Yet another ' need a fantasy series suggestion' thread

elvet

Easily amused
Supporter
It's been a while since I've read an exceptional fantasy series. Though I've done a lot aof reading, I really haven't come across something that I can sink my teeth into and can't wait to get home to read
smiley.gif
Since everyone has different tastes, here's what I've liked and am looking for:
I love Tolkien, Donaldson, Guy Gavriel Kay, Tad Williams, Robin Hobb, and Michelle West. I'm not so keen on Celia Dart Thornton, David Eddings, Sara Douglass.
I want something that is complete (all books released), full of detail, epic and has multiple characters/viewpoints.
I've got a few books on my shelve that may do, but am open to other suggestions. Here's what I have:
King's Dragon by Kate Elliot (Crown of Stars)
The Darkness that Comes Before By Bakker (Prince of Nothing)
Sorcery Rising by Jude Fisher (Fool's Gold)
The Gunslinger by Stephen King (Dark Tower)
Magician's Apprentice by Feist
Gardens of the Moon by Erickson
Clothar the Frank by Jack Whyte

READ ERIKSON! The series isn't finished yet (book 7 of 10 is being released in the UK next month), but it's so damn good!

Or if that doesn't appeal, try Kate Elliott. I've only read King's Dragon so far, and it has potential. I've been promised that some of the bad bits get better though:)

Steven Erikson and George Martin fit all your criteria except for being a complete series.

Bakker is good, but not as good as Erikson/Martin.

King's Dark Tower series is epic, but it's not really the same kind of fantasy.

Feist's Magician is tired teenie bopper fantasy.

Haven't read any other books you have lined up, but I'd bet all I have on Erikson and George Martin's stuff being higher caliber when compared to 99% of fantasy authors out there.

A warning re: Clothar the Frank

Jack Whyte is not a Fantasy author, his work is actually Historical Fiction - even though you'll find them in the Sci-Fi / Fantasy sections of most bookstores. But they are quite excellent.

Here is what I had to say about his work on another book-related website:

If you like Arthurian fiction then I'd recommend Jack Whyte's series (known as "A Dream of Eagles" in Canada, and "The Camulod Chronicles" elsewhere) consisting of:

1. The Skystone
2. The Singing Sword
3. The Eagles' Brood
4. The Saxon Shore
5. The Sorcerer: The Fort at River's Bend (aka. The Fort at River's Bend)
6. The Sorcerer: Metamorphosis (aka. The Sorcerer)

There's also a parallel and companion volume called "Uther" which takes place during the same time period as "The Eagles' Brood" but tells it from a different perspective. The series is narrative, and "Uther" is told in the third person. There were things that the narrative character in "The Eagles' Brood" wasn't privy to, that are cleared up in "Uther".

The Sorcerer: Metamorphosis culminates in the crowning of Arthur as High King of Britannia.

There's also a follow-up miniseries called "The Golden Eagle". It consists of:

1. Clothar the Frank (aka. The Lance Thrower)
2. The Eagle

This series is narrated by the Lancelot equivalent, and tells of the life of Arthur as King.

Jack has started a trilogy about the Templar Knights now. The first book in the trilogy, "Knights of the Black and White", was published last year, and the second book is due out this summer.

But in my opinion, "A Dream of Eagles" is his best work, and one of THE best Arthurian series ever written.
And this is what one of my fellow forumites had to say about my post there:

I agree, these books are brilliant! Very smart writing combined with clever imagination it's a treat to venture into the time period and imagine the mix of the Legend and the Reality of the time.
I remember pressuring the poor gal at the bookstore to find if the the next or newest books was available because I wanted to read the most recent as soon as possible.
I would highly recommend his work to anyone! :)

I would recommend David Gemmell's Rigante books. Heroic fantasy at its finest. They are a good way to see if you like DG.

If you want real characters,good prose,amazing battles,emotion etc