17 Important Things I've Learned About Writing and Publishing

Very interesting. Thanks for resurrecting this old thread, Steve. And thanks for writing it in the first place, Teresa.

Since I'll be haunting benign spots for a while I stopped here. This is instructive thanks. And at the risk of offending- having finished recently the Goblin Moon I wanted to mention I also thoroughly enjoyed it. Here's the uneasy part - while I read, it reminded me of Charles Dickens, Alexander Dumas, and Tolkien rolled together. I hope that doesn't offend I think its good company but that's just me.

I do view you as a highly qualified source in this field.

Teresa;

Thank you for this.

I know this will seem a terrible imposition but could you (or anyone else for that matter) elaborate any on 9 and 10? I've found what you have already written on this immensely helpful, some of it enabling me to revive works I've had stalled for years and can't help but feel that some more specific suggestions might help to open floodgates I've felt closed for my entire life.

Mind, the rest is truly invaluable as well, but sometimes something seems to point straight to the heart of one's difficulties in a field of endeavor and offers hope in areas where one has nearly given up.

Excellent advise, and good to read this now I'm writing again.

Time for me to read up a little more on passive sentences - they're already on my hit list, but I'm not sure I understand the rules yet, so maybe time to learn sooner rather than later. :)

Hi, Joan. There is a bit more on the those subjects in two blog posts I wrote http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/blogs/teresa-edgerton/index2.html, the article on revisions, Parts 1 and 2.

Brian, passive sentences can be passive voice, or two much use of the verb "to be," or anytime where the subject (or what should be the subject) of a sentence just lies there and does nothing or has things done to it, rather than doing the doing itself.

Of course there are many times when you may want things just to be and not to do, for instance in descriptions, but when something happens, active verbs tend to be more desirable.

Thank you so much for posting this. I'll be taking a lot of mental pointers away with me :)

Wow, what an amazing thread. I can't believe it's taken me this long to find it :D

Cheers Teresa

Great read. Was quite inspiring honestly. Don't know where I fall from all those points as I've gone the "Self Published" route, but I can only move forward.

Incredible and thorough words from wisdom. My experience of people who are serious about their writing (and I think most writers on Chrons are) do not want any feedback or appraisal or advice that is sugar-coated, as that dilutes its usefulness manifold.

Honesty and thoroughness typify the best advice, and this is both. Highly useful. Thanks @Teresa Edgerton

Boy, I thought the subjunctive mood was a muddy puddle, #8, the passive voice, is a bloody tar pit. Just checked it out at the Writing Center and my head's spinning like it did when, as a teenager, I recklessly guzzled my first six-pack!:sick:

I've only just read this. Thank you Teresa. Its brilliant! :)

I originally wrote this for my sub-forum several years ago, just to give my thoughts on various things, and I was surprised (and flattered) when Brian decided to move it to its current place of prominence. I am glad that so many people are finding it helpful. Thank you all.

Let me add my thanks for this. I found it both instructional, inspirational and reassuring. I thought I was going a bit crazy and becoming obsessed when I found myself thinking constantly about my characters and their interactions - imagining them doing boring, everyday mundane things that have no real place in the story: getting ready on a morning, going to the shops, seeing a movie, etc. I'm glad this is a process that I'm supposed to let my subconscious go through!
(Or maybe I am a bit crazy and obsessed...?)

A lot of the points ring so true.

Again, many thanks for putting this down. I will be referring to it many times and think everyone that is starting out should come and read this.

Back