The Revived Tolkien Trivia

Marky Lazer

Pyan and I, we's just went bonkers one day, I believe it had to do with the full moon. Now, we're those lost souls who like to spend nights on end searching for obscure passages in the works of the late J.R.R. Tolkien. And we decided to make a quiz of it...

How it works
At one point, this point really, someone will ask a question about an event, character, thing or pretty much anything else in one of the works of professor Tolkien. The idea is that you, or any other player, will answer the question. Once you answered the question correctly, it gets affirmed by the player who asked that particular question, and you move on to ask a new question. Easy, yeah?

Now hold it, Bruno. It's not just that. Pyan and I are silly buggers. So we don't want just "answers." We wanna know where the zark you got them from. So a correct answer isn't going to let you have the floor; you need to back your answer up quoting the passage where you found your answer. Capiche?

(edit)

Or, you can elect not to need a quote for that question if you so desire.

Rightyo then! Here follows a list of which sources thou canst use:

The Hobbit
The Lord of the Rings
The Silmarillion
The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien

That's it for now. Maybe in the future more sources will be added, but no one knows when and why and how and who and how many and whence (for now).

By birthright, it's Pyan to throw first! Game on!

EDIT: And, as it's been formally requested (by Pyan): adding The Children of Hurin to the list of sources....

EDIT (II) Unfinished Tales also added to the permitted list.

YOU ARE ON YOUR HONOUR NOT TO USE GOOGLE!!

Last edited by a moderator:
By birthright, it's Pyan to throw first! Game on!

Oh yes, age before beauty! I know!:D

Right.......
Who did Gandalf entrust with the leadership of Gondor because of the incapacity of the rightful person at that time?

They met the Prince Imrahil, and he called to them : 'Whither now, Mithrandir? The Rohirrim are fighting on the fields of Gondor! We must gather all the strength that we can find.'
'You will need every man and more,' said Gandalf. 'Make all haste. I will come when I can. But I have an errand to the Lord Denethor that will not wait. Take command in the Lord's absence!'
The Return Of The King, Book V, Chapter VII, The Pyre Of Denethor.

Well, I would have said Rumil and Orophin - but why the inverted commas?

...and they speak the languages of other lands. I am one. Haldir is my name. My brothers, Rumil and Orophin speak little of your tongue.
FotR: Bk II: Ch VI: Lothlorien

The quotation marks were there because I don't know whether this is meant as kinsmen or siblings. However, you're right. Of course.

I see what you mean - could be read either way.

OK, then:
"A sound , too, began to throb in his ears, a sort of bubbling like the noise of a large pot galloping on the fire,....."
Whose ears? What could he hear?

A sound, too, began to throb in his ears, a sort of bubbling like the noise of a large pot galloping on the fire, mixed with a rumble as of a gigantic tom-cat purring. This grew to the unmistakable gurgling noise of some vast animal snoring in its sleep down there in the red glow in front of him.
It was at this point that Bilbo stopped.
[...]
Before him ... The glow of Smaug!
The Hobbit, Chapter 12: Inside Information.

So, yes, Bilbo's ears hear the sleeping Smaug.

The maker of the [SIZE=-1]Ulumúri was Salmar.

[/SIZE]
The Teleri learned much of Ulmo, and for this reason their music has both sadness and enchantment. Salmar came with him to Arda, he who made the horns of Ulmo that none may ever forget who once has heard them: ....
The Silmarillion: Quenta Silmarillion: Ch 1: Of the Beginning of Days.

No that is not correct. But I'm not really the baddest person alive, so I'll let you have the floor anyway. :p

Gee, thanks - for a moment, I thought you were serious!:p

Who in Middle-Earth knew where the Istari came from? Who were the only two others that this person told?

Even as the first shadows were felt in Mirkwood there appeared in the west of Middle-earth the Istari, whom Men called the Wizards. None knew at that time whence they were, save Círdan of the Havens, and only to Elrond and to Galadriel did he reveal that they came over the Sea
The Silmarillion: Of The Rings Of Power And The Third Age

The River Gelion, and its six main tributaries (north to south):
The Ascar (or Rathloriel)
The Thalos,
The Legolin,
The Brilthor,
The Duilwen,
and the Adurant.

The Silmarillion:
Appendix: Map of Beleriand.