Bernard cornwell.

You worried me a sec there cause i thought for a scary second it was like GRRM series.

Im so sick of overly complex,world alternating high/epic fantasy. To me most of them are a disease atleast most of them neverending stories. Sadly most casual readers think thats all there is to fantasy.

This guy in a review about Legend said it best :

"Before there was JRR Tolkien, there was Robert E. Howard who created what would later be called Heroic Fantasy or Sword-and-Sorcery. With the justly-earned popularity of Lord of the Rings, it seems to me that many writers and publishers of fantasy fiction have forsaken the heroic ballads for overly-complex, over-sized, and, endless series. David Gemmell has not forgotten the heart of a good fantasy tale which is simply heroes "

No, it's none to complex. Told in the first person, so there's no jumping around, but it's written very well. Give it a go, can't hurt.

I will give a try. Bernard Cornwell sounds like my kind of fantasy writer/historical Fiction writer.

Right now im waiting for his Grail Quest books, if i like them its time for Warlord even though im sick of Arthurian legends books.

These aren't your typical Arthurian legend books, believe me. The Grail Quest wasn't too bad, but I thought they paled in comparison to the Warlord books, so keep that in mind. His current series, concerning the Viking invasion of England, is much better than the Grail books, in my opinion.

You mean of course The Saxons series? I have been looking for good Viking historical fiction. Not the type of Viking story i was looking for but still. I have read several about The Saxons attacking Britain. Many writers seems to like to write about that. Heh the last version was David Gemmell's Ghost King,Last Sword of Power.

Since i wait so long for my library order of Grail Quest. I will order The Saxons first book too. I have to try Cornwell before i start buying him.

I would advise a try before you buy policy, yes. As an aside, the Warlord books are quite heavily centred around the Saxon invasion, too.

Of course most Arthurian books are about him being a King when The Saxons was invading Britian. Just like The Gemmell books i mentioned. They are also about Arthur.

It doesnt matter as long as its good.

Oops, silly me, here was I thinking that King Arthur's raison d'etre was the romano-britons' last defence against the saxon invasion of the fifth century AD and that the mysic elements were only added later.:eek:

Oops, silly me, here was I thinking that King Arthur's raison d'etre was the romano-britons' last defence against the saxon invasion of the fifth century AD and that the mysic elements were only added later.:eek:

Thats suppose to be funny :rolleyes:

Hehe

Whats really the fetich of writing Arthur in Romano-Briton days.

What happened to old setting of Camelot and the myths.

The whole lot was added in the Middle Ages by some knight. The romano-british link from Cornwall (the last descendants of the Celts in England) is much earlier.

Could have seen that coming. With the knights of the round table and the shining city ;)

Just wondering why everyone has to write about the same version. Anyway it seems that way when you see Arthurian books.