The Revived Tolkien Trivia

The only chess reference I remember was...

2am!

I'll check it tomorrow... Er... Later today...

I trust you are now sleeping well, Hope, and I look forward to your reply, in the (your) morning.
:)

Found it!
I started further back than I needed to. When Pippin and Gandalf take off for Minas Tirith together (took a side browse through Frodo and Faramir's conversation.) because the only chess reference I remembered was Gandalf saying "the bord is set and pieces are moving, and pawns may (something something) before the end."

What I couldn't figure out was why/how Gandalf had let himself be on the wrong bord.

Which he isn't. :) because it's Pippin who says
The Return of the King - Minas Tirith said:
A pawn did Gandalf say? Perhaps; but on the wrong chessboard
in reference to his talk with Beregond as they sat upon the battlements just after Pip swears fielty to Gondor.

Last edited:
That's the one, Hope.

The return of the king's knight's pawn's bell to you; and the setting of the next question.

*sets bell on shelf next to castle incence burner*

Thank you sir!
I have one in mind but I'll have to re-find it and double check spelling. Post to come later today.

*steps back through faulty time portal muttering about long afternoons that takes nearly weeks to traverse*

Right then.

Olórin was not forgotten by the forgotten peoples. Tharkûn delved through the delvers doom. Incánus's tan faded to white by the time the lister of these (though unbeknownst to him) speaks to one knowing the northern friend of the three.

Who gives these names, and to whom is he speaking.

A masterly piece of misdirection there, Hope, with clues pointing wrongly to Treebeard or possibly Eomer.

But in fact it's back to your sexy friend Faramir, to Frodo in "The Window on the West".

Many are my names in many contries, he said. Mithrandir among the Elves, Thakûn to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.

Incidentally, my copy really spells countries CONTRIES, which surprises me. Do otherpeoples editions have the same?

(Had to delve under the bed for my copy, and yes, it has the u in countries, in the quote in question.)

Thank you, Hope.

You may have heard the old cliché, "I only drink to forget!"

Tolkien tells of one such case, with the difference that the drink will be blood.
So:
Who's blood is to be drunk?
Who will be glad to drink it?
And what will be forgotten?

*Grins*

I've sworn off strong drink that looks like blood. And that was a nice little piece of misdirection there, hope. Finally, my working copy ALSO has the 'u' in countries...

Pretty sharp of you Grim.

Thank you both for your news about the U.
Who knows. Maybe my edition is a incredible rarity, because JRRT actually made the same mistake in his original manuscript.
Maybe I've been walking around with the price of the Shire in my bookcase.

or maybe not. :-(

Go on then Grim.
I know you've got it.

If anyone needs a clue for part 1, I passed through here on the way back from Milan just 2 weeks ago.
But that may just shroud it in mystery.

Sometimes, one waits to see what develops, and it turns out to be life/reality, taking you away from plans (best laid, partially laid, quickly-concocted, or barely present). So it was with this....

Apologies for being an obliviot for about a month now. Prior to that, however, technology wasn't cooperating, then time was very scarce. 'Tis a good thing you all weren't holding your breath! :whistle:

Whose blood is to be drunk? Túrin Turambar's
Who will be glad to drink it? Gurthang
And what will be forgotten? The blood of Beleg and Brandir

There he drew forth his sword, that now alone remained to him of all his possessions, and he said: ' Hail Gurthang! No lord or loyalty dost thou know, save the hand that wieldeth thee. From no blood wilt thou shrink. Wilt thou therefore take Túrin Turambar, wilt thou slay me swiftly?'
And from the blade rang a cold voice in answer" 'Yea, I will drink thy blood gladly, that so I may forget the blood of Beleg my master, and the blood of Brnadir slain unjustly. I will slay thee swiftly.'

The Silmarillion, Quenta Silmarillion, Ch. XXI, Of Túrin Turambar

(Interestingly, Túrin's part of that excerpted dialogue is a little different in The Children of Húrin)

Quite right of course, Grim.
A black metal bell to you, and the next question.

(I really must find and read the Children of Hurin.)

*looks nervously at bell to make sure it doesn't start talking*

I guess if there was a good time to re-engage with a question about drinking blood, Halloween would be it, right? :D

OK, a seasonable chestnut for you all, then: Who dressed up in scary costumes?

As always, quotes appreciated, but not required.

Alas, no, and even if your current ava is one of Queen Beruthiel's, that's not where I'm looking, Ms. hope. I'm afraid you'll have to pair it back a bit...:D

No one?

If it goes any longer this challenge with join the ranks of the undead...:D