Long Walk - production feasible

PTeppic

Reetou Diplomatic Corp
It's twenty years since I read "The Bachman Books" but as a long-time hiker I've always had a soft spot for "The Long Walk".

And having recently bought a personal fitness GPS unit I've realised the technology is capable of supporting a real-life competition. Okay, the public (nor competitors) would stand being shot for failing, but all the reality shows we do have make it clear that audiences are quite happy with watching the struggles and failures as much as the successes of TV competitions.

So what do people think - is the world ready for a live-action Long Walk contest?

So what do people think - is the world ready for a live-action Long Walk contest?

No, for the simple reason that no insurer would touch it in terms of liability coverage. I realize some of the sillier reality TV shows have dangerous moments, but here you're going to be offering some sort of prize for walking until you drop. Way too dangerous.

Don't see why it wouldn't work. Remember that show a couple of years back where contestants had to stay awake as long as possible? Half the fun is listening to the do gooders telling you how bad it is for you. No S**t Sherlock.
You can't beat seeing peoples perserverance and sheer mind numbing will power as their competative mind set digs in.

only a few months ago someone died after competing in a touch the car competition held by a radio station, endurance contests like these are held in a bad light by the media at the moment so I don't think it would work. What about a nice game of Battle Royale instead:rolleyes:

Personally, it would make me happy if there was never, ever again another reality-type show. Yes, I too have fallen into the occasionaly reality show trap - I'm an American Idol fan - but it's a little sickening how much people are enjoying watching the real-life failures of others. Some of the newer shows out there don't seem much different to me than prostitution - What's up with that? Are we completely turning into a Jerry Springer show society?

I'm currently reading The Long Walk. Really, it is no more than the Dance Marathons (also called Walkathons, bunion derbies, and corn and callus carnivals) of the 1920s and 1930s. Couples danced almost non-stop for hundreds of hours (sometimes as long as a month or two), competing for prize money. Well, okay, they didn't get shot in the head when they stopped!

Could they be put on TV today? No way! The no-win-no-fee liable lawyers would have a field day. I remember the fiasco following the death of the man on a bungee during the BBC show, The Late Late Breakfast Show in 1986. Following that live audience stunts with any kind of danger were effectively banned.

I'm reading The long walk right now for the first time, and I love it! The way he puts you inside Garraty's head while bringing to life the other few boys in his little "group" is amazing. Some really good storytelling from a very young Stephen King.

When Hollywood gets over the stigma of shooting children (based on their failures), then they'll make a movie out of it.