few questions on the series

Lord_Pc

hi, i read the series a while back but have forgotten alot of the finer points of the books.

i have a few questions, any help would be greatly appreciated

1) when garion is reading the mrin and it reveals he must fight torak (i think this is about book 3) how does he try not to go? as in, how does he try to refuse to go and battle torak?

2) what are some of the many obstacles that garion faces while he is travelling to go and fight torak. all i can remember is something to do with belgarath painting all these tatoos on his body to make him look like a dream follower so no one would talk to them

3) when torak is killed, does garion not want to go back to riva?

thx

For your first question, I think that Garion didn't want to go until the Prophecy told him what would happen if he chose to meet Torak with the massed Alorn armies. After that, he changed his mind and went to find Silk and Belgarath. At least, that's what I think happened. It's been a while since I read them.

For your second question, there are a few obstacles that Garion faces whilst going to fight Torak. Firstly, there's the fact that Polgara sends people out to bring them back. Secondly, there's Vordai, the witch of the fens, who refuses to let them through the Drasnian Fens. Then there's the constant Grolim problem, and the Hounds of Torak. I think there are more, but as I said - it's been a while, so I'll need to reread to find them all.

As for your third question, I don't think Garion saw a problem in going back to Riva; I think he wanted to.

I'm sure that there will be people along soon enough correcting me, and adding bits I've missed. Hope that helps, though.:)

The voice of the prophecy told Garion that whatever happened, the combat with Torak had to happen, whether through a war which could last for decades or the direct confrontation he eventually chose. He went for the confrontation to avoid needless waste of life, and largely succeeded.

The incident with the tatoos came about as Garion, with Silk and his grandfather, crossed into the territory of the demon-worshipping Morndim who are highly suspicious of strangers whose heads don't adorn their quest staves. The tattoos were part of a disguise to make our heroes look like a wandering party of morndim on a cultural journey and allow the party to pass unmolested. After they encountered a morndim magician out to make a reputation for himself, they were left well alone.

I think one of the main obstacles Garion encounters in in keeping the Orb disguised - I vaguely remember a paragraph where Belgarath talks to the Orb whilst inside Garion's head.
Then there's the various characters they come across - the Old man and the Donkey, Vordai, and situations which possibly could delay him from getting to Torak.
There's a lot of complications in actually getting through Cthol Mishrak; Hounds, Grolims, Torak beginning to stir (as Talysia's mentioned).
Also, the fact his fiancee has to start a war to distract the Angarak nation...

but hey nothing can stop destiny now can it? ;)

'sides Belgarath knew more then he admitted you could tell..:cool:

Ah, I forgot about the scene where Belgarath has to talk to the Orb to get it to be less noticeable. Thanks, HH.:)