The Revived Tolkien Trivia

I have no idea how easy/difficult this question is. If there has been no significant response within five days or so, I'll try to give some kind of hint.

They're the standing stones that run across the Firienfield, either side of the path that led from Harrowdale to the Dwimorberg, and ultimately to the Dimholt and the Dark Door.

'Dividing the upland into two there marched a double line of unshaped standing stones that dwindled into the dusk and vanished in the trees. Those who dared to follow that road came soon to the black Dimholt under Dwimorberg, and the menace of the pillar of stone, and the yawning shadow of the forbidden door.'

'Merry stared at the lines of marching stones: they were worn and black; some were leaning, some were fallen, some cracked or broken; they looked like rows of old and hungry teeth. He wondered what they could be, and he hoped that the king was not going to follow them into the darkness beyond.'

LOTR: ROTK, book 5, chapter 3 - The Muster of Rohan

Many congratulations!

The ancient Dunharrow Bell is yours!

Thank you *Diiiiiiing*

Where am I?
JRRT said:
...most of the valley had become a wilderness of weeds and thorns. Brambles trailed upon the ground, or clambering over bush and bank, made shaggy caves where small beasts housed.

Well this led me a merry dance, but here we are:

Chapter: The Road to Isengard
"It was not so now. Beneath the walls of Isengard there still were acres tilled by the slaves of Saruman; but most of the valley had become a wilderness of weeds and thorns. Brambles trailed upon the ground, or clambering over bush and bank, made shaggy caves where small beasts housed. "

I was convinced first of all that this passage described the terrain that Frodo and Sam walked through after leaving Faramir and before reaching the Stairs of Cirith Ungol, and there are definite similarities.
Then I had to backtrack significantly, and checked out various other passages such as the landscape just before Moria, and even the outskirts of Fangorn. After a while the coziness of "where small beasts housed" started to puzzle me and I thought it must be early on in the LOTR and took a look at the land around Weathertop, and even glanced briefly at The Hobbit and Farmer Giles. Finally, by a process of elimination....

Spot-on, Hugh. A bell from Nan Curunir goes to you, and it's your turn.

Excellent! A Nan Curunir Bell!

So.... please explain for me the difference between an Appledore and a Mugwort, and where I might find them.

I thought I knew this one, but I looked all through the chapter I suspected and can't find anything.

I thought I knew this one, but I looked all through the chapter I suspected and can't find anything.
I know the feeling!

Appledores can sometimes be found with Rushlights.

Mugworts are relatively numerous.

Ha! Good one, Hugh! And certainly not where I was looking. (The prologue, appendices and the Party, to start with.)

The difference is generally probably about 3 feet, since the Appledores are men and the Mugworts are hobbits, though both are inhabitants of Bree.

The men of Bree seemed all to have rather botanical (and to the shirefolk rather odd) names, like Rushlight, Goatleaf, Heathertoes, Appledore, Thistlewool and Fernu (not to mention Butterbur). Some of the hobbits had similar names. The Mugworts, for instance, seemed numerous. But .......

Well done!!

A hand-crafted Goatleaf bell is all yours!

Thank you sir.

Who was greeted with joy and by whom after an initial flight in fear (probably); all made possible by a bent thought.

Book Five, Chapter Two: The Passing of the Grey Company

"And you have found him also!" cried Aragorn. Giving his reins to Merry, he ran forward and embraced the newcomer. "Halbarad!" he said. "Of all the joys this is the least expected!"
Merry breathed a sigh of relief. He had thought that this was some last trick of Saruman's, to waylay the king while he had only a few men about him; but it seeme that there would be no need to die in Theoden's defence, not yet at any rate.
...."But I did not summon you," said Aragorn, "save only in wish. My thoughts have often turned to you..."

Last edited:
Oh dear. It does fit the clue rather well. But it wasn't what I was after.
In my defence My thought was definitely bent, whereas yours is turned.

You can take it if you like, along with a fraternal twin bell, or you can try again.