Caswallon
Grymauch

Also: Rage
Bane
Tenaka
Dace
Virruk
The Damned

The 2 gay guys from Quest For Lost Heroes.
Didn't Like any Shannow Characters

Hey! been a while since i was last on, so i've had a chance to think about more of Davids characters.

Sigarni wasn't well liked, for a reason. David kept getting fan mail asking for a more 'heroic' female character, more like the men. David tried explaining that the women in his stories were heroes, but fans pressed on. So he gave them what they wanted. A female who was like a male 'hero'. She acted like a man, but in the wrong way. Yes, she had multiple partners, like a man would. She would be cold, etc etc. She was supposed to be a woman, but acted like a man instead, which is why it was hard to like her.

Shannow was a very strange part of davids life. What could have happened in life, what was he so upset about, to create a character like Jon Shannow? He is 'out of line' with a lot of his other characters. David must've been going through a very rough, strange and upsetting stage in his life, circling with religion.

Jaim and Druss are great charcters, for david especially. They are based on his father, everything he held for his dad in his these characters.

Dace and Chio are there to balance each-other out.

There is something else i wanted to say, but its late at the moment, so my brain is in sleep mode lol. Post something more soon lol.

My favirote.. because ive just recently read hero in the shadows...
has got to be Three Swords it just stresses the point in the quote even in the darkest of people there is the smallest light which can catch alite

the best would have to be culain and druss how could you argue about true heros:):):)

the worse would be musicans or poets they would rather sing or write than pick up a sword and fight

In no particular order:

Hektor
Achilles
Helikaon
Banokles
Agamemmnon
Moidart
Odysseus
Jaim
Connovar
Bane
Rage
Volton
Waylander
Decado
Parmenion
Leonidas
Kalliades
Jon Shannow
Ruathain
Skilgannon

I'm sure theres plenty more :p

best for me is the morrigu evil/good/both?? brilliant character.
worst is dardelion thought he was a boring little whinger, waylander should have just killed him.

Best:

Viruk
because he actually thinks he's a god lol
'I may be a god, but I am a god with a broken leg.' - Viruk

Bison
Because he's an old fart, who sees a strapping young lad whenever he sees himself in the mirror lol
Also I found him the most heroic character in all of the Drenai stories.

Worst:
None of I can think of.

Actually I find quite often that his secondary characters are more interesting than the main protagonists- Tenaka, Talaban, Mananan, the guy from Quest for Lost Heroes all spring to mind as more-or-less stock heroes with superior sidekicks. Even the mighty Waylander loses out to Yu-Yu Liang in Hero in the Shadows, imo

This is actually more prevalent in the side novels, though some of the main novels this also happens.

e.g. I found that I just didn't care what happened to Talaban in Echoes of the Great Song. Die already! He just seemed like a cookie cutter character. I preferred Questor Ro, he had more depth. Then well into the story he introduces the super contrasted Viruk. Brilliant with a Zhi Bow, even more brilliant in the garden, with a dash of insane. That character *saved* that novel.

So the Talabans, Tarantio's and Tenakas. The three T's are the worst for me.

The Viruk's, Culain's and Rage's are the besties.

Best:

Tough one this one, going to have to go for two -

Dace: he is an actual badass

Decado: Appears a few times, in all of them he just dominates the other characters with his personality and awesome skills.

Worst:

I thought the boy form The White Wolf was an especially weak character, he apparently saved druss the legend, which should never have happened, any other book with druss in could have easily taken a single joining, and the boy is generally annoying.

Amazing! David gemmell forum I read DG every day been on a loop of his books for past 7 years lol ill do my top 5 best and worst and best side characters

1, Bane
2, Waylander
3, Helikeon
4, Druss
5, Charoes

Worst
1, Ustarte - does nothing
2, Sirgani - up herself
3, that dude who gets beat by grimauch in the festival. Wee arse
4, Anharrat - seems abut **** for unholy demon lord
5, Tanaki - hate her type of character needs to be put down a peg or two

Sides
1, Stavut - always forgotten but he's a legend
2, Banokles - he makes me chuckle
3, Moidart - I love baddies who are so drole and dry
4, Serbitar - obvious reasons
5, Sioben - his patter with studs makes me laugh all the time

Others worth mentioning are. Argurious, taebard jeakal, beltzer, manahan, Odysseus, and Vorna probs the best witch ever better than mgonnigal lol.

omg! Viruk - he's one of the best characters in any of the books!
Viruk's rebel cool and has a real mans man approach, Gemmel totally nailed the Atlantean arrogance of the man.

My favourite is Tarantio / Dace, they are like a killing machine against the hordes of death!

Ok so no one has brought up Culain from Ghost King and Last Sword of Power as a badass. Come on this guy is an immortal who trained countless legendary swordsman and/or killed them himself.

Weakest I would have to agree with Tanaki. The only thing that redeemed that character at all was the way she acted after she got raped. The sad part was that it took that to humble her.

I went trough first two books so far and Decado is so awesome :) Cant share yet any thought on worst.

Still limited to a few books, but I could say for now that John Shannow is my best, while the protagonist from Last Sword of Power seems weak.