The Revived Tolkien Trivia

Finishing the clue rhyme first....

...and a bunch of seeming apathists.

Borrowing your adjective, rust might be likened to the passage here in its tendencies to be found in older places, Sir Hare.

Bump... I think another clue may be needed here, Grim One.

I agree. Would have provided sooner but my formerly very reliable Windows 10 took a huge powder and I had to reset (which in Windows 10-ese basically means reinstalling with the thankful plus of keeping your files). We love our back-ups, yes we do...

But I digress. In addition to smiles, an oath, conspiration and apathists, a curse was also involve in the scene.

OK, I've reached the dreaded state of a third consecutive post whilst holding the challenge. Although it's not a rule here, any child raised on baseball goes thru life with "three strikes you're out" in the back of their minds in situations like this, so I'm going to reverse positions and lob one right over the plate (the baseball equivalent of Bilbo's "dreadfully easy chestnut", ideally without Gollum's subsequent accompanying struggles)....

He walks beneath the trees now.

There. I've just burned a potential challenge, too. Hope you're all happy.

*Mock sulks, but glances nervously up to see if anyone is looking;)*

Grim, I didn't really understand your last post, about walking beneath the trees -- is that a replacement challenge or something to do with the existing one?

Anyway, my brain has at last put together "ring" and "doom" to make "Ring of Doom", and that led me to suppose the answer to the original challenge is Feanor, and it refers to the section in "Of the Flight of the Noldor" in The Silmarillion when the Mandos pronounced the Doom on the Noldor? (But I'm not sure which is the exact bit you're after.)

You're on the right track with Feanor, Sir Hare, but no that's not a replacement challenge. In addition to all of the other hints, the subject who needed no ring to be reminded of their approaching doom now walks beneath the trees...with his father.

I think I've killed the thread.:eek:

He was perceived as a Noldo of great might and wisdom by someone who would know about rings...

Oh, forsooth! ;)

There are 2 separate oaths, both originated by Noldo (albeit different ones), at work in the paragraph where this nugget also lies.

Stuck here, Grimmy...
giphy.gif

Can one of the clues be a page number?

As I said, my memory of the Silmarillion (in which I'm sure this lies) is sketchy; I need to reread it.

He was perceived as a Noldo of great might and wisdom by someone who would know about rings...

The perceiver is presumably Sauron or Celebrimbor, but I'm not finding that any help.

You're correct about the perceiver, Sir Hare, and it's NOT Celebrimbor. None of the clues were intended to be a page number, but prior to the section in question our seemingly elusive Noldo subject made his home in an unusual place for elves...

And since when did Ursa loan you his tumbleweed technology, Py? ;)

Apologies, my fellow trivia sleuths; I've apparently done a terrible job with this one. Still, one soldiers on, so...

He died in a place he built.

13 clues/hints...you all should probably gag and bind me and only allow me to watch from now on.;)

OK, you find he who needed no ring to remind him of his doom in 2 steps, both of which follow in quick succession. The ring is a symbol of one of the aforementioned oaths, the oath subsequently binds him to said doom.

Time to put me out of my misery. Fairest and most beloved of the house of Finwe, was he.

YES! Gods yes. I'll even give it to you without the quote, Hare. (y)

15 hints is far and away the longest I've ever had to sit on the hot seat here. A non-prominently-placed, freshly-returned-from-a-paternal-walk-beneath-the-trees-a-death-place-and-an-unusual-abode, two-stage, associated with-great-might-and-wisdom, fashion-accessory-to-the-winner-of-the-fairest-and-most-beloved-Noldo-award, bound-up-with-smiles-oaths-conspiration-apathists-and-a-curse bell to you, as well as the honor of the next challenge.

*Wipes sweat from brow, then takes a seat in the panel box*

Thanks Grim, though it feels like I've won a victory with the whole land laid waste and only a handful of people left alive.

Which bit you were actually thinking of, in terms of a quote?