need help relating to the Belgariad series

Lord_Pc

hi

ive got an assignment. i have to pick a written text and analyse it.

im gonna do the Belgariad but i have forgotten much of what happened since i read it a few years ago. one main part of the assignment is how the quest (orb and defeating Torak) in the series relates to the quest cycle by joseph cambell. (type in "The_Hero_with_a_Thousand_Faces" into wiki to get the page then go to contents)

i have to relate all those parts on the page to the series. such as how garion refuses to leave faldors farm and then he accepts the change. and how there are hurdles that stop the party from catching zedar

so i would just like help as already mentioned i have forgotton alot, especially little tid bits. so i am looking for help by those that have a greater memory of the books

so my first question is, when garion slays torak, how does he refuse to return to riva? if he refuses at all???

i will have more as i continue to do more of the work

thx

I don't think Garion refused to go back to Riva, either. In spite of everything, he'd said goodbye to Faldor's Farm and Riva was now his home.

ya he definatly went back to Riva with no compunctions (right word?)

Garion certainly DOES return to Riva, the end of the book is where garion and cenedra have gone to the "royal bed chamber" and belgarath is in the hall of the rivan king, he's talking to the orb when it turns pink and belgarath chuckles to himself.

unfortunately, Garion throughout the entire series does what he is told to do. he might resist, he might resent, but in no case has he ever refused to do anything. on leaving the farm, he goes along. though it does take him some time to realize that he's not gonna get to go back. his mnain resistance to anything was to try to deny his own power, and of course the destiny of him facing down a god.

I find it funny that you've got us doing your homework.

Heck I'm just glad we didn't have more than JANET (which almost no-one had access to) when I was just starting to pick around with early Z80 home computers without modems when I was doing homework. Saved having to worry about the ethics of the above issue.

Then again, for Mrs P'T's latest coursework she's been able to ask people she's ONLY met through the internet if they would mind completing some questionnaire or other. So it is good for things homework related. And most information via Google or Wiki is reasonably accurate if you cross-check a few sources.

yep, garion happily returned to be king of riva and set up for the guardians of the west epic.

but didnt he stop by at Faldors farm on the way to Riva, he was just saying goodbye to hes old life as i recall

The object of the assignment is to get you to think about the power of mythology in humans. Having others answer your questions will defeat the purpose of the assignment. Your professor is not only trying to educate you about myths but also how to think and balance and evaluate the variables of the assignment in order to become a more effective thinker, a by-product of the original assignment.

My suggestion is that you re-read the Belgariad with a copy of Joseph Campbell's book next to you and make yourself the kind of student professors are looking to reach.

Nice advice YeOldeWolf.
Unfortunately when I revived this thread I missed the fact that he posted this in May and has most likely turned in the assignment already. :-D

hi

ive got an assignment. i have to pick a written text and analyse it.

im gonna do the Belgariad but i have forgotten much of what happened since i read it a few years ago. one main part of the assignment is how the quest (orb and defeating Torak) in the series relates to the quest cycle by joseph cambell. (type in "The_Hero_with_a_Thousand_Faces" into wiki to get the page then go to contents)

i have to relate all those parts on the page to the series. such as how garion refuses to leave faldors farm and then he accepts the change. and how there are hurdles that stop the party from catching zedar

so i would just like help as already mentioned i have forgotton alot, especially little tid bits. so i am looking for help by those that have a greater memory of the books

so my first question is, when garion slays torak, how does he refuse to return to riva? if he refuses at all???

i will have more as i continue to do more of the work

thx

He doesn't refuse to go back to Riva....he can't. He returns to Riva and becomes king.

There's a second series with these characters, you know....

He returns to Faldor's Farm before he's declared king of Riva.

His major refusal in the battle with Torak is the refusal of everyone's love for Torak. Torak tried to decieve Belgarion into loving him. When that didn't work, he tried to force Polgara to love him (which may have worked except Belgarion reminded Polgara of Durnik).