Resistance Is Futile! You Will Answer!

Morning Star

Science fiction fantasy
I love The Borg! They are my favourite element of Star Trek. I remember being so enthralled watching the episode of TNG where Q showed Picard the future of things to come and I loved the Locutus (sp) storyline.

However...I less than loved the movie. I really enjoyed the fight scenes with The Borg, optic lasers in the dark and such...but I hated, really hated the borg queen. To me, she was the epitome of everything that the borg was not. She was chaotic and driven by emotion...sure I guess The Borg need an origin of sorts and a leader...but I preferred the conflux of light and circuitry (as it appeared on screen in communications) that was "The Collective." (Which she claimed to be.)

I did not want to accept the movie as canon, but if I did...I have a question, with the destruction of the queen, did that mean the end of the borg? What happened to them afterwards?

I thought the movie (First Contact) was fantastic... The way the victims of the borg were altered...

How could you not accept the Queen??? There had to be some overriding "source" of the unification of the borg populace...

TNG was too plastic - and then First Contact, I thought WOW!!!

Hey! Don't enforce your morbid attraction of a disembodied Alice Krige upon me! (Hahaha)

Still does not answer my question Jordy, what happened to the Borg after that?

I got a little tired of Star Trek (too much on TV and I'm all Trekked out) but I do love the Borg - probably one of the best baddies ever - even better than the Cybermen in Dr Who :)

On the question of the Borg - I was under the impression (I might have got it from Voyager) that the Borg was a collection of Collectives - and this explained their continued existence after the Queen's demise (the again - maybe I just dreamed it) :)

First Contact felt too much like watching other people play laser tag. The Borg Queen element seemed like a sad pandering to selling sex, as if the story were otherwise too lacking to stand up on it's own. Unfortunately, as with the Next Gen films in general, that might well have been true.

Yah, boo, I'm a critic. :)

I think the whole Queen issue was to do with the Borg being referred to as drones... Therefore looking at the collective as a hive... Bees and ants do a very similar thing - though they tend to kill instead of assimilate...

But I think Brian is right about the pandering to the sex issue... :D

Then it's easy to assume that a new queen/king/overmind could have been created? I like Foxbats theory.

You know what other race I liked? Those big hunter guys, (They were in Voyager...although that episode where they were experiencing a holographic nazi holocaust with them kind of sucked.) They had blue body armor and would wear masks...they hunted that evil species from the other dimension species 1234 or something. I always hated species 1234...felt it was kinda sucky and desperate on the part of the writers.

But then, Voyager is probably the most loathed out of all the treks.

Aw, dude - I'm just eating my breakfast - or at least I was!!! :D

There isn't a certification high enough to deal with that horror... ;)

The Queen worked on many levels sexually - the rubber, the dominatrix feel to her, the power she wields!!!

As for what happened after her death... Well, I would presume that there are several in maturation chambers, to be released when the previous one ceases to be...

MS, you are thinking of the Hirogen Hunters... Amazing how they started out about 8-9feet tall then shrank!!!

And Species 8472 were great... A species that scared the Borg and were immune to them!!! YAY!!!

sorry ms, the most hated series is and always will be ENTERPRISE! and they just don't make baddies like the klingons anymore. the best baddies ever!

I liked First Contact. Of all of the Next Gen movies, it was the best (but true, considering some of those films, being the best MIGHT not be a really hard thing to do).

The Borg Queen was questionable. Yes, she was added for sex appeal. Yes, it did cause some confusion. Fans suddenly learned that the Borg weren't all just one mind, but controled by the Queen. The idea must have caught on, because the character was used again in Voyager.

The Borg were probably the best new villains added to the Star Trek cannon. At the very least, they provided a lot of story ideas.

I've always wanted to see what happened to Hugh and the Borg Individuals. I did start writing a fan fic sequel to First Contact fanfic not long after FC came out, where Picard recieves a distress call from Hugh involving the Romulans and the Borg but gave up halfway through 'cause it was a little pants!

I've largely been "trekked out" for a very, very long time; but I still retain a certain sentimental (though distant) fondness for the show. I will say that I thought "The Best of Both Worlds" story, which introduced the Borg, as I recall, seemed truly terrifying (it was a season finale/cliffhanger and next season opener, wasn't it? -- it's been a while). I liked the Locutus storyline, and was rather disappointed that they did so little with it afterward -- that final scene in Picard's quaters, when he's looking out, I picked up a hint that there were traces of the Borg still in him and, while they gave some slight lip service to it later in the series, I felt that this could have had great potential for character conflict, and was another ball that was dropped. What happened to the Borg as things went on just became too saccharine for my system, and I simply gave up watching..... Ah, yes, the road less taken.....

I said:
First Contact felt too much like watching other people play laser tag. The Borg Queen element seemed like a sad pandering to selling sex, as if the story were otherwise too lacking to stand up on it's own. Unfortunately, as with the Next Gen films in general, that might well have been true.

Yah, boo, I'm a critic. :)

I just thought I would mention that Star Trek has ALWAYS been into selling sex. Kirk-Alien Chicks-Miniskirts, Troi in the lowcut thing, Dax, Replacing Kes with 7 of 9 because she had a bigger bust, That busty Vulcan in that last show that I never got to see (but I wanna)

ScottSF said:
I just thought I would mention that Star Trek has ALWAYS been into selling sex. Kirk-Alien Chicks-Miniskirts, Troi in the lowcut thing, Dax, Replacing Kes with 7 of 9 because she had a bigger bust, That busty Vulcan in that last show that I never got to see (but I wanna)

FYI...the actress playing Kes LEFT the show two seasons before Jeri Ryen (7 of 9) came aboard. She wasn't replaced. She figured that being in a weekly SF series would hinder her meteoric rise to stardom. So she quit to pursue other projects.

OK. So much for that plan.:confused:

The Borg or the Borg queen were not the problem with First Contact. I was more bothered by discontinuity problems with Zephram Cochrane (This time he was from Earth instead of Alpha Centari and the date of the launch was off by one year) and the second use of Captain Ahab (different lesson).

steve12553 said:
The Borg or the Borg queen were not the problem with First Contact. I was more bothered by discontinuity problems with Zephram Cochrane (This time he was from Earth instead of Alpha Centari and the date of the launch was off by one year) and the second use of Captain Ahab (different lesson).

You still haven't proven that the first refernce to Cochrane ever existed :D

And it is classical literature they can use it more than once... okay so there has to be tons and tons of new classical literature between now and then but still it is still important maybe :p