from the Unfinished Tales, Marky??

Someone says it about whatsisname Beregund or whatever in Return of the King. Just a stab in the dark and I thought it might be good to have someone else here instead of just you two.

Never. And last of all from you!

Never. And last of all from you!:p

Aradhel, the wife of Eöl, says it to the messenger of the Guard.

Then she (Aradhel) said to the messenger: 'He speaks but the truth. He is Eöl, and I am his wife,and he is the father of my son.
Slay him not, but lead him hither to the King's judgement, if the King so wills.'
Silmarillion: Quenta Silmarillion: Ch.16: Of Maeglin.

Who borrows a red silk hankerchief, and from whom?

Last edited:
Bilbo "borrows" one from Elrond, borrows with intention of returning but never does.

Oh and its from the Hobbit.

[Bilbo] mopped his face with a red silk handkerchief-no! not a single one of his own had survived, he had borrowed this one from Elrond-for now June had brought summer, and the weather was bright and hot again.
The Hobbit, Ch. 19 The Last Stage

Majimaune, it's really up to Pyan to give you the thread or no, though I'd like to point out to you the rules being given in the very first post. It's a quoting trivia after all. (Not trying to discourage you from joining, though. The contrary really!!)

And, technially Pyan, you weren't allowed yet to ask a new question :p

The Hobbit, Ch. 19 The Last Stage

Majimaune, it's really up to Pyan to give you the thread or no, though I'd like to point out to you the rules being given in the very first post. It's a quoting trivia after all. (Not trying to discourage you from joining, though. The contrary really!!)

And, technially Pyan, you weren't allowed yet to ask a new question :p
Well, yes - but as there is really no need for a confirmation, given the chances of there being two identical quotations, I thought .....:rolleyes:
And a PM would have corrected me a bit less publicly.

Do as you wish, Marky.

Well I would do all the stuff I need to but I was a bit pressed for time and so yeah...Oh well never mind

Pyan, you didn't sneak off on some kind of silly holiday without telling me, did you?

No, I'm trying to decide if I'm still in or not.