Contemporary kick-ass heroines

Carolyn Hill

Brown Rat, wandering & wondering
In the Kelley Armstrong thread, Bookstop asked about other authors who are writing in the subgenre of fantasy/light-horror that features contemporary kick-ass heroines fighting bad guys and dealing with romantic entanglements.

Some of the names that came up in discussion are:

Kelley Armstrong
Charlaine Harris
Kim Harrison
C.E. Murphy
Laura Anne Gilman
Laurell K. Hamilton (although her later novels forsake plot for sex)

I just finished reading a new author whose first novel fits the subgenre:

Vicki Pettersson, The Scent of Shadows

Unlike the powers of the other heroines in the subgenre, the heroine's powers in Pettersson's book aren't based in shamanism, witchcraft, vampirism, werewolfery, or the more traditional magics. Her powers have an astrological basis, and there's a comic-book superhero overlay (for some as-yet unexplained reason, the adventures of the organization that recruits her are dramatized and illustrated by comic-book geeks).

Are there any other authors whose works we can add to the list?

Tanya Huff has a couple of different series - Blood, Smoke, and ....agh I can't remembe rthe other series but it has a talking cat that helps a twenty-something girl close rips between our world anf the underworld...not my favorite writer, but lots of people do enjoy her books.

Rachel Caine -- she writes the Weather Warden series headed by Joanne Baldwin.

I'm glad you included Kim Harrison; I really like Rachel! :)

Tanya Huff [ . . . ] has a talking cat that helps a twenty-something girl close rips between our world and the underworld.

Right, Bookstop, good call. I'd forgotten Huff's Summoning series: Summon the Keeper, The Second Summoning, and Long Hot Summoning.

And Stormpirate, yes, yes! Definitely Rachel Caine's Weather Wardens. I like those books a lot.

Patricia Briggs. The main character is a shapeshifter though. I've only read the first of the books, Moon Called.

Tanya Huff has a couple of different series - Blood, Smoke, and ....agh I can't remembe rthe other series but it has a talking cat that helps a twenty-something girl close rips between our world anf the underworld...not my favorite writer, but lots of people do enjoy her books.

A very good writer.

Mark Lawrence's Book of the Ancestors series has some serious ass kicking females.

Brandon Sanderson's Skyward has a great female lead too.

The Birthgrave by Tanith Lee Enigmatic , Mysterious, frightening and unforgettably cool female lead .:cool:

The Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia McKillip Sybel the Sorceress and here amazing beasts :cool:

The Birthgrave by Tanith Lee Enigmatic , Mysterious, frightening and unforgettably cool female lead .:cool:

The Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia McKillip Sybel the Sorceress and here amazing beasts :cool:
Forgotten Beasts is awesome.

The first one that comes to me is Lisbeth Salander.

If you want a kick-ass heroine what about Hit Girl with Big Daddy from the graphic novels Kick Ass, also the films, she swears like a trooper and really, really kicks ass!!!

CJ Carter's 'Android Me'.
Several characters, but particularly Amilyn Marx.

Back