The Revived Tolkien Trivia

Spot-on, far - your turn, after accepting this bell, carefully engraved with a frieze of capering stoats, weasels, martens and polecats...

Thank you Py. I'll keep it with the ferret.

So if you were in Hobbiton today, why might you think flexible was a very remote concept?

That question was very specific.
You might well not feel so far from that flexibility today.

Each day that you don't find the answer, actually takes you closer to that flexibility.
But it won't always.

Hmm - I'd have thought that seven weeks without any response whatsoever may indicate something, far...;):)

the winter solstice or YULE is about as far away from it as you can get. And hobbit-speak. And it's flexible.
And there are 3 of them and one of them is even more so than the other 2.

Sorry.
I'll try to find another one.

Last edited:
OK, Hope. A bit global but yes.
Now can you tell me which one and who alleged it, with a quote if possible.

It's Denethor, talking about Gandalf's counsel to Gandalf and Faramir in his private chambers, just before the start of the Siege of Minas Tirith.

"You are wise, maybe, Mithrandir, yet with all your subtleties you have not all wisdom. Counsels may be found that are neither the webs of wizards nor the haste of fools."

LOTR, The Return of the King, Book 5, Chapter IV, The Siege of Gondor - page 86 in the George Allen & Unwin hb.

Indeed it is, Py.
Take this Samwise bell in recognition.

And the other one was all about the 3 days of mid-summer, which was why we were about as far away from it as we could get when I asked the question in early January.
In the hobbit calendar there are 3 days of holiday, Lithe, Over-Lithe(mid-summer) and Lithe again. So I was playing on the word lithe as meaning flexible.
Sorry. It all seemed quite reasonable at the time.

Try this one...

Of all the Company setting out on the long road to Gondor and Mordor, who seemed to to have the least worries about the prospect? Quote, please.

Bill the pony?

"So Bill was going to be the beast of burden, yet he was the only member of the Company that did not seem depressed." Chapter 3, The Ring Goes South, Book II of The Fellowship of the Ring.

That's the fellow. Not fooled by the careful wording of the question, then...:p

A set of small mithril bells, suitable for a pony's headstall, to you, and it's your go...

Good one T.J.
I was going for Pippin. But apart from the "Then Master Elrond you will have to lock me in prison or send me home tied in a sack." type stuff, I couldn't find anything to suggest he was worry free. And I knew it didn't really fit the question.

Woo! It's been a while since I've been able to answer one of these!

I shall now go into purdah, while I try and find a tricky question that hasn't already been asked. Look for me in about a week...