Master Ash

Wok the One Eyed

forgives everyone
hi, er spoilers herein and all that.

I don’t have my books with me, so can’t quote exactly but when Severian is sent by the Pelerines to bring Master Ash to safety, Master Ash says that if he doesn’t exist in Severian’s future, then he may end up not existing at all if taken into a past were he didn’t previously exist.

As he was on Urth as an observer, it is reasonable to assume that Master Ash is at worst a neutral, and at the very least a friendly ally, as the Pelerines had obvious prior knowledge of him, his house and his purpose. Severian’s instructions however are quite clear, Master Ash must be brought by any means necessary. Sending Severian on this mission is tantamount to assassination IMO.

Why would the Pelerines (a non-military organisation) order this elimination?

Because, the Pelerines simply think of him as a simple Hermit. I am sure that they have no idea about his back story, or if they do it is couched in religious terms (he talks to Severian in terms of science because that is Severian's background and he talks to the Pelerines using religious imagery because that is their background). I am sure that they thought that his not being able to leave was for spiritual reasons and not that he literally could not.