Just discovered Tim Powers

owl

I have only recently discovered Tim Powers when I picked up a copy of Three Days To Never

I was captivated, its a real page turner and I love the supernatural aspect put in such a way that it seems so natural.

Can someone let me know which other books of his are worth a read?

Can someone let me know which other books of his are worth a read?

I've read all his Fantasy novels, and while there is inevitably a bit of variation in quality between books I'd say they are all worth reading. "The Anubis Gates", "Declare", "On Stranger Tides" and "Last Call" are particularly good IMO.

I've only read The Anubis Gates so far but I enjoyed it very much. I've heard good things about most of his books. In particular I'd like to read On Stranger Tides as I've heard such good things about it, but have yet to find it at a used book store and alas my library doesn't carry it.

If you read Last Call, be sure to find the other two books in the trilogy, Expiration Date and Earthquake Weather. When you read Expiration Date, it won't really feel like a sequel, but then Earthquake Weather makes it clear that everything in the first two books really are tied together.

Let me also repeat the recommendation of Declare. That was the first Powers book I read, and it sent me off in search of more of his work.

I'm still looking for some of his other work (Anubis Gates, On Stranger Tides, for example), as my library system hasn't gotten with the program as far as carrying his books goes.

If you read Last Call, be sure to find the other two books in the trilogy, Expiration Date and Earthquake Weather. When you read Expiration Date, it won't really feel like a sequel, but then Earthquake Weather makes it clear that everything in the first two books really are tied together.

I didn't think the other two books in the trilogy were as good as Last Call. I also didn't find the attempts in "Earthquake Weather" to tie in the two different plotlines from Last Call and Expiration Date particularly convincing. They're still entertaining books, but not Powers at his best IMO.

I think "On Stranger Tides" might be out of print at the moment (it certainly was when I was looking for a copy) which might make it unlikely that libraries will be able to get it. Second-hand bookshops or e-bay or Amazon are probably the best bets for finding it.

I didn't think the other two books in the trilogy were as good as Last Call. I also didn't find the attempts in "Earthquake Weather" to tie in the two different plotlines from Last Call and Expiration Date particularly convincing. They're still entertaining books, but not Powers at his best IMO.

I actually think that the middle book, Expiration Date, is my favorite of the three, although I like them all a great deal. And I suppose I think that the blending of the first two in Earthquake Weather worked a little better than you think it did. And, while I really liked Three Days to Never, I didn't really think it was as good as any of the three books in the trilogy.

Wouldn't it be a dull world if everyone agreed all the time? ;)