The Revived Tolkien Trivia

Thank you, Py.

You caught me just in time, with my indelible marker in hand.

@HareBrain No soup for you!

Okay...

The first person declined to be comforted by the second person for lamenting beauty and the second person declined to be comforted by the first person for fearing death.

I don't want to give away the answer... but @The Big Peat and @farntfar are on the right track...

@pyan By the way, My friend served Elderberry Wine at our book club tonight... and everyone loved it. On the other hand, I was forced to drink Arak, the Arab anise liquor, because I was out of Ouzo (the Greek anise liquor), because I was out of Sambucca, (the Italian anise liquor) which is named for Elderberry.

Edit: Why don't the Chinese have an anise liquor? It would make sense.

But then TBP is right about Gimli speaking about the beauty of Galadriel to Legolas.

Yes, the scene after the gift-giving in Lorien fits the clue about lamenting and then refusing to be comforted. But I can't think of where Legolas expresses a fear of death. Indeed, as an elf, you would think he would be one of the last people to do so. The thought occurred to me that he might fear someone else's death (Merry's and Pippin's, for example) but I can't find that either.

Okay... so you guys all know it was Gimli who lamented that he'd never see anyone, anthing, or any place as beautiful after seeing Galadriel and he refused to be comforted by Legolas. As for the second part; Hint: it happened when they met an old friend.

The best thing I can think of off the top of my head is Legolas not popping a shaft in the raggedy old stranger in Rohan that turns out to be Gandalf, despite Gimli's urging - not really fear of death, maybe fear of causing death

Hint... maybe young and beautiful heroes don't fear imminent death, maybe it's a prophecy that strikes terror...

I had a look at the end of the chapter but I must be going senile as I can't find the exact line. Does anyone else want to jump in on this and bring it home? I shan't mind, I assure you.

Well, I've completely failed... I know I should not do two part trivia, but they seemed so related. I apologize if I've frustrated you. The part you guys easily remembered, concerning Gimli's lament that he'll never see anyone or anything as beautiful as Galadriel, is what I considered the more difficult of the two.

From The Two Towers, Book Three, Chapter Five, The White Rider,

"To Legolas she sent this word:
Legolas Greenleaf long under tree
In joy thast lived. Beware of the Sea!
If thou hearest the cry of the gull on the shore,
Thy heart shall then rest in the forest no more.
"
Gandalf fell silent and shut his eyes.
"Then she sent me no message?" said Gimli....
"Dark are her words," said Legolas, "and little do they mean to those that receive them."
"That is no comfort," said Gimli.
"What then?" said Legolas. "Would you have her speak openly of your death?"
"Yes, if she had nought else to say."

I was fourteen when I first read that passage. Gandalf had vanished... and returned. Boromir was slain. And I read how Legolas's death was prophesied by Galadriel... I really thought he was going to die. His acceptance of his fate and his faithfulness to the mission always stuck in mind.

So... @The Big Peat @farntfar and @HareBrain all were on the right track and I award you all with a half-Galadribell. One of you three ought to have some trivia ready...

This is more my fault than yours as I read that chapter and somehow failed to recognise those words despite looking for something of that ilk. Impressive reading comprehension work there I know.

I confess myself a bit confused, Boaz.

The first person declined to be comforted by the second person for lamenting beauty and the second person declined to be comforted by the first person for fearing death.

The first person is Gimli and the second Legolas, right? But I'm not sure how Legolas is declining to be comforted by Gimli in that passage -- I can't see Gimli making any attempt to comfort Legolas. Nor am I sure that Legolas is fearing death. Not that it matters now, but am I missing something?

Well if she had nought else to say.... I figured his bedside manner was unprofessional....

Ah, I didn't interpret Galadriel's message to Legolas as being about death, and when he says this:

"What then?" said Legolas. "Would you have her speak openly of your death?"

He's not implying (in my interpretation) "in the same we she has spoken about mine", he's just saying "what, you're so desperate for a message from her, you'd want one even if it was that?"

Anyway, I vote Peat to ask the next question, as he first got Gimli and Legolas.

I apologise for the delay; I'd now like to play a game called "Match the Hobbit to the Quote"

Quote 1: "It's not good "getting under cover". That is just what people have been doing, and just what these ruffians like. They will simply come down on us in force, corner us, and then drive us out, or burn us in. No, we have got to do something at once."

Quote 2: "We shall break a good many things yet, and not ask you to answer."

Quote 3: "I was just going to you that. This isn't your country, and you're not wanted."

Quote 4: "If I hear not allowed much oftener, I'm going to get angry."

Quote 5: "But it is evidently high time that the family dealt with him and put him in his place."

They all come fairly close together; four of them will be obvious and the fifth may be a slight curve ball; now lets see who can recognise which hobbit said which one.

I believe they are all from The Scouring of the Shire.

#1: Merry countered Pippin's idea to hole up.

#2: Pippin said this to the shirrifs, if I recall correctly.

#3: Tom Cotton confronted the gang in front of the bonfire.

#4: Sam conferred with Robin Smallburrow.

#5: Frodo said this regarding Lotho.

Well done Peat. All memorable, in my opinion.

Well, let's think of things that melt.... Ice... Snow... Cheese... Chocolate... Butter...

Imrahil of Ice Amroth? No.

Elrond Snowelven? No.

Fatty Cheesebuck? No.

Grima Chocolatetongue? No.