The Revived Tolkien Trivia

You're in Northern Mirkwood, somewhere between Anduin and the Elven-king's halls.
Strictly speaking, of course, you're inside Bilbo's head!

When he heard that there was nothing to eat, he sat down and wept, for he felt very weak and wobbly in the legs. "Why ever did I wake up!" he cried. "I was having such beautiful dreams. I dreamed I was walking in a forest rather like this one, only lit with torches on the trees and lamps swinging from the branches and fires burning on the ground; and there was a great feast going on, going on for ever. A woodland king was there with a crown of leaves, and there was a merry singing, and I could not count or describe the things there were to eat and drink."
"You need not try," said Thorin. "In fact if you can't talk about something else, you had better be silent. We are quite annoyed enough with you as it is. If you hadn't waked up, we should have left you to your
idiotic dreams in the forest; you are no joke to carry even after weeks of short commons."
Hobbit: Ch.8; Flies and Spiders

Last edited:
Well, strictly speaking, we're not in Bilbo's head but in Bombur's... but I'll let you off with it :D

Duh - slip of the fingers:eek:

Can you give me the names of two lords of the people of the wide lands south of Mordor?

I think this is what you mean:

But because of the power of Gil-galad these renegades, lords both mighty and evil, for the most part took up their abodes in the southlands far away; yet two there were, Herumor and Fuinur, who rose to power among the Haradrim[.]
The Silmarillion, Of The Rings Of Power And The Third Age.

Those are the chaps, Marky!

You to go .......:D

Ents the earthborn, old as mountains,the wide-walkers, water drinkers;and hungry as hunters, the Hobbit children,the laughing folk, the little people. (LotR 609)Q: Who? his own hands to use, not the hands of others to command?

Welcome to the thread, Areader!

Master Samwise Gamgee, Ringbearer.

In that hour of trial it was the love of his master that helped most to hold him firm; but also deep down in him lived still unconquered his plain hobbit-sense: he knew in the core of his heart that he was not large enough to bear such a burden, even if such visions were not a mere cheat to betray him. The one small garden of a free gardener was all his need and due, not a garden swollen to a realm; his own hands to use, not the hands of others to command.
RotK: Book VI: Ch 1; The Tower of Cirith Ungol

Ok, then -

Can you give me a quote, either confirming or not, regarding the existence of dragons in the Third Age?

It has been said that dragon-fire could melt and consume the Rings of Power, but there is not now any dragon left on earth in which the old fire is hot enough.
FOTR Chpt 2

That's the best I could find. I'm not sure if that means there's absolutely no dragons left...just none with enough firepower to melt the ring...

Welcome to the thread, KAH!

Yes that's the one I was thinking of - plus there's one in Letters, No 144, to Naomi Mitchison.

Your turn........:)

yay! Um...let's see....
Here's a pretty easy one: who is son of Beregond of the Guards.

PS please don't call me KAH...if you must abreviate try knitter or knit.
Kah sounds like the name of a guy i really hated in high school

Sorry, Knitter! Know the feeling, hated all Geoffreys for years ......:D

Bergil

The boy drew himself up proudly. 'I am Bergil son of Beregond of the Guards,' he said.
'So I thought,' said Pippin, 'for you look like your father. I know him, and he sent me to find you.'

RotK: Book V: Chapter 1: Minas Tirith

what a vague quote!

The people of Esgaroth.
Comming out to mourn for their losses and move on...such adaptable people