wun wabbit
Anyone else a fan of the man?

Love all his work.

Chasing Amy
Clerks I+II
Jay & Silent Bob

and especially Dogma.

So

Not really sci fi, but I am a huge fan of kevin smith beyond his movies. Check out his blog and his stand up/speeches. He's a sub-culture icon. Also, the documentary on a four-letter word that I can't say here has some appearances by Kevin, they are freaking hilarious.

I can't say I like all his works, but Dogma was really entertaining. It did not have the what-a-good-thing-religion-is attitude.

Exactly! It pointed out that it is silly to believe some things that are accepted without question by some religions, and at the same time that it is important to believe in something.

Nope - Don't like his humour - Dogma made me laugh a little, but it's not my kinda thing tbh ^_^

Havent really liked anything since Dogma, which was good and Mallrats was silly but fun. I kind of enjoyed Chasing Amy but from memory it was a few people spending WAY to much time being angst ridden about stuff that just doesn't matter, still the scene with Smith's monologue in the Diner was great.

My feelings on Kevin Smith movies are mixed. On the one hand, they are always entertaining, hip, and hilarious. I probably like Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back best because it's a pure comedy. No "message."

On the other hand, many of his movies have some very amateurish qualities. His dialogue is often...what's the word? Contrived, over-written, unnatural, too-clever.

Chasing Amy was cringe-worthy. It should have been a movie about people who write comic books. The love story was melodramatic to the point of silliness.

Dogma is a mixed bag. Again, very entertaining. I especially loved the board room scene with Ben Afleck and Matt Damon. Alan Rickman was great too. But it was also disjointed and cluttered with unnecessary characters.

He also insists on piling all his regular actors, his friends, even his wife, into all his films, whether they belong there or not. It's kind of sad when Jason Mewes comes off as the most authentic "actor" in your cast.

I haven't seen Mallrats or Jersey Girl, so I can't comment there.

Hits and misses. Clerks was hysterical; Dogma...not so much. Although George Carlin's bit was classic ;)