Thoughts on Jacob

Regarding the voice John heard inside the hut...You guys are aware that for a second or two we actually got to see a long-haired figure sitting at the table?

After the last 2 days' recaps, I did indeed see the figure in the chair (if I saw it last season, I didn't remember it). However, as we were seeing him from Locke's POV, I'm not sure the figure wouldn't count as simply an hallucination on Locke's part... much like his vision of Walt, coaxing him out of suicide in the Dharma grave.

(Thank God for those recaps... I'd forgotten so much over that stoopid-long hiatus...)

Sorry to burst you bubble Ian8781, but if you watched the special recap of all the secrets revealed so far hosted by the show's Producers: Carson Cuse and Damon Lindehoff that aired last night on ABC, your theory was put aside.

Here's what they said: "There is a theory that the characters are in some sort of purgatory but we have both said that they aren't and they are very much alive and breathing and somewhere in the space-time continuum."

good call. I think Ian's thought was very far fetched even for it being Lost. And I definitely don't think this show is going to take the religious route with hell and heaven and god and whatnot.

why cant someone be alive and in purgatory at the same time? Maybe the lost island is the afterlife and the people on the plane just ended up going there directly rather than having to die first. The only way to escape then is to actually die and go up or down

Well, the time travel dispels almost all of the purgatory theory but there remains the issue of the death of Jeremy Bentham that we will soon learn more about.