Buggers !

Status
Not open for further replies.
He does seem bipolar beyond belief, but I think Card was setting something up for the sequels. I bet all the 'i love you' thing, and his posing as Locke were part of his mastermind evil plan. Maybe he exagerated both Peter's evilness and Valentine's sheepishness to emphasize the extremes at war in Ender's mind.

Valentine was more realistic, i liked her.

Have you finished reading this book?

Then you should know what happens to Peter. I doubt he will be an issue in the sequals.

Only a few pages left, hang on, I'll report back soon...:)

Ok, done. :)
I still think there should be something about him in the sequels. Maybe in Bean's trilogy or something. It did seem to me like OSC was setting something up with Peter, and it would have been interesting to see how it would be developed.

Addy i hope i didnt spoil anything for you.

I thought you said you had finished the book.

When i say sequals i mean the the rest of Ender's tale. I dont really care much about Bean's trilogy or any other series in the same universe.

No, what you said didn't spoil anything. I was just 20 pages from the end. I was hoping that Peter would do more damage than Card mentions. Maybe he did, since there's a line towards the end of the book about him talking to Ender via the ansible recalling his crimes and stuff like that. So I suppose there could be (or maybe there is and I don't know, since this is the first enderverse book I read) a place for Peter's 'adventures' somewhere in the series.

One funny thing about the book is the expressions Card takes from Portuguese, like gíria (Brazilian Portuguese for slang), and neh, which we use very frequently in the same sense he used in the book (only it's spelled ).

Peter plays a fairly large role in beans series. I have read the first three and they are pretty good.

Less philosopical and more action oriented than Ender's series is what i hear about Bean series. Is that correct?

One funny thing about the book is the expressions Card takes from Portuguese, like gíria (Brazilian Portuguese for slang), and neh, which we use very frequently in the same sense he used in the book (only it's spelled ).

I believe that comes from the fact that Card spent two years in Brazil, serving a mission for his church.

Less philosopical and more action oriented than Ender's series is what i hear about Bean series. Is that correct?

I think so, Bean's series is pretty action oriented but I have not read the Ender series yet to compare as the books seem to be harder to find.

Ender series hard to find? Where do you live in north pole ;)

Ender's Game is his most fameous book, it wont be hard finding it.

You must read it specially since Bean is seen first in Ender's Game. Plus it Ender is very interesting character. Its what made the book as good as it is.

I've read Ender's game but not the rest of the series. Speaker for the dead is a little bit harder to find then shadow of the hegemon.

Keep in mind, these series were concepted of before the W.W.W. At the time, he could not just hop onto his computer and do a "SEARCH". It only existed with the extremely wealthy at that point, if at all. Most like, he did not even HAVE a computer. Read the original copyright date.

I think the whole Bugger name is to show that the society that Card crafted is childish in its way to comprehend the unknown. In his other books he also uses childish alien names like the piggies in xenocide.

I found the Bugger name rather a tad off putting. Made me smirk every time I read it.

I'm English, and from stock that uses the term in all its connotations. From outright sordid buggery, "Oh, bugger me! and "Look at that bugger over there!" That type of stuff.

In the end I had to resort to brain washing myself into reading it as Bugs like Heinlein's Starship Troopers.

Where there any kiddies, who presumably would know the meaning of bugger, from Britain, Ireland, Australia or New Zealand etc.. in the book training with Ender?

I don't think there were, or at least I can't remember. I suppose they never volunteered; with enemies with silly names they never took the war seriously.

I thought it was just a slang term for the aliens. Like Krauts for the germans in WWII

Ah the multiple variety of language.

Always makes me laugh. (The Americanisation of the word for rear-end is a completely different anatomy part in the UK :lol:)

I must admit when I read Enders Game I didn't bother about the name even though it has a different meaning over here.

In other news I have read that they are making an "Enders Game" game for the PS3/360 based around the Battlerooms

Sci-fi novel Ender's Game to become video game | Lifestyle | Living | Reuters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back