Children's Sci fi Series

Quokka

wandering
Hey all

There's a series I remember reading back in the early 80's that I've always thought was called Earth 2 or possibly Second Earth. I was a bit suprised when I finally decided to look it up and not only is the name not right I'm not even close enough to have had any luck searching for it :eek:.

I noticed there was a tv show called Earth 2 and although it didnt ring any bells it may have been related but I can't find any mention of it being based on an earlier book series.

So the few things I know about the books are that it was definately a series and I was either 6 or 7 when I read it so it was either a children's series or very, very light young adult. Thin books and atleast the 70's but quite possibly earlier. The story was definately not based on earth.

I think the main characters were children and that they lived on another planet, possibly in a type of bio domes.

Any suggestions much appreciated

The thing that springs immediately to mind is John Norman's 'Gorean Cycle', where the action is set on Gor, or 'Counter Earth', but although I read these as a young teen, I do seem to remember there being some adult content, so they may not be the books you're looking for... Other than that, I can't think what else to suggest, sorry.

Thanks for the tip Ian but its definately not the Gor series. I remember the covers being distinctly science fiction. I know I'm not much help with the details, its all very vague.

I'm mainly hoping that I've pulled Earth 2/Second Earth from somewhere, maybe the name of the planet they are on or one of the books but not the series. Unfortunately I'm coming up with nothing from internet searches.

Up until a few days ago I was quite happy thinking there was a series called Earth 2 that I read a few books of as a kid and had no intention of reading again.... now its going to bug me until I can work it out :(.

Try this site: Fantastic Fiction - you can search authors and book titles. There are anotations and cover photos for almost all the books so if you have the time and patience to check all the 767 matches for "earth" maybe you'll manage to find the one you're looking for :)

Good luck!

Thanks for the tip supergirl!

that's a great site, I've ended up there a few times while searching for book information but I've never taken down the name, its bookmarked now and it may just have helped me out. There is a book called Earth 2 (1955) written by Vargo Statten which is one of dozens of pen-name's for John Russell Fearn.

There's no cover or info for that book but the covers that are listed have the right look for what I remember. Its entirely possible I read this and other books by John Russell Fearn and not an actual series. I keep thinking it had a blue cover with a couple of figures (possibly in space suits) and something pinky/purple maybe a building or alien tree... will be fun to see if there is a version with anything like that.

But it looks like even if I wanted to read this again I'm going to struggle to find it. Nothing on Amazon, wiki, ebay, abebooks, isfdb.org (internet speculative fiction database) or ANY of the options from Fantastic Fiction. At the moment I'm still trying to find a cover or description of what the books about :(.

Still atleast I've found a book that might be it so thanks again supergirl. does anyone know of other sites that might have any information?

Last edited: