The Revived Tolkien Trivia

Something in my head keeps shouting Beleg at me, and has done since I first read the question.
But although both Cusalion (Cuthalion) and thwongbow (strongbow) have good lisp factors, I can't see the very sweet bit.

How does it feel to be so very wrong?

Helping other people, not you. You're beyond help.

Something in my head keeps shouting Beleg at me, and has done since I first read the question.
But although both Cusalion (Cuthalion) and thwongbow (strongbow) have good lisp factors, I can't see the very sweet bit.

Boaz was on the right track looking for rose, rather than anything with sweetness.

So Peat says it's a nickname, but HB does not believe it? Hmmmm. I've gone through the nicknames of the two characters with the most nicknames... Aragorn and Turin. Turin was Turambar, Gorthol, Neithan, Agarwaen son of Umarth, Adanedhel, and Mormegil. I don't know how any of these relate to sweets or fragrances.

I posted on the Lord of the Limericks:

Aragorn a.k.a. Envinyatar,
The Elfstone, Elessar Telcontar,
Wingfoot, Longshanks, Estel,
Isildur's heir as well,
Thorongil, Dunadan, and... Strider.

I think the answer is some flower of which I've never heard.

Edit: Peat posted just before me. Thinking of flowers...

What about Ghan-Beri-Ghan.
The wildmen of the woods were also known as Woses if I remember correctly.

Bingo!

Actually, this wasn't quite the use of wose in a nickname I initially thought of, but a wose is what I was looking for, so this is a correct answer and the question is now yours.

(The one I initially thought of was Turin, who was nicknamed woodwose by Saeros - Boaz was so very nearly there).

Did not remember woodwose. I do remember Lili von Schtupp being unimpressed with Hedley Lamar's gift, "A wed wose. How ordinawy."

That's Hedy!

Sorry TJ. If I'd only checked my idea, before I posted, you would have had it. And it's true. It isn't really a lisp. :D

Hmm! Now for a question.

Sorry TJ. If I'd only checked my idea, before I posted, you would have had it. And it's true. It isn't really a lisp. :D
No, I didn't have a name for one of the woses, only the name for them as a whole, so you'd have been the proper winner even if I'd posted first. (And yep, the pronunciation of 'w' for an 'r' is rhotacism, so we were being deliberately led astray by TBP -- undoubtedly to confound the rabbit!)

It's been a while since I've intruded in TRTT, but do we not have to provide chapter and verse now? (Good-oh, if not!) And whatever happened to the handing over of a bell -- has that tradition been dispensed with, too?

You're right TJ.
Well it's in the chapter The Ride of the Rohirrim, near the beginning, where Elfhelm says to Merry, or Master Bag, as he calls him,"You hear the Woses, the Wild Men of the Woods: thus they talk together from afar.

This thread had gone quiet for a long time and the old ways have been forgotten. I'd forgotten about the bells. They were fun.

Today is the first I'd learned there was a difference between rhotacism and a lisp - I thought they were all lisps! So mea culpa

Well you must give me a rhotacising bell then, and we'll restart that tradition. :D
I didn't know the word either. I would just have said doing a Johnathon Ross.

Edit. A bell that's winging.

Last edited:
t's been a while since I've intruded in TRTT, but do we not have to provide chapter and verse now?
The question-setter can specify they want a quote. I haven't done so the last couple of times because Boaz and farntfar said they haven't got their books with them, which would have left just Pyan!

The question-setter can specify they want a quote. I haven't done so the last couple of times because Boaz and farntfar said they haven't got their books with them, which would have left just Pyan!
Who has them all a swivel and a lean away... :giggle:

TokienBooks.jpg

Last edited:
I'm back home now. So I have my books available; though not as impressive a shelf as that.

So a fairly straightforward question.

As far as I know, Gandalf only ever "despatched" one evil creature. (Later episodes of The Rings of Power, and other books I haven't read (*), which are possibly on Py's shelf, may prove me wrong.)

If, as a boy, Faramir had been carelessly browsing through old texts in the the Minas Tirith Library, why might he have thought, possibly mistakenly, that Grandpa had beaten Gandalf in that regard.

(Please ignore awkward questions of time, like when he was a boy and when the 2 Gs above did their stuff)

Evidence would be appreciated.

(*) or your better memory than mine)

Gandalf despatched the Balrog of Moria ("I threw down my enemy", LOTR Book III ch5)

Faramir's grandfather was the steward Ecthelion II.

But Ecthelion was also the name of a lord of Gondolin, who slew the lord of the Balrogs, Gothmog. ("... much is told in The Fall of Gondolin: of the battle of Ecthelion of the Fountain with Gothmog Lord of Balrogs in the very square of the King, where each slew the other." -- The Silmarillion ch23)

So a young Faramir might have mistaken mention of the First Age Ecthelion for his gramps, and reasoned that in slaying the Moria Balrog's boss, his gramps had done better than Gandalf.

I told you it was straightforward.
Well done HB.

Incidentally, this has always puzzled me, and maybe one of you knows.
Once deaded, elves go to the halls of Mandos; men get the gift of Iluvartar, which is undefined and therefore either heaven or just an end, as you like.
What happens to Balrogs/Maia and even Valar?
What happened to Melkor in the end?

Anyway, a bell on a fountain, in memory of Ecthelion of the fountain to you Harebrain, and the next question.

What happened to Melkor in the end?
I think he was exiled to a kind of nowhere zone. As for destroyed Maiar, I have no idea. There seem to be quite a few Reddit threads dedicated to the discussion.

My question, possibly easy, possibly not: whose brother was two letters from a 4X4? (No quote needed.)

I think he was exiled to a kind of nowhere zone.
If this was a Superman movie Tulkas would throw a nuclear bomb (or something equivalent) into space at the end of the last film, which would unlock the nowhere zone and Melkor would return with only the wish to get revenge on the descendants of Earendil on his mind.
It's probably lucky JRRT isn't writing any sequels.;)

Landroval, was the brother of Gwaihir the windlord. (I always thought it was winglord until I just looked it up.)
The first page of The Field of Cormallen

Well done! The bell on a 1950s Land Rover converted to an ambulance for you, and yours the next question.