Reaper's Gale with spoilers

Rane Longfox

Red Rane
So, for anyone who's finished the book, what were your thoughts?

Overall, I thought it was an excellent book. At times, nearly as good as MoI. A little bit disjointed - it was a bit odd when the narrative kept skipping between the two wars, East and West. Other than the apparently irrelevant story of Redmask, and as a sign of the general collapse of the Empire, as well as the arrival of the Barghast, the last two of which could have been dealt with in any number of ways, there didn't seem to be any actual reason behind going into such detail with the Awl war.
But, aside from that hiccup, the storyline was superb, I thought - perfectly suited to the characters within it.

The writing, on the other hand, showed signs of... well, not decline, but certainly stagnation. There was less crispness to a number of the scenes, the humour seemed more forced, and the constant repetition of phrases and similar paragraphs did start to grate after a while.

I would suggest that SE should take a little longer writing his next books, to introduce a little bit more literary variety.

well amazing I felt, I not sure about the technical side of writing just what i enjoy,

I would agree with the whole Awl war, I not sure what it was about, sure it was entertaining enough and brilliant to read about Toc again and Tool, but I don't understand why that was in there, unless there is more to come in relation to living K'Chain Che'Malle.

I was pretty upset that now the whole of the Sengar line is now dead except for Seren's unborn child.

Really enjoyed Karsa Orlong as usual very entertaining and such a force of nature I think is the best way to discribe him.

The real highlight of the book was following the marine's of the 14th as they did what they were trained for. To me this was the most entertaining side of the book, the most detailed outing of Malazan tatics and battle skill, seeing what the marines were like in their own environment was brilliant. I think this was the real core of this book and by far the most entertaining and gripping.

Also Tehol Beddict as the new ruler of the Letherii I felt was a touch of genius.

My only question would be who was the strange aged mason at the end who helped Seren with the paving slab? Whiskyjack?????????

Really looking forward to the next book now to see what will happen.

I would rate as second only to Memories of Ice and a very close second at that.

Another section which I have to say was just brilliant dragon's V munitions.... fantastic.

Bottle squinted at the fast dwindling dragon. Allow us to introduce ourselves.....

Really I not sure myself, wasn't he with Tehol, plus he didn't match the Bugg discription. I could be wrong, but I didn't think it was him.

Well, we didn't really get a description of him, other than being old and having mason's hands, but don't forget, for the duration of Midnight Tides and Reaper's Gale, Bugg had been working for Bugg's Constuction... a masonry company:)
He had left Tehol earlier, when Ublala was mentioned for Finadd, and said he was going for a walk. He also says he'd had a "discussion" with the Errant - would Whiskeyjack know who that was, even if he did ascend?

yeah I suppose I must have missed when he said he was going for a walk.

Another question, in an interview with SE, somewhere on this site and others, he says he is only bringing one more person back from the dead. Do you think he ment Hedge or someone else as he had already appeared in Bonehunters.

I loved it, but I damn well hope that the Grey Swords died for something. They just seemed to die so we could focus on a pointless war that led to Toc's death during an even more pointless battle.

I mean, have you noticed that Erikson always seems to pull a Friday the 13th part II on us? Having people walk away happily ever after only to have them die pointlessly in the sequel.

I've not read the book yet, we get it in June in OZ but it sounds as if it is almost as great as MOI, which is more than enough reason to party!!...:)

I was surprised at the amount of deaths of seemingly important people,
I mean the 3 sisters, almost Silchas Ruin (truly i was certain he was gonna die as well, nicely done that), trull, ... . (What are your thoughts on Uruth and Tomad being dead or not by the way?

Also we are left with Rud Elalle, a freak boy (imass reased, human/tistii dragon soletaken), And with TWO children of Trull (one with the eres'al and one with Seren Pedac. And both gotta be strong, the first child of trull is obvious, the second, with Seren Pedac extremy high skill in Mockra gotte be a powerhouse as well.

I always liked the combination of Fiddler and Hedge and glad he is back among the living. As for the combination of Quick Ben and Kalam, they are beginning to be a powerhouse rivaling Cotillion and Ammanas. Makes we wonder that they might be the ones taking over that part of the shadowrealm (the entrance hall or whatever it was) when cotillion and ammanas step their game up, and go for the azath rulership.

Wonder what will come forth of the whole purification thingie by beak, their white as bone know, the lot, (besides Stormy and gesler that is), and wondering of some ascendancy powers remeain in Hedge. In any case, the old bridgeburners seem to be getting more powerful by the book.(Already they're rivaling dragons)

Best moments of the book where offcourse hellian, her lines just made me laugh non-stop. The two Corporal parts and so on.

As for Toc, AND THIS IS JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION, i am glad he is dead, always whining and so on. For that reason Seren may die as well, perhaps at childbirth :)

I dislike the (over-)whiners, this is why unlike many, i never warmed up to Ganoes Paran.

Don't get me started on Keneb and Blistig, bunch of old women, that they are

I have to say that I was a bit disappointed in Reaper's Gale. The Redmask storyline just didn't draw me in and much of the first half of the book seemed slow and very disjointed. I had to fight to keep from skimming.

Once the Malazans showed up I started enjoying the book more. But honestly, for the first time in this series, I thought there was too much philosophizing. I'd been of the mindset 'That's a feature, not a bug!' in the earlier books, but this time it went on a bit much. And completely unlike the other books, this one felt too long.

I imagine things will improve when I re-read it - I certainly didn't hate it but I like Bonehunters more. (But then, I'm odd in that I really, really loved Bonehunters).

I have no idea what happened to Icarium but we better find out in the next book.

Latest Icarium theory, which seems to be as good as any, from malazanempire:
The collapsing of buildings originally occurs beacuse Icarium enters Letheras. The machine is designed to fix his memories, and heal him. It was built (apparently by him) earlier, and reconfigures to fit to him at this point. That is the initial collapse--sort of a way of saying hello when plugged in (so to speak), and it presages the destruction caused by the machine when it is turned on.

Once the time is right, he uses it. The goal of the machine is to bring Icarium into time--so that he has memories, grows, and changes. Currently, he is outside of time, and thus, cannot remember. This tool of his is much more significant than his other timekeeping devices. I am only presuming Icarium built it. It is possible that someone else did, and he is just using it.

I might be mis-remembering, but isn't there something about the machine not functioning correctly? This is as it's stealing the memories from some of those trapped near it.

Yes, it was broken. But this theory then rambled on to say he thinks it transported Icarium back in time to become the Crippled God, which is just stupid, so I left that out.

It's unknown what effect the flaw may have, and what caused it, but we reckon it either means that Icarium is dead (which would be.... bizarre, after building him up so much, even for Erikson and his tragic death theme), or, more likely, he ends up with all those memories as well as his own. It would be fun to see how he reacts to having Taxilian and Senior Assessor in his head, certainly. Especially since the Cabalii is convinced that he's mad :D

That was my first reaction, as well, that icarium just could not have dead that easily, even with him vutting himself open trying to become like K'rull. Perhaps it succeeded, cause we learn that conversation or so is needed, for K'rul its mockra, perhaps for Icarium, it are the spirits of the others.

Also that is what i have found to be one of the minor points in Erikson books, the conversations are always either drooped with emotion or filosophy, or they are humorous, almost never a normal conversation, that normal beings would have. You get only a few, and even those are basically almost vital to the story, like when Whiskeyjack told Anomander about the Raraku desert and quick ben.

what conversations like the price of bread??

I think that machine is leading to Icarium asencention as we have just found out he has worshippers, although having worshippers doesn't mean you can't ascend in does help, as far as i can tell.

Also don't forgot Mappo Runt is on his way to find his missing friend, i think he is a force to come as so far he has been very restrant in what he does.

i have to say i like Toc the younger, I not sure why he had to die or really if the redmask story was just to bring living KCCM, and also to confirm tat Toc the younger is still alive and that there seems to be more of the old guard alive than what was first let on.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Pyan Obituaries 4
Judderman Steven Erikson 6
S Steven Erikson 6
Rane Longfox Steven Erikson 45
Werthead Steven Erikson 9