WoT Film - good idea/bad idea?

With all that braid pullying the female actors would need some pretty hefty wigs.:)

I think it has the potential to be even more boring than the books... and that would take some doing for me.

So saying because of that I'm sure they'll do it eventually. The endless sequal potential will be just too appealing for Hollywood.

With all that braid pullying the female actors would need some pretty hefty wigs.:)

Lol! This gave me much needed laugh, Jack!:D

I know what you mean, though. The sequel potential of a book series like this in movie form would be ever-so-tempting for Hollywood, I would think. Not necessarily a good idea, though.

It depends on who would do the movie. If they had the cash to make it (special effects and actors). Also, don't you think it would make WoT seem faster? Eh...I dont know, I think it'd be kinda cool to see it on the big screen.

:eek:I would never suggest making a film out of the Dragon Reborn series or Conan series. Whenever books are made into movies a lot of the content is cut + when one is reading a book, they use their mind to visualize the situation and characters. In a film, they would ruin anyone's individual perception of the books. A book-made-movie would put a stain on the good series. :cool:

+ with all the drama going on in the towers (not action), the movie would itself be boring.

:eek:I would never suggest making a film out of the Dragon Reborn series or Conan series. A book-made-movie would put a stain on the good series. :cool:

+ with all the drama going on in the towers (not action), the movie would itself be boring.

There are series that can be made into good movies, just not many:D. The Tower stuff wouldn't be boring, just sophisticated, and I think that there is pleanty of action going on in the WoT story besides the Tower stuff. It would even out nicely.

Whenever books are made into movies a lot of the content is cut
Would this be a bad thing? I can't count how mnay times people have complained about the legnth of the books (myself included) and a movie would cut out the internal thoughts about hating the opposite sex, what style of clothing was popular, and what a stick of bread on a table looked like. It would make the WoT seem more action-packed, and make it into an action-filled movie.

I think that the only way that they could realistically translate this, however, would be to make the movies out of the first three, although 4&5 are my favorites... Unless they made 7&8 into one movie and.... eh... this is tougher than I thought!:D

Anyway, I think that no matter what this should wait until the final book is released and has been for several years.

Ok there are pro's and con's for the idea of making it a movie. The way I see it, no movie will ever be as good as a book, the medium that is presented is just too different. No movie that has been made from a book, (i.e. LotR, Sahara, Jurassic Park, Queen of the Damned.) will ever be as good as the book. a movie has to appeal to all audiences to be sucsessful. If you've ever looked at the interviews with the authors in most cases the authors are satisfied with the movies. the problem with WoT into a movie is that RJ is no longer with us. I am soo happy that the last book will be made, and im not too worried that it won' be a great book. on dragonmount.com they said that RJ sat around the fireplace and in a Long talk with everone about the last book laying it out so it could be completed., anyway sry i degress. back to the point. To make a succsessful movie from a book you Have to remain true to the authors vision. though it will never be as good as the book. it will give another perspective of that world, As long as it remains true to the authors vision. To make WoT succesful they need to find a director that is a fan. and one who will do all in his power to follow the soul of WoT. if that is done, it would be a good flick (and i mean a series of flicks like Harry Potter) things will be left out of course, but if the important parts are there it should be sucssesful. Never as good as the book, but still worth watching.
wow sry i just realized how much ive been rambling along there, any thoughts?

Well i tried to post a reply earlier and it didn't show up, it was a big one too, oh well here it is in a nut shell

My Opinion > No movie made from a book is as good as the book
What I Think> As long as the director is a fan and colaborates with the author and remains true to the vision of the author it will be a decent flick

Where Trobles Arise> with a WoT movie (though it will have to be quite a few movies (like the Harry Potter series) RJ isn't avalible to collaborate with, though those who he trusted to finish the last book might.....maybee, be enough. also the vast abount of twists and plots within plots might be difficult to capture.

Why I Would Like To See It Happen> I would watch the movie(if it happened) because I like to see other peoples takes on that particular world. Also if you think about it if done right the special effects of channeling would be sweet to watch =P

Your first post was automatically flagged by the software for moderation, WrenMeadows, because of the partial URL, which the anti-spam program interpreted as an attempt to post a link (which new members aren't allowed to do until they have a certain number of posts -- see our Terms of Use). What this means is that your post disappeared into the ether until a moderator (in this case me) ran across it.

I've approved the first one, since it has more to say than the second and they aren't exact duplicates, but if this happens in the future there's usually no need to post the same information a second time, because the first post should turn up eventually.

I do not see how WoT could be done as a movie without a huge rewrite. There are way to many characters that are important to plot and too much background which could not be easily introduced into a time limited format. The only way I think it could be done would require it be done as a miniseries with at least a hour given to each book and even that would require chopping a lot. Honestly I would hate to see them try, after seeing very few movies of books I liked that turned out well. Starship Troopers and Damnation Alley come to mind. Although I will admit they finally managed to do a decent job on Lord of the Rings.

It is happening...

Red Eagle Entertainment will be producing both the film and the video games...

...Please don't suck...

Horrible idea, in my opinion.

I rarely see any movies based of off books (Lord of the Rings is a... passing example. Eragon was killed by the movie, even though Paolini practically murdered it before it was published) give any sort of justice to the literary work. Jordan's WoT series is so complex and stiflingly long that, even were the producers to do a series, they'd never retain interest. It'd be one to three films (if they are even successful) and, after that, fans will start dying off, moving onto bigger things (things with much more sex and things that go boom, if the current mindset of teenagers is to continue).

As Beamer said, a massive rewrite would be completely mandatory. To do that, though, would murder countless integral characters and sub-plots that make WoT what it is.

I think it would be just fine to skip over all the tea-drinking, dress-changing, braid-pulling nonsense in favor of plot mobility.

I think it would be just fine to skip over all the tea-drinking, dress-changing, braid-pulling nonsense in favor of plot mobility.

Yet, to fit an entire series--pointless, mind-numbing, and frivolous scenes aside--which comprises over 10 books into a chain of movies less than three hours each and still hold onto viewer interest while getting the important points of the story across (which are many) is a daunting prospect which I would rather the current Hollywood not undertake.

The recent Legend of the Seeker television series has already further mutilated a declining interest in Terry Goodkind's work (and this was after watching the first episode, no more), I'd rather it not happen again on a much larger and grander scale with a much better piece of literature than Goodkind's.

I think if they made a WoT movie they should do only the first book. I thought there really should never have been a series, I was quite happy with just The Eye of the World. Maybe I just say that to spare myself the pain of the rest of them...which I read almost against my will, enslaved by my completionist compulsions.

I never understood how even before that Nynaeve character found out she had powers that everyone walked around her terrified about her "anger". Dude, she is like 21 and I mean no offense to the women of this forum, but I would have just either told her to shut the f up or smacked her silly if she tried to flip out on me my whole life. (i wouldnt do that in real life, but just sayin :p) Every guy acts like a scared mouse in these books and all the women act like total bitches. Blah .....

Maybe Lifetime would pick it up as a series. :p

i think they are making teotw into a mmovie but look what happened with eragon the book was good if ya saw the movie after u read the book though the movie was just crap so
they would need to be careful so that wot fans wouldn't get pissed off because they have a great book series and a crappy movie or movie series

Considering there are so many really talented fantasy writer's to choose from (Gemmel, Eddings, Brooks) I think I would rather blow my brains out that have them suffer the movie version of this rambling load of tosh. Sorry if my answer is a bit on the coy side. WOT= Rubbish, rubbish, rubbish, and I say it again for those at the back of the hall who didn't quite hear. Rubbish!

i think a WoT movie would b a very pathetic idea. I've never read the books but my sister is nuts about them and she tells me the story. she has all the books and collectively they weigh more then my baby nephew.

A movie trilogy is out of the question as there is no one the planet who could condense the books in to three movies. and if they do then it wouldn't be worth the liking of the fans.

however WoT TV series is not a bad idea at all. a lot of books means a lot of episodes and none of the story would be cut.

thought fans might have to settle for less then spectacular special effects, but even they are improving for TV everyday.

what say

I honestly think this would be an awful idea. The books are far too long and complicated, with so many characters and plot lines, that they would have to omit too much.
And quite frankly, I would hate it.
Though I would probably go watch it just for the record.
Think about how much they cut out of LOTR, right? Well, they would have to cut much, MUCH more out of WOT. Though they did do very well on LOTR, so I'm not sure if that's a good example.
In any case, I really don't think a WOT movie would be a good idea at all.

A animated series could be neat though.