WoT Film - good idea/bad idea?

I honestly think this would be an awful idea. The books are far too long and complicated, with so many characters and plot lines, that they would have to omit too much.
And quite frankly, I would hate it.
Though I would probably go watch it just for the record.
Think about how much they cut out of LOTR, right? Well, they would have to cut much, MUCH more out of WOT. Though they did do very well on LOTR, so I'm not sure if that's a good example.
In any case, I really don't think a WOT movie would be a good idea at all.

A animated series could be neat though.

There is quite a debate about Jackson's interpretation of LOTR. He cut some very key scenes, such as The Scouring of the Shire, moving the death of Saruman back a whole book, and totally reinterpreted main characters such as Elrond (what a mean *******), Aragorn ("Let's hunt some Orc!" Gimme a break, what a stupid line), Faramir (a pathetic wannabe in the film, as opposed to the last of the noble line of Westernesse in Gondor), and Gimli (never meant to be the comic relief of the book).

LOTR would have received a better treatment if it had been serialized, like George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire, with the upcoming HBO series "A Game of Thrones". A series gives the time and the room that epics need, but you lose the big screen, which epics also need. The charge of the Riders of Rohan would not have been the same. For Jackson to have done it right, he needed four, possibly five films. He could have followed the books and broken it up into six shorter movies, but the studios would have hated that.

An animated film was tried for LOTR. It was a disaster, and they never even finished the story. It is a miracle that the piece of junk was ever released.

My hope is that one day, an ambitious director will want to film "JRRT's The Lord of the Rings", starting with the Hobbit, and working through to Frodo's departure from Middle Earth, that is a faithful interpretation of the original book. Not animated, but with real actors.

But... WoT was so long, involved and imho, so incredibly boring, that maybe a trilogy, just distilling the essence of the story down to 10-12 hours of action might be really good!!! It couldn't be worse than the books, it just couldn't...:eek:

Um theres just no way a movie series would work, they'd never include half of what fans would want. Shadar Logoth would probably vanish, Padan Fain would simply be crazy, instead of really crazy (not much of a difference, but simple crazy is gollum, really i like a antisocial schizophrenic, instead of splitpersonality OCD).
There also the problem of a series that spans 2 years in 14 books. I'd rather not see Sixteen/seventeen year old Elayne, or better yet 10 year old Olver age to much in that time....It might seem odd when they're suddenly 7 years older than they should be, unless someone thinks Hollywood can really role out movies that fast. I'm all for an animated series, where the problem doesn't exist, or a tv series (id say miniseries, but that'd be for each book, which is suddenly a little more than 2 seasons of a show).

I think it can be done. I just have to wonder if there is any group of people on earth capable of doing it.

There is a whole lot of mess that needs to be cut from this series to begin with. The author had a hard time keeping his fans. How well is this likely to do as a live action incarnation? Legend of the Seeker is just one example of how disastrous it can be to unwisely work with predominantly bad material.

The last half of this series is pretty uninteresting. Sanderson did a great job picking it up, and I'm hoping he can continue to shed much needed light on the WoT, but I would end any live action production with the events of the first 3 books like RJ should have. I doubt the WoT will ever rise to that level of storytelling again.

But I REALLY want to see those green and gold coasters on the coffee table in Ebou Dar that took up like five pages, while something a bit bigger like, oh I don't know, the cleansing of frickin saidin doesn't get talked about until two books later.

Movie would be a distaster, complete and utter disaster. An MMORPG set after Tarmon Gaidon would be very cool though.

Straightforward answer:
Great Idea if they do 14 movies (1 per book), have good actors, and most importantly DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING!!!
Bad Idea in almost every other scenario. Trying to reduce the content by skipping books or changing anything would be like a slap in the face to RJ's memory.

I couldnt read the series after book 4... I would be interested in watching a series though, if it's done well.

In opposition to Heck Tate, substantial changes would be required. Books 7 through 10 needed about 90% chopped as they stand, and a lot of the books could stand to be shortened by removing all of the clothing descriptions, the sniffing, and the braid pulling.

A series of films, or an HBO series like Game of Thrones, would be the best medium, but they will need substantial "write-downs' to make the series interesting.

After all, no one wants another Sword of Truth travesty (either the poor book series or the baaaaaaaad TV adaptation thereof).

I think the Wheel of Time would be a spectacular film adaptation, though it would be very challenging, and easy to ruin. The Lord of the Rings approach would fail, because it would be hard to have fourteen movies that stood apart, I think, but perhaps doing it as a TV series might work. The series, as a whole, builds episodically through the books. Compare to Game of Thrones and the success that has had, I think Wheel of Time would do well.

I think the Wheel of Time would be a spectacular film adaptation, though it would be very challenging, and easy to ruin. The Lord of the Rings approach would fail, because it would be hard to have fourteen movies that stood apart, I think, but perhaps doing it as a TV series might work. The series, as a whole, builds episodically through the books. Compare to Game of Thrones and the success that has had, I think Wheel of Time would do well.

I agree that a TV series will be more likely to be successful than a movie series. After-all, the storyline of a wheel of time is deeply connected.

One book succeeds after another.

It is not like Harry Potter where the books are not so connected to each other.

Came in expecting a thread about a film based on World of Tanks.

Left disappointed.

LOL

I don't think a film series would work for WoT. It'd be a massive undertaking to begin with, and considering how complex the many plots are, I'm not sure whether the big screen would condense it down very well. Remember, even the books with the least progression had details that influenced the series as a whole, so trying to cut back on anything might only lead to confusion for the audience.
And let's face it: one story spread across 14 films? I can't put my finger on why, but I don't think the world of cinema would be as keen on that as the world of literature. (Especially when Film 10 comes along, in which we really just learn about certain background details.)

As a huge fan of WOT, it would need to be done as a series similar to Game of Thrones (and yes I know it's really called "A Song of Ice and Fire") However i would be terrified that they would commpletely ruin it as they did with "Legend of the Seeker".

Sword of Truth was already ruined before the TV schmucks got their hands on it, but they did manage to make it even worse.

Anyone for a leg of evil chicken?

Wheel of Time television show on HBO or Showtime would be amazing. I don't know how they would afford the special effects and makeup though. Well, actually, I think the makeup is doable, but the fx would be ludicrously expensive.

My gut feeling is that a screen adaptation couldn't possibly be worse than the books, but I've seen Eragon so I know that's not true.

I think a film adaption could work, but only as a Harry Potter sized franchise, or a bit smaller.

It would not work as a trilogy as they would cut so much out they would ruin it.

There is no need at all for it too be a 14 film series simply due to number of pages/entire plotlines that could be excised either on the grounds that they are superfluous to the main plot or not suited to film.

It seems unfilmable due to the number of books but if you look at the progression of the main characters it could be easily covered in 6 films.

Look at Rand for example, he had minimal character development between LOC and TGS, and only a couple of key plot scenes. You could say exactly the same about Perrin as well.

It comes down to who are the key characters in the series, to which I would reply it is the party that left Edmonds field plus their later romantic interests. A number of characters who are even given POV perspectives could be completly excised with no effect on the main plot.

I think they should just make a film about Mat.

Just follow him around as he gets up to all sorts of hijinks. You know it makes sense. Perrin could be in it as his serious friend who has to bail Mat out of trouble. Great buddy movie for the summer.