No second season for Dresden Files?

dwndrgn

Fierce Vowelless One
So far it looks as if SciFi isn't planning on renewing The Dresden Files. A fan has organized a website for those interested in telling SciFi to get back to work and produce more of the series. If you are interested, here is the link:
Renew the Dresden Files!

As far as I know it had a great following. No idea why they wouldn't immediately assume another season. It was definitely getting better with each new episode too. Sigh. Well, for what it's worth, visit the website above and tell SciFi to renew.

Wow, I'm quite surprised at that. I would have thought that a second season would be a sure thing. Well, hopefully it will get a second series, and the Dresden Files won't go the same way as a lot of other shows that are limited to one season, regardless of their potential, just because they don't get instant ratings success.

I thought it was ok, I don't know the actual ratings. I can see why they dropped it (from my POV), it was essentially a rework of the PI story with a bit of magic thrown in.

Neither the occult element of the show nor the detective element was particularly gripping.

The whole show felt a bit small scale, a little anaemic. It needed (IMO) more oomph.

I'm not surprised at all. It wasn't that GREAT of a show. It felt like a cross between Charmed and Dick Tracy. I watched a few episodes, but man it was BORING.

I liked the show. Sure, they made some mistakes, but they did a lot of things right too.

The show has potential and a pretty big fanbase. If they make a few changes to things like 'the way the story is written' (make the stories a little less 'dumbed down') and give the stories a bit better lead-in to the climax, they'll fare much better.

The casting was very good. Blackthorne and Mann are fantastic. Valerie Cruz was really getting a good handle on Murphy and Conrad Coates kicks so much butt as Morgan.

There were a couple bad episodes - well, more boring, than bad - but there were some really good ones in there too. "Hair of the Dog" and "What About Bob" were both very well done (despite the horrid CGI werewolf).

I am surprised that there isn't going to be another series. Just because it wasn't an instant success doesn't mean to say that it would stay that way. The fans are there and more would come along if given the chance, in my opinion.

Robert Wolfe, the producer, hasn't heard anything from the Sci-Fi Channel, or so he says on the Jim Butcher forum.

I don't think there's gonna be a decision until the middle of next month (June).

Or, so we've been told. So - I guess we're still iin 'wait and see' mode.

Thank goodness, that show isn't all that great. (Just my opinion guys, kinda joking)
Mabye they will bring back the invisible man instead.

Tiny tiny update - Robert Wolfe said that SciFi hasn't decided anything yet and the speculation on that is 'this is probably good' - meaning that if SciFi was going to cancel the series they would've already done so.

I've also read (again, from Robert) that the cast is signed on for a second season.

So - we'll see.

I wasn't that big a fan. I started on the books, and tried very hard to ignore what I knew from the books. Even then, I didn't think it was very good. If you take the books into account, it was terrible. I'm sorry, Mr. Butcher, but your books are loads of fun, but the show sucked. JMO.

The show lacked the humor and wit of the books. That's where it really fell down as far as I was concerned. I could, grudgingly, accept a Murphy that wasn't hot, blonde and a badass, but changing her character up as much as they did was difficult.

Bob was semi-funny but not nearly as fun as he is in the books.

I like how Harry's magic works in the books, too. I like the way Butcher uses circles and the occult. It was completely left out of the show.

All of this is from watching 4 or 5 episodes. I couldn't stomach more than that. I was terribly disappointed. I'd rather see Sci-Fi invest into a GRRM or RJ cartoon or a live show with budget. There should be some money freed up with Battlestar retiring.

I didn't get into the show as much as the books, but I did TiVo it and watch it when I could. Yes, there were problems, but they could have been ironed out. The actors were getting into the swing of the characters.

And this from the channel that will repeatedly show Mosquito!, but not give this show another chance.