The Revived Tolkien Trivia

...and butter melts.:)

It's Barliman Butterbur, the landlord of the Prancing Pony in Bree.
Gandalf is trying to catch up with the Hobbits on the road to Rivendell, and thinks they may have been delayed at Bree, and it may be Butterbur's fault for not handing over the note he left.
At the Council of Elrond, he says:

' "Butterbur they call him," thought I. "If this delay was his fault, I will melt all the butter in him. I will roast the old fool over a slow fire." '

FotR, Book II, ch. 2: The Council of Elrond

@pyan You do not receive a bell.... instead I will put an enchantment upon your posts for seven years! And decades later people will type, "That post was uncommon good. That was a proper pyan post, that was."

Just in case I was not clear. @pyan You absolutely have the correct answer.
Um - not sure what to say to that. "Have I really?" would be false modesty, but "Yes I know" sounds big-headed...:LOL:

This may fox you for a while ...:cool: (or not!)

There's a connection between the Masters of Horses and the last few hours of the life of Marilyn Monroe, linked by a dark-haired people.
What's that connection? A brief explanation and one quote required.
Google can be used in extremis, but I've phrased it so that just googling the parts of the question won't work...:)

Well, this took some doing, but I have something.

In the parody Bored of the Rings, the Rohirrim (Masters of Horses) are renamed the Riders of Roi Tan.

Roi-tan cigars made an advertising film set on a baseball field.

Joe DiMaggio was a baseball player and friend of Marilyn Monroe.

Marilyn Monroe was found dead with an empty bottle of Nembutal.

In Bored of the Rings, Nembutal features in a rhyme sung in the "house of Orlon".

Orlon is the BOTR name for Elrond.

Elrond has dark hair.

I'm not sure what quote would be acceptable.

I'm really sorry, mate, especially with such a well-thought out answer, but it's a lot simpler.

The link between the dark-haired people and the Masters of Horses is the nick-name the first gave to the second. Google the answer to that, and it all becomes clear...

A clue to the first might be Wonga...

such a well-thought out answer

You're too kind.

Right-oh, got it now. The Masters of Horses are the Rohirrim. The dark-haired people are the Dunlendings (Wonga indeed :ROFLMAO:), who call the Rohirrim Strawheads:

'Yet there are many that cry in that Dunland tongue,' said Gamling. '[...] "Death to the Forgoil! Death to the Strawheads! Death to the robbers of the North!" Such names they have for us.' [LOTR, Helm's Deep]

And it turns out that Strawhead is the name of a play about the last days of Marilyn Monroe. From Wikipedia:

Strawhead is a play by American writers Norman Mailer and Richard Hannum about Marilyn Monroe. The play is an adaptation of Mailer's 1980 book Of Women and Their Elegance, an imagined memoir told in Monroe's voice.[1]

Strawhead takes place in New York City during the last few days of Monroe's life in August 1962.

This may fox you for a while ...:cool:

Grrr, I was convinced for ages that it had something to do with Fox studios, who employed Monroe until she was sacked.

By Jove, he's got it! Correct in every particular. A crotal for your mearas is in the post.
I await your question with interest.:cautious:

I liked the firs answer better. But well done... I don't know much about Miss Monroe.

"My nuncle Tim."

Or at least Tom Bombadil's uncle Tim according to the song by Sam Gamgee in Troll country, soon after Weathertop.

"As should be a-lying in a graveyard. Caveyard. Paveyard."

To be quite honest, it only says Tom (with his big boots on) but I think we're supposed to assume it's Bombabil.

Well done Farn. A pair of big boots with bells on for you.

To be quite honest, it only says Tom (with his big boots on) but I think we're supposed to assume it's Bombabil.

The illustration by Pauline Baynes for that rhyme in "Poems and Stories" certainly seems to show him.

In the Forbidden Pool at Henneth Annun.

"The price is not set on the fish," said Faramir. [LOTR, The Forbidden Pool.]

Yes indeed.

I thought it was too easy. :)

A scaly bell for you, HB, and the next question.

Apologies for the delay with this.

Right, this is probably horrendously unchallenging, but ... which quote, out of context, could be taken to show the Dark Lord's desire for a particular dessert?

....hastily scans memory for you know who scoffing chocolate ice cream while teasing Pippin via the palantir....