The Duma Key

HoopyFrood

It's me! Hurrah!
Probably a little early for this, as I don't think the book is due to be released until 2008, perhaps, but I thought I'd just let people know about it. To a King fan like myself, it's always great to hear that he's still churning out the novels!

Anyway, it's called The Duma Key. There's not much to go on yet, apart from what King has mentioned in an interview:

In an interview with Lilja's Library, King said:

"...it’s about a construction worker who is involved in a terrible accident. He lives in the northern part of the United States, Minnesota, and he’s hurt very badly and loses an arm, sustains head injuries and is not expected to live but he does and he comes out of a coma and because of the head injuries he has uncontrollable rages and memory lapses. It’s very difficult and his wife divorces him so he decides he’s going to move to Florida but he’s also thinking about suicide just because of his pain and because he doesn’t like being angry all the time and this psychiatrist kind of talks him out of it and one of the things he says is, “Is there anything that you do that you can use as a kind of buffer against this depression? Is there any kind of new life for you besides working on buildings?” and this guy says, “I used to draw, I used to paint a little bit” and the guy says, “Well, try that” and he discovers that, after this injury, that he is really a very talented painter and he moves to Florida and he starts to paint these pictures and then strange things start to happen with the pictures. They have this power so that sometimes if he paints things into the world they kind of appear and if he paints things out they disappear, including people. And there is something going on, on this island, this Duma Key that is actually amping that talent up and making it stronger because there is something wrong there. That’s the real basis of the story."

(Taken from the Wikipedia article: Duma Key - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

Sounds quite interesting. Also, I couldn't help noticing that the idea of painting and drawing things that become real sounds quite similar to Patrick's ability in The Dark Tower. But who knows...as I say, it's early days for this novel. But while finding out about the new Bachman novel, I stumbled across news of this, so I thought I'd share :)

Probably a little early for this, as I don't think the book is due to be released until 2008, perhaps, but I thought I'd just let people know about it. To a King fan like myself, it's always great to hear that he's still churning out the novels!

Anyway, it's called The Duma Key. There's not much to go on yet, apart from what King has mentioned in an interview:

In an interview with Lilja's Library, King said:

"...it’s about a construction worker who is involved in a terrible accident. He lives in the northern part of the United States, Minnesota, and he’s hurt very badly and loses an arm, sustains head injuries and is not expected to live but he does and he comes out of a coma and because of the head injuries he has uncontrollable rages and memory lapses. It’s very difficult and his wife divorces him so he decides he’s going to move to Florida but he’s also thinking about suicide just because of his pain and because he doesn’t like being angry all the time and this psychiatrist kind of talks him out of it and one of the things he says is, “Is there anything that you do that you can use as a kind of buffer against this depression? Is there any kind of new life for you besides working on buildings?” and this guy says, “I used to draw, I used to paint a little bit” and the guy says, “Well, try that” and he discovers that, after this injury, that he is really a very talented painter and he moves to Florida and he starts to paint these pictures and then strange things start to happen with the pictures. They have this power so that sometimes if he paints things into the world they kind of appear and if he paints things out they disappear, including people. And there is something going on, on this island, this Duma Key that is actually amping that talent up and making it stronger because there is something wrong there. That’s the real basis of the story."

(Taken from the Wikipedia article: Duma Key - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

Sounds quite interesting. Also, I couldn't help noticing that the idea of painting and drawing things that become real sounds quite similar to Patrick's ability in The Dark Tower. But who knows...as I say, it's early days for this novel. But while finding out about the new Bachman novel, I stumbled across news of this, so I thought I'd share :)

Stephen King also watches Lost. I think a bit of influence there might be sneaking in, as he mentioned an island which is enchancing talents and changing people.

Wasn't Patrick also from Insomnia? Or another novel?

Yes, he was in Insomnia, as a child of only about five. Insomnia is probably the book that linked to the Dark Tower series the most (although almost all of his books are hinted at or play some part in the Dark Tower!) because of the appearance of the Crimson King, the mention of the Tower and also, near the end, Patrick draws a picture of Roland.

Yes, he was in Insomnia, as a child of only about five. Insomnia is probably the book that linked to the Dark Tower series the most (although almost all of his books are hinted at or play some part in the Dark Tower!) because of the appearance of the Crimson King, the mention of the Tower and also, near the end, Patrick draws a picture of Roland.

I'm going to have to buy Insomnia again. I had it in paperback several years ago, but it was lost.

Well, after mentioning it waaaaay back in the day, this book has finally been released (in America I think it's already out, at least, and is available in the UK from tomorrow, I believe). Methinks I shall have to use a book token I have hidden away somewhere and buy it immediately -- all new Stephen King books are purchased in hardback, I just can't wait that long! So anyone bought it/going to buy it, read it/going to read it?

I will be buying it tomorrow and I have cleared my reading schedule.

Next up Duma Key

Has anybody read this book yet? It's on my to buy list, but if it's not top-notch I won't get it 'till it comes out as a paperback.

I'm planning to get it this weekend, hopefully. Seeing as things aren't going to be so mad in the next couple of weeks, I'll probably get it read within a few days. And, as with all King books, I'll probably be on here and being vocal about it as usual!

I just bought my copy at Waterstone's and it came with a limited edition key ring which is really cool!

I've decided to wait on this one. I didn't like Lisey's Story at all, and I have a lot to read right now. I'll probably wait for the MM, or for Half Price books to clear out remainders on the HB.

I've decided to wait on this one. I didn't like Lisey's Story at all, and I have a lot to read right now. I'll probably wait for the MM, or for Half Price books to clear out remainders on the HB.

I really enjoyed Lisey's Story. It was the most literary work King has ever done, in my opinion, and his excellent characterization skills were in top form. It wasn't at all what I expected, but was good, and I liked it a heckuva lot better than Cell. Sorry for the threadjack. That's a habbit I really need to break.

It's quite all right, as thread maker, I'll allow it :D

I really quite liked Cell, I think because zombies are awesome and the phone crazies in Cell were zombies with attitude -- plus it seemed like a return to gory horror by King. Lisey's Story took a while to get into, but it certainly was emotional stuff and a good read. And now a new release, woop woop, I love it when a new King book comes out. Through hook or crook (or Waterstones or Amazon, I should say!) I shall buy Duma Key within the next couple of days.

Cell is damn brilliant. It's concise, told with concrete language, and through brevity King keeps the plot rolling while not sacrificing his amazing attention to character. Next to the Dark Tower stuff, it's my favorite King book. Cell is a one-two punch of memorable characters in dramatic situations and hard hitting horror. I think it is a perfect book in that it is perfectly paced and plotted and accomplishes everything a good story should.

With Lisey's Story, I feel as though King forgot the plot, and when you don't have a good plot, you better have some damn interesting ideas. I thought it lacked both. The characters weren't even interesting. It felt as if King were coasting on a half-baked premise with a half-baked main character floundering around in an uninteresting world.

I am keeping my expectations low for Duma Key, but the idea sounds interesting. I am really glad that King is still writing and I do look forward to checking this one out.

I like the writing, but I don't like how smart he made the zombies. That really turns me off in zombie fiction. I like dumb, mindless zombies that just kill-kill-kill. A smart zombie isn't much of a zombie, in my opinion. That's what I didn't like Cell.

As for Lisey's Story, I really think that that is the best characterizing that King has ever done.

Doesn't Duma Key have twins holding hands or something? This release kind of snuck up on me so I'm rather ignorant. Sorry.

But they weren't zombies. They're minds were just corrupted by a strange alien frequency. They were just maniacs, if anything. It was never even suggested that they were zombies. Mindless, blood-thirsty killers is what they were.

It seems strange to not like something because it didn't fit into a pre-defined definition you had, especially when the term being defined was never a part of the story. ;)

Sorry - I continued the threadjack, my bad.

I guess we should go to the Cell thread! :)

Yes, most definitely not zombies -- but they do remind me of them -- but people with everything wiped but the most basic of functions...and a little extra mental power to add to the fun (which seemed to be the reason behind the pulse. I did like that idea, wiping the human brain like a computer to restore the most basic but extraordinary functions). They had attitude and that's what I liked about them. Although they were evil s.o.bs as well, of course!

Anyway, to return to the topic (derailing my own thread, for shame :rolleyes: ) I purchased Duma Key today. It sits next to me right now, crying to be read. I can't ignore the poor thing...:D

I bought it but haven't read it yet.

Also, I guess the Cell points are all true, I just like Lisey's Story yet.

Beware, thar be spoilers here...

I haven't had much time so I haven't been able to read a great deal of the book yet. That little bit that I have, I've enjoyed. I've just paused at the part where, after the dog has been killed by the car and he's found he's absolutely starving. I found the idea that when he went into a kind of dream state while holding the dog, he felt like he had two arms very cool. As if there's a phantom arm there and it's trying to kill! (Like where he throttled his wife without remembering he'd done so, makes me wonder if he did it with two arms rather than just one, seeing it's been said that he wouldn't have enough strength in just his left, and could be the "other thing" that causes his wife to leave him). This is all complete guesswork, of course, I could be wandering away down a completely random path...

I also came across a passage that for the first time since reading The Shining managed to break out the goosebumps (it's very rare that happens...) The dream with the anger doll turning into a real child and staring at him with blank eyes and talking about the frog with teef. Rrr...very strange...Dolls and puppets in horror stories are just damned creepy...

Anyway, just a few things that have popped into my head while reading the very beginning of it. Much looking forward to carrying on with the book when I manage to get the time...