The Rune of Unmaking: A DARK SACRIFICE -- FIRST REVIEW!!! (pg 3)

Thank you, Pyar. I haven't had much reaction to the book yet, so your kind words are particularly gratifying.

And you can expect to learn more about those two characters in the next book, where much of the past is revealed and things only hinted at are brought to light.

Hi Teresa,
I got your newest book for Christmas and really liked it. It has already been passed on to my parents who are also great fans of yours.
As I am German there were some unintentional comic moments in the reading, these pseudo-German names like "Reichünterwelt". It could just work without the umlaut. Umlauts make a big difference. The most known example of this are the two adjective "schwül" and "schwul", the former relating to opressingly humid weather, the latter to male homosexuals. Please view this criticism as a compliment, your book was otherwise so good a read that I noticed this minor detail. And Germans tend to be blunt ;)
Now I anticipate the release of Goblin Moon.
Have a good year 2008!
Maria

Thanks, Maria. Feedback is always welcome (especially when it comes with compliments). The umlaut was there to show that it wasn't really supposed to be German -- just as if I had taken an English name and spelled it some strange way or otherwise mangled it a bit to make it look more otherwordly -- but I guess it doesn't always come across that way when one does these things with languages other than one's own. It's more likely to look like a mistake.

But I did even worse things to Finnish and some of the Scandinavian languages, I promise you!

Hi Teresa,
I am glad you are not offended. I just wanted to let you know the comic effect. Next time you know that some readers might enjoy a good laugh at this point :)
Here we have the first snow of this winter.

Hi Teresa,

Absolutely love your books, I mean to the point where I visited nearly all the public libraries in San Francisco in the late 90s trying to find The Gnome's Engine and scoured used book stores having gotten hooked/entranced with your Child of Saturn series while in high school. I was thrilled to see you had a new book last year (The Hidden Stars) and patiently waited until I accomplished something to read it (a couple chapters of my dissertation if I recall). Minor breakdown when I realized I'd have to wait a year for the next installment (but I had all your other books as consolation). This time, I waited until I finished teaching my first college semester before reading A Dark Sacrifice to enjoy the thrill of a new book by one of my favorite authors, un-interrupted, guilt free. So good. Exquisite agonies to know it'll be a while until the next book, but I love re-reading all your passages! I wish I had the fiery passion of your characters! Congratulations on another beautiful addition!

Well, thank you very much! Just the kind of encouragement I needed on what has been -- up until now -- a gloomy sort of day.

And welcome to the Chronicles.

I'm all for pick me ups on gloomy days, so bravo once again. As I'm re-reading (for like the 5th time? I'm avoiding another pass at my own draft of something), I recalled some questions I had about the emotions of Prince Ruan and Lord Skelbrooke as viewed through the lens of the heroines.

After the dark walk through the dwarven tunnel, Prince Ruan relinquishes Sinderian's hand and she catches the "grim set of his jaw, the frown between his eyes." She interprets this as his disturbance from that walk, but I was reminded of a time when Lord Skelbrooke had a tiny frown and a pained look (? book not with me) after he mentioned to Sarah that he had lost the Duchess's favor (hence not accompanying them all to visit the Duke). Sera interprets that as alarm over losing his (presumed) mistress's favor. In both instances, I thought Prince Ruan's and Lord Skelbrooke's reactions had more to do with their immediate interaction with their ladies. That is, Prince Ruan may have been upset at the stresses caused to Sinderian (or having to let go of her hand and her obvious relief at the termination of that contact?) and Francis in losing a chance to protect Sarah now that the Duchess had some interest in her (or inadvertently causing Sera to believe a closer connection existed between him and the Gracious Lady)? Obviously, I'm over-thinking, I'm a sucker for romance, and I'll now go back to work.

Yes, with Francis Skelbrooke the inner motivations are just about exactly as you've described them.

With Ruan, it's a bit more complex. With part of his mind he's naturally thinking about Sindérian and the potential dangers of their situation, but I was also preparing the way for something quite different and unrelated that becomes rather important in the third book. You have very cleverly picked up on a clue that's given as a sort of throw away hint in passing, but will become more explicit later.

Ooh, thanks for the hints of things to come. (Btw, sorry for the misspells of Sera's name! I just taught a course with 3 Sara(h)s and various K/Catherines & K/Caitlins). While re-reading The Work of the Sun, it struck me how Ceilyn's reluctance to having Fflergant and Tryffin join their quest (but I loved the humor of their bristling interactions!) mirrored my own initial feelings about Kivik and Skerry as interlopers. I'd just gotten used to them around and off they go for Winloki. I wonder about them. And Cuillioc.

I think I recall reading on a thread that this world is the same as that for Goblin Moon, only millennia earlier. So the Panterran empire, with its more advanced mechanisms, falls in between? Are the trolls of that age a result of working with black magic like the Furiadhin engage in?

Thank you very much, Michael!

Daphling, yes, those events come ... very roughly ... midway between the two series. (Panterra being Thäerie more than a thousand years later, and Evanthum being Phaôrax.)

My original idea was that there would be a closer relationship between the Furiádhin and the Trolls, but I eventually realized that wouldn't work at all. But the Trolls do owe their origins to the same principle that certain kinds of magic change you in strange and terrible ways. There will be some hints as to those origins in the new book (for those who are looking).

Wow, this is my first post, and I'm rather shy and excited. Hi Ms. Teresa Edgerton!! Over the summer I was browsing through Barnes and Nobles, looking for a fantasy book, couldn't find one soothing enough until I saw "The Hidden Stars." Liked the cover, name and tittle, and what it claimed to be about. So I got it. Oh it is beautiful, well-written and heart warming!! The way you describe battle scenes blew my mind, I cold picture everything, felt like I was there. And I just finished A Dark Sacrifice yesterday! The ending I was gasping, hoping, PRAYING Sinderian would not die or remain dead. i have fallen in love with her lol. Her attitude, thoughts about herself and her own strengths, and how she deals with situations make her very real to me. And oh what power she has! Among my second favorite character, it is Prince Cuillioc. There's something about him that's different than the other Dark forces. He seems rather . . . gentle, and kind. I do hope he escapes from Lord Vaz. And then there's Goddess Ouriana. She brings CHILLS to my spine EVERYTIME she's in a chapter. For a bit I was wondering how strong she truly was, since she caused no real destruction, UNTIL chapter 28! Ok, I'm convinced she is one lady you do not mess with lol. And I LOVE female villians.

Sorry if it seems I'm babbling, just excited to speak to you. You have inspired my story, a story I've been working on for almost 8 years lol. You've made me look better into my detail, characters etc. I am a nobody writer, never went to school for it, just doing it for fun and I'm self publishing it hopefully in the fall. But you have definitely put me back on track from lagging away.

I can't wait until your third book! Please Ruan, hurry with Sinderian. Don't let her die! :)

]Welcome Enchy (can I call you Enchy, Enchanted fire?). Nice to see you here, I doubt many writers went to school for it.;)

Anyway, I got my copy of 'ADS' a couple of days ago (has been lying in the shop for ages, before I got there to pick up my ordering:eek:). I haven't really gotten the time yet to read beyond the spoiler I had read before, but I'm taking it to Japan with me, so I guess I'll be finished by the time I get back.

The book looks cool! While the paperback of 'THS' was small and handy, this one is bigger and cooler.:p (I probably have different versions, I have no idea)

(anyway just thought to hop in. In two days, I'm off to Japan for a couple of months)

Thank you, Enchanted Fire. (And no need to feel shy!)

I'm so glad you're enjoying the series, and that you love Sindérian so much. In the beginning, she wasn't supposed to claim quite so much of the story for herself, but, well ... with typical determination she insisted on having it her way.

Cullioc's role, in part, is to show that it isn't only a struggle between good and evil, but a struggle that each character holds with his or her own conscience, and that good men may sometimes serve bad causes -- especially, as in his case, when they're brought up to believe in them.

As for going to school to become a writer, scalem is quite right. Most of the writers I know are self-taught. Of course there are books on writing, and writers groups, and all sorts of resources to help you along the way, but I firmly believe there are some aspects of writing that no one can teach you, you have to learn them -- the hard way -- for yourself. But after eight years, I suspect you already know that.

Anyway, welcome to Chronicles.

Hi Scalem X. Sure you can call me Enchy, lol, (sounds funny :) ) I don't mind.

Hi Teresa. Yes, I have figured out some things on my own regarding writing. I know what you mean. I also have many books about writing novels as well. Over the years many things in my story changed, evolved, etc. Lol, I've had this story in my head in it's most raw of forms since November 2001. There's three books to it, all together ranging to about 54 chapters. It's funny, last year I thought I was finished with it and let another writer (romance) read it who never read any fantasy. The next day she was gripping at me astounished, wondering how I came up with my world. It was a great feeling. But then I let a few others read it who didn't care for it. Around that time was when I got "The Hidden Stars" and after reading it I felt like a slave at Ouriana's feet. Because until then I hadn't read another book in so long a time, I think the last was "The Dark is Rising" by Susan Cooper. So I was just AMAZED with your world, the detail, the female characters, etc. The Hidden Stars put me back into gear with my own story. Before it seemed more like an outline, however now it has flesh.

Few books bring tears to my eyes. "Wild Seed" did and "A Dark Sacrifice" did as well. The part when Sinderian wept while trying to heal poor Kivik in Chapter 27. I just kept thinking how she puts herself down at times, yet has such inner strength and is so warm-hearted. And her power worked, her love and care for another individual prevailed. So it moved me. I also enjoy her little "battles" she often has with Prince Ruan ;p

Ok I guess i said enough for tonight. Very sleepy.

The part when Sinderian wept while trying to heal poor Kivik in Chapter 27. I just kept thinking how she puts herself down at times, yet has such inner strength and is so warm-hearted. And her power worked, her love and care for another individual prevailed. So it moved me.

That was one scene where I wanted to remind readers that being an empath and a healer takes it's toll ... that with the war dragging on and on, and everything that has happened since she left Leal, Sindérian's always afraid that she won't have enough to give and will fail someone at the critical moment. (After all, she's known other healers who have burned out, and can no longer deal with their own pain, let alone anyone else's.) It's supposed to be a gut-wrenching moment for her when she thinks that she will fail. She only succeeds because her will is growing stronger, even as her hope is fading. So I'm glad you found the scene moving.

I do hope someone would one day make a movie of "The Rune of Unmaking." That would be fantastic! They did it with LOTR and Narnia. Speaking of Narnia Prince Caspian is coming out in May! Yay!! But yes, an accurate movie of your novel would be oh so awesome. I imagine it would be difficult finding actors to play Sinderian, Winloki and especially Ouriana, since they're all suppose to be SO beautiful, at least that's how I imagine them.

Oh by the way, I also wanted to tell you that I figured out, or believed who Maelor was before you revealed his true identity and was overjoyed :)

When I really get into a story I really get into it, so please continue writing, I can't wait until the third!

I finally found A Dark Sacrifice last night but for a very silly reason. On my third trip in the last 2 months to Barnes and Noble, I finally prepared myself by reminding myself that Teresa Edgerton used to be Madeline Howard in the forum. The first 2 trips weren't really planned and I managed to glance through th entire Science Fiction/Fantasy section without out any bells going off. But it's now in m possetion ans officially in my TBR pile.

Well, Steve, you're not the only person the pseudonym thing has temporarily side-tracked. My best friend for more than thirty years was searching through her local bookstore for DS soon after it came out, and couldn't understand why they didn't have it ... until she remembered that she should be looking for Howard, not Edgerton.

Enchantedfire, I've been trying to mentally cast an imaginary movie (such that I'm able to put any mental effort into anything, as sick as I've been this winter) ever since I read your post. I do agree that Ouriána would have to be spectacularly beautiful (since she enhances her looks magically) but for me a satisfying Sindérian would be harder to find. I've always imagined her as striking rather than beautiful, and that her greatest attraction would be her expressiveness rather than any classical regularity of feature.

Of course even for an imaginary movie, I suppose the producers would want someone who really was beautiful. And I haven't been able to think of anyone who has the right combination of beauty and character to match a movie ideal of Sindérian and mine at the same time.

As for Maelor, I did want people to guess his secret before I came right out and identified him, but not too soon. It would be interesting to know how many readers were like you and put the pieces together around the time I hoped you would, how many were actually surprised, and how many had their suspicions from the very beginning.