The Revived Tolkien Trivia

I thought I'd seen the reference somewhere - the answer is Amon Lhaw, and it's practically the last sentence in FotR...

At length (Frodo and Sam) came to land again upon the southern slopes of Amon Lhaw. There they found a shelving shore, and they drew the boat out, high above the water, and hid it as well as they could behind a great boulder.
FotR, Bk2, Ch10, The Breaking of the Fellowship

Beat me to it, Py.
I was pretty sure it was there, or possibly on the west bank opposite where Sam nearly drowns, but I hadn't had time to check.
Well done, mate.

I should have got it right - as HB points out, I got it right 13 years ago, when the question was set by Marky Lazer (who co-started the thread with me in 2007, but hasn't been seen since 2013). Still...

Seven Stars, and Seven Stones, and One White Tree...

Except there were at least eight stones not seven. One of the Seven was different. How? And where was the eighth? Quote, please.

I think we've had this one before as well, Py; and somewhat more recently than 2007.

At any road, it is the master stone in Eressëa.

Thither Elendil would repair, and thence he would gaze out over the sundering seas, while the yearning of exile was upon him; and it is believed that thus he would at whiles see far away even the tower of Avallonnë upon Eressëa, where the master stone abode, and yet abides.
Silmarillion. of the rings of power and the third age.

That's it, we've run out of new questions.

I think we should expand the allowable sources to include:

Mr Bliss
Reviews on IMDB for the LOTR films
The Last Ringbearer by Kirill Eskov

I agree HB. Or at least JRRT's other books.
I haven't read all the later works compiled by Christopher, but at least we could add the Niggle/ Farmer Giles type stories, even the Beowolf stuff, if it was actually JRRT wrote it.

But I suppose whatever we added there would be someone feeling it excluded them, because they haven't read it. (like me with the letters currently, not that I actually mind that at all.)

Is not being the master stone a sufficient difference? and remaining in Valinor of course. And still abiding.

Is there more you need?

As for Letters from Father Christmas, it meets my criteria, so I would have to include it. Just don't expect me to answer any of the questions. :D

Is not being the master stone a sufficient difference? and remaining in Valinor of course. And still abiding.

Is there more you need?

As for Letters from Father Christmas, it meets my criteria, so I would have to include it. Just don't expect me to answer any of the questions. :D
Umm. It wasn’t the difference in the master stone I asked for - it was a difference in one of the Seven...

Oh yes. Sorry.
All those in Gondor were ever open to the view of Osgiliath?

After the death of Denethor ... in the stone of Minas Tirith unless the user ... had a great strength of will to turn it to other purpose, he saw only two aged hands withering in flame.?

Nope. There's one thing that one of the seven stones in Middle-earth can't do, that all the rest could. There's a specific quote somewhere that makes this clear - "set out fair and square with no contradictions", as the saying goes...

Don't you hate it when someone posts, "I know this one, but I don't have the books on me to quote it"?

Well, I know this one, I just don't have the books on me to quote it.... The reference has to be in one of three places; early in The Fellowship (Frodo talking either with Gandalf or Gildor), at the Council of Elrond, or in the final chapter of The Return. Or perhaps it is when Frodo talks to Galadriel or in an exchange between Denethor and Gandalf, but I doubt Denethor would be that forthcoming. Maybe one of you guys can find it.

Last edited:
*Grins*
Shouldn't one wait until the person setting the challenge confirms the correct answer? Whatever would Treebeard think of you all? ;)

The answer was indeed at the very end of The Fellowship, on the slopes of Amon Lhaw, and my next hint was going to be that Pyan was in the vicinity (although not specifically for a shelving shore) 13 years ago. Nice job (however belatedly), your greenness. Have a Shelving Bell and the privilege of posting the...err...well...*mutters something about already being there*

And regarding the other half of the current challenge, the following is only an assist to Far's earlier reply, if correct, it's his bell.

The only stone left in the North was the one in the Tower on Emyn Beraid that looks towards the Gulf of Lune. That was guarded by the Elves, and though we never knew it, it remained there, until Cirdan put it aboard Elrond's ship when he left (pp.44, 106). But we are told that i[t] (one of the rare typos in my edition is the word "is" instead of "it" there) was unlike the others and not in accord with them; it looked only to the Sea. Elendil set it there so that he could look back with 'straight sight' and see Eressea in the vanished West; but the bent seas below covered Numenor for ever.

Appendix A (Footnote 2 for the page), The Return of the King, The Lord of the Rings

Last edited:
Apologies, Grimmy - I was sure that it was HB posted that one...

Right, the Appendix quote was what I was after, so Grimward gets a bell for that: farntfar gets another one for identifying the Elostirion stone: and the Grim one cedes the right to continue to farntfar. Mae pennen, it's farnfar to go...

There's one thing that one of the seven stones in Middle-earth can't do, that all the rest could.

On reading this the answer popped right into my head, so I was a bit dismayed to find it had also popped into Grim's. Oh well.

Right, the Appendix quote was what I was after, so Grimward gets a bell for that: farntfar gets another one for identifying the Elostirion stone: and the Grim one cedes the right to continue to farntfar. Mae pennen, it's farnfar to go...

Thank you Py, and well done Grim for the second half.
I can only say that when you bug a telephone call, it can sometimes be difficult to know who is on which end of the line.

ok! so a long question.

In Rivendell we hear of an action by one character that provokes an unusually harsh response from the object of that action.

We later read of a similar action performed by a different character on him or herself, which provokes a level of mental distress in two more characters who happened to be nearby.

Earlier than both of these we hear of much the same action when performed by a large group (and combined with several other actions) which provoke largescale distress in multiple other characters. This is explained so as to account for retaliatory measures performed by one of the second group against two of our heroes.

A final example of the action is performed on another of our heroes near the end of the quest, and despite being entirely malicious is actually of enormous service.
(I say final, but these are clearly not the only occurences of this action in the course of the books.)

What was the common action in all these events. Quotations would be very welcome, but I understand that copying vast swathes of text is thirsty work.