A possible online solution for depression

How about trying to get chronicles registered on the NHS? Infallible cure for overdosing on normality.
'Course we might start getting some visitors who were a bit strange; but would anyone here actually notice?

Great profitable idea considering 1 in 6 Brits are depressed according to the report (isn't it a bit exaggerated?):)!

How about trying to get chronicles registered on the NHS? Infallible cure for overdosing on normality.
'Course we might start getting some visitors who were a bit strange; but would anyone here actually notice?

Are you calling me strange,Mr Penycate?
Are you suggesting anyone visiting this Forum might not be NORMAL??
I'll have you know I won the Dutch Normal Person of the Year Award last year*admittedly,after browbeating the jury*,only I've since then accidentally eaten the award.Bronze tastes awful,by the way.No wonder they dispensed with the Bronze Age.

Well, as a Nederlander, you wouldn't be eligible for Chronicles on prescription - or would you. Do the european community rules covering medical treatment apply in this case?
But you have to agree; though the mental health of our inmates might be - special- we don't have anything like that percentage of depressed.

I'm more worried about the withdrawal effects when the patient is declared "cured"; in general, medical practitioners frown on treatments that leave their patients with a long term addiction.

And bronze isn't good for you; stick to eating brass, zinc is much less damaging than tin. Beter still, win gold next time; you can swallow as much of that as you want.

*ahem* On a more serious note:

Great profitable idea considering 1 in 6 Brits are depressed according to the report (isn't it a bit exaggerated?):)!

I rather doubt it. I think there are several things going on here: As we become more refined in our definition of various mental states, cases that before went undiagnosed, are not being given a classification; more people are actually accepting of mental health care as legitimate than have been before in history; there is a corresponding tendency to "overdiagnose", and to see a hobby-horse where it may not be; and -- because of the increasing complexities and tensions of modern life -- probably more people are genuinely depressed than at any time since we've even had the classification (probably than we've even used the term "melancholia") -- on this I mean percentagewise... add on the fact that the population has grown so much, that increases several of the above factors, I'd expect.

It's funny, but I've come to look at Chronicles as a kind of stress relief - somewhere to leave reality behind for a bit. Maybe forums are more therapeutic - for the people posting, at least - than I thought.:)

I think this would be helpful to people who are going through these and other problems. I have problems going out, for years I wouldn't go out at all, now thankfully I am better but still cannot go out on my own, as I have lost all confidence to do this. I also know what it is like to have depression, and to have someone even on line and just be able to offload would be of an enormous help. I must add that since I have been on Chronicles it has been very good for me. I have been able to get some confidence back just through replying to posts. You're ok, people! Many thanks!

Serin, I'm sorry to hear your problem. Chron really is a great place for people to connect without having to make an effort by going out and meeting people - not to mention the people you meet in a pub may not even talking the same language with you, if you know what I mean. But I still think in your condition it's necessary to get professional help.

I will admit that my first comment was a little facetious (after all, if I don't take me seriously, why should I expect anyone else to) but, if we are actually helping anyone, that's even better.

I think this would be helpful to people who are going through these and other problems. I have problems going out, for years I wouldn't go out at all, now thankfully I am better but still cannot go out on my own, as I have lost all confidence to do this. I also know what it is like to have depression, and to have someone even on line and just be able to offload would be of an enormous help. I must add that since I have been on Chronicles it has been very good for me. I have been able to get some confidence back just through replying to posts. You're ok, people! Many thanks!
Hey,If I can help through this forum,lemme know,OK?

Been there, done that myself Serin! And yes, the Chronicles has been a great help. I know there have been a few people here who have also been helped by belonging to this internet site. I have found a few other sites which you might enjoy...

Hope you continue to enjoy your time with us...

Thank you for the link Talysia...

Thank you Allegra, HSF and Rosemary for all your kind thoughts and helpful suggestions. I will most definitely continue on the Chrons, see I'm even learning the lingo! Those links, Rosemary, sound good to me. Once again, many thanks, folks!:)

I think the therapy online idea is great. In addition to the reasons mentioned in the article, another benefit is people tend to be more honest when they aren't dealing with people face to face. It would allow patients to open up more quickly and to open up more in general. Instead of building rapport with the patient for the first few sessions, you can delve right into what you need to talk about.

For the forum being therapeutic, many people feel a lot better when they can talk about things that bother them. By talking to someone it helps to relieve stress. Also the person you are talking to may be able to give you a solution to your problem that you don't see; because they are outside of the situation and can give you a perspective of the problem that you don't see at the time. I'm not saying that talking to random people or even friends is always the answer, but for little things it really helps out. For bigger issues such as depression, friends are not the answer but a shrink can help out there.