Anti-heroes

Teresa Edgerton

Goblin Princess
Staff member
Supporter
So they've put me on a BayCon panel about anti-heroes. The title of the panel mentions villains and anti-heroes, but the panel description makes it obvious the actual topic is the rise of the anti-hero.

I can think of a few books I've read recently where the main characters fit that classification, but beyond that my mind is blank. I've always preferred the conflicted-hero type to the outright anti-hero, anyway. Nor do I think I've ever written a character who really qualifies, although maybe a couple of them skirt the edges of that territory.

So if anyone would like to share what they think is behind the current appeal of the anti-hero -- or why they like them -- or jog my memory as to who some of the best ones are -- or provide me with any sort of food for thought before the panel rolls around on Monday ... well, I'll be grateful for your input.

Quite a few of Moorcock's characters could be seen in that light, from Elric to Jerry Cornelius to Maximilian Pyatnitski, to name only three. Elric is, at most, a reluctant hero, forced into the role through circumstance ... but he as often proves a disruptive element (fitting for a member of a people devoted to Chaos). J.C. -- well, he's someone with an enormous (though fragile) ego, big dreams, and who is really a bit of a fool... ultimately good-hearted, but not at all the mover-and-shaker he sees himself to be, and frequently self-pitying... yet with a saving sense of humor and somehow able to engender exasperated affection in people... a lot like a very bright, often witty, and frequently pain-in-the-neck child..... (Or, as Colin Greenland put it: "The Global Village breeds the Global Village Idiot".)

Pyat is well-meaning, but horrific in his views, self-deceiving, the quitessential "unreliable narrator"; what good he does is more often in spite of rather than by dint of effort; yet he becomes a fascinating character because he is so much our own tendencies in exaggerated form that he becomes very human -- and he sometimes has wonderful dreams (which he inevitably destroys because of his inability to see himself -- or anything else -- clearly).

Karl Edward Wagner's Kane is also an antihero, I'd say -- he is at least as often the "villain" as the "hero" -- and almost consistently driven by ignoble motives... but on occasion by quixotic bursts of nobility or love which usually come close to destroying him emotionally. He is selfish, a murderer many times over, he betrays the trust of those who believe in him time after time, but because he refuses to let himself be used he does often perform heroic deeds that help others -- and yet his arrogance and selfishness earn him the despite of those he helps, driving him even further into himself and away from his links to humanity -- but which he can never quite escape.

Lord Gro, in Eddison's Worm -- a turncoat and a physical coward who performs noble deeds and then betrays those he befriends when they begin to succeed -- driven by a certain feeling for the losing side, whatever the merits of the case.

Even James Bond is something of an antihero. He's a paid assassin; he's often brutal, cold, selfish, self-aggrandizing, and he uses (or has a desire to use) women without any emotional attachment -- yet he finds himself caring more often than he'd like, and it costs him dearly more than once, and he is on occasion willing to be self-sacrificing for someone even at the cost of perhaps failing in his mission. He's also got a romantic streak that trips him up more than once, and which he simultaneously despises and stubbornly sticks to. It's always struck me that, when the series opens, he really is a cold and selfish *******, but he grows to see more of his ties to others until, when he confronts Scaramanga, he recognizes (if not entirely, still to a great degree) himself -- and he's horrified by what he sees.

These are ones that come to mind right off. Perhaps part of the attraction is the more realistic view that gets us away from the older Heroic and Romantic idea that got the stuffing knocked out of it in the last century or so of warfare, when people began to realize that most of that ideal no longer applied, and that the weaponry made it no longer a point of skill or valour or anything but a game of superior weaponry and accretion -- and chance, more often than not; when huge numbers could be wiped out within a few hours -- or entire cities within a few minutes. Thus we began to realize that heroism (in the big sense) was an illusion like so much else. The antihero isn't a true villain, but more like the common person faced with extreme choices... frequently failing through human weakness or greed or fear or simple selfishness, but sometimes showing a streak of compassion and nobility that causes them to do surprising things. They're more complex than heroes and villains in that way, more human. They have doubts and flaws that most people can empathize with -- even while they find them frustrating.

I'd say it's because they're easier to relate to in this age of post-modernism, where the emphasis is still largely on "realism" in fiction, rather than the older, chivalric and romantic models. I've seen it argued that Faustaff is an antihero, for instance... and with considerable basis, I'd say.

A couple more come to mind -- the noir detectives, who are seldom heroic save when forced to be by circumstance -- to fulfill a job they've taken on, or to save their hide. Or even John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee, who sometimes sees himself as the knight in tarnished armor "getting up on that old spavined steed" -- but who'll duck out of most situations if he can... unless prompted by a very quirky sense of personal honor. And even Gollum is something of that sort, as he's occasionally shown as somewhat wistfully longing for the companionship and acceptance of Frodo, and is even gentle and perhaps even caring at times... yet he is hardly heroic in any normal sense of the word -- but he fulfills the quest where Frodo would have failed, albeit by accident ... or chance.

Thanks, JD. But I guess I didn't make myself clear. It appears that they want us to talk about anti-heros in more recent books. Which is why I'm at a loss.

Thanks, JD. But I guess I didn't make myself clear. It appears that they want us to talk about anti-heros in more recent books. Which is why I'm at a loss.

Ah. Hmmm. On that one -- save, perhaps, for some of the Moorcock -- I'm a babe-in-the-woods....

How about Artemis Fowl, in the first book in the Artemis series? He sees himself as a bad guy, and he does bad stuff. (He's not an irredeemable bad guy, but still.)

I only know of two, and they're Thomas Covenant and Riddick.

In Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever by Stephen R. Donaldson, the main character is quite despicable, while you can really grow to care about some of the supporting characters. Covenant is a man with leprosy who never really comes to terms with his condition, and often thinks of himself as "outcast" and "unclean." When he's thrown into a strange world called "the Land" in order to save it from Lord Foul, he refuses to believe any of it is real. Then he starts off his adventures with one of the most horrible acts a person can commit and begins to alienate the people around him. Despite his shortcomings, some of the other characters devote their lives to him, and they really make the story worth reading.

Everyone must know Riddick by now, from the movies Pitch Black and The Chronicles of Riddick. He even calls himself a killer, has no motivation to save the universe whatsoever, but he seems to grow fond of a few people in particular and decides that he at least wants to help them.

Well, there's my 2c, anyway.:)

How about Harry Harrison's Slippery Jim DiGriz, AKA The stainless steel rat ?

A gloriously unredeemed anti-hero with a psychopathic wife.

There's also a new YA book about to be made into a film called H.I.V.E. (Higher Institute of Villainous Education) which features a brilliant young villain whose genius for criminal activity is recognised at an early age. The story, I believe, centres around the school for super villains. I imagine it will do quite well.

Here's the blurb from amazon:

H.I.V.E. (Higher Institute of Villainous Education) is a top secret school of applied villainy where children with a precocious talent for wrongdoing are sent to develop their talents into criminal mastermind. After all, 'villains have the best lines and wear the best costumes'. One small catch is that the children cannot leave until training is complete, six years later. With villainy comes a certain freedom of thought, and every year one student in particular will show exceptional talent - after all, it takes the best to produce the worst. This year there are two students: Otto Malpense and his new friend Wing Fanchu are both exceptionally bad, and they are definitely not keen on being held against their will for six long years.

The link is: Amazon.co.uk: H.I.V.E.: Higher Institute of Villainous Education (Hive): Books: Mark Walden

Ah well, the panel that inspired the question in the first place came and went two months ago. I'm not even sure I remember what we actually talked about. I think we sort of rambled around the subject without ever really coming to grips with it, and that the other other panelists were no better able than I was at coming up with examples from recent books.

Getting ready to do a review of The Hidden Stars, I remembered Prince Cuillioc was the most interesting character. Then I recalled a review of Goblin Moon that stated that the bad guys overshadowed the good guys. Perhaps you should write about an anti-hero, as the less-than-goody-goody seems the type of character that people think you write about best. Just a thought.

Then I recalled a review of Goblin Moon that stated that the bad guys overshadowed the good guys.

I think you must have seen that in a review of The Queen's Necklace, where I remember that a reviewer said something of the sort. The "hero" of Goblin Moon is a drug addict with a split personality and an itchy trigger finger.

But that does sort of prove your point, because he's the most popular character I've ever written. Still, my characters tend to choose me, rather than the reverse.

BSG, and Lost are full of anti-heroes. Seriously, just pick something post-Gernsbeck that has any degree of character development and you can probably get some ideas.

I wasn't at a loss for ideas, Omphalos, I was just looking for some titles of recent books with anti-heroic protagonists, that being the subject of the panel. If we'd been talking about classics, I would have had plenty to say. As it was, I brought up Lies of Locke Lamora and a few others that attract a lot of discussion on forums like this one, but there were blank looks from the other panelists. None of us had read any of the same books, old or new, as anyone else on the panel, and the conversation languished. OK, I said to myself, if we aren't going to talk about books, let's see what we can do with TV. I mentioned Sayid and Sawyer on Lost (which I agree with you should have sparked some discussion) but that didn't go far. So I gave up on current shows and said (which I was sure would provoke an enthusiastic response) that I was a big Spike fan when Buffy was still on. That was good for about five minutes out of the hour.

Mercifully, that particular panel is now several months in my past.

Wow. I guess that's what I get for 1/2 reading everything in front of my eyes. Duh!

Sawyer and Locke didn't go far? Well, you were doomed from the start, then.

Sawyer and Locke didn't go far? Well, you were doomed from the start, then.

This is sometimes the case with convention panels. If you are fortunate, you get a group of individuals who are actually interested in the topic at hand, have prepared themselves in advance to speak on it, and who have such fascinating things to say that everyone stimulates everyone else to new heights of eloquence.

But you also have discussions where most of the panelists don't even know why they are there, until somebody opens the book and reads out the description of the panel.

I think you can guess which category that particular discussion fell into.