Post count

Michael01

Coven of the Worm
The people who love you are worth more than gold.
Anyone else notice that the post counts don't seem to increase anymore? I've even seen a few users who had several posts but their count reads "0." And I've just made 2 posts but my count stayed at 98. Is this a temporary thing? Or is it just happening on my end? In any case, it's weird.

EDIT: Okay, it just made a liar out of me. Now it says 99!

Rane Longfox

Red Rane
Yep yep. And I'll bet you there are at least 5 topics on that exact subject on the feedback board;)

Posts in some boards don't count towards post-count, to discourage spamming. Works quite well.

pyan

Great Old One
Staff member
Supporter
This really needs a sticky note.:p
Posts in The Lounge, Birthdays, Playrooms, Humour and Introductions definitely don't count toward PC. All posts in the main SF/F sections in the upper part of the main index do,as do the Discussion Boards at the bottom of the menu.As Rane says, it does a good job of keeping out the people that are only interested in PC. :)

Green

Sick and Tired
Am I right in thinking that the Music board doesn't count towards posts? Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't want to post to find out.

If so, I think that should be changed. There's a lot of spam on there (now playing, etc), but also some interesting threads too. I guess it's a judgement call, but music is a topic that many people take seriously, and make serious/interesting posts about.

Any chance of getting a definitive list of what counts and what doesn't? I'm not fussed about my post count, but the argumentative swine in me would like to know why X counts and Y doesn't.

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Books & Writing,
Film & TV,
Science Fiction & Fantasy

are the sections where posts are actually counted, the following are not:

General
Discussion

It used to be easier to tell because originally all of the book and film sections used to be under a single banner of Science Fiction and Fantasy.

However, the aim isn't to punish people for any reason - simply emphasise the point that we're primarily a SFF forum that also has wider board interests.

Brian G Turner

Fantasist & Futurist
Staff member
Supporter
Okay, take it as a rule of thumb, but with exceptions, then. :)

To be honest, there are so many different configuration settings for chronicles that it can be a little difficult to keep track of them all. So if 1 or 2 boards are excepted, I figure it's not a problem? :)

Full-Iron

Science fiction fantasy
I also have a bug where my post count doesn't update even though I've posted around 40+ : /

Menion

ze Spaniard!
"And it was in that moment that their hearts withi
Full-Iron, you should read above. I have noticed you posted afew times in introductions. They don't contribute to your post count.
Posts in The Lounge, Birthdays, Playrooms, Humour and Introductions definitely don't count toward PC. All posts in the main SF/F sections in the upper part of the main index do,as do the Discussion Boards at the bottom of the menu.

Hex

Write, monkey, write
it does a good job of keeping out the people that are only interested in PC. :)
Just wondering, but why would someone want to increase their post count?

I get why you'd want to increase it to 30, because then you can post things to be critiqued (if you're brave enough) but would you want to do more after that?

Teresa Edgerton

Goblin Princess
Staff member
Supporter
Most of the time people do that so they can post links, especially if posting a link is why they're here in the first place.

I believe there was a time when a few people did it as an ego thing, but I don't think that anyone does that now.

Dave

Custom title not found
Staff member
Supporter
If you encourage people to post more then by the time they have a few hundred posts visiting Chronicles becomes a regular habit and they are likely to stay longer.

Encouraging them to post in the SF areas leads to more thoughtful and interesting discussions.

The post limit on hyperlinks is only to discourage spammers, unfortunately it also inconveniences everyone else.

The post limit on critiques is there because critiquing involves other members in a great deal of time and work. We want it to be a benefit enjoyed by our long-standing established members who deserve it by way of the critiques and help they have already given to other members themselves. We want to encourage people giving to Chronicles not just taking what they can. Up to now this has been a successful strategy.

Last edited:

Hex

Write, monkey, write
Yes, I completely understand the limit on critiques. It was simply that I didn't see why one would want to increase one's post count after 30.

Now I have heard of the "1000 post-club", of course, I understand. Thank you for explaining.

Karn Maeshalanadae

I'm a pineapple
Oh, yes, the 1000 post club.

Post count past 30, well, I think the mods and staff determined that such an amount of quality posts is deemed sufficient time for new members to become fully immersed into the forum and want to stay and have their say on this matter or that.

Average
I don't have much to contributeto the threads that count towards pc, and honestly I could care less about pc, but I need 10 post to look at the art on this site, soooo............. Here's a smilie :( to convey my emotional state at this point in time.