Hawkwind Documentary on BBC

I don't think they put any brown noise on their albums. from the way they talked about it in the documentary, it seemed as if it was something they did during live shows as they liked to watch the results. it also seemed as if they could target individuals in the audience

This doc is also available on a number of bit torrent sites - that is how I saw it.

I got into Hawkwind heavily when I was in high school. They were awesome. I never got to see them though. The closest I got to seeing them was seeing Far Flung, a band made up of members of Nick Turner's post-Hawkwind stuff. I actually like Far Flung more than HW - they are more consistent and more fun. The lead guitarist of FF acutally ran sound for my band once, that's how I discovered them.

Speaking of Far Flung, they recently put out a new album called A Wound in Eternity. I highly recommend it to any fan of HW and epic space/stoner rock. It is amazing.

I went to see Hawkwind in '73 on the same tour that Pyan did. I was into Michael Moorcock at the time but although I was aware of it at the time that didn't influence why I went, which was because at the time gigs were cheap and people used to go and see most of the bands on the circuit unless you particularly didn't like them. I'm sorry this has changed 'cos I saw bands like Black Sabbath, Jethro Tull, Stackridge, Roxy Music etc. I wouldn't have seen otherwise.

As I recall Hawkwind had a dancer who was supposed to dance topless and this was a big attraction, and I did enjoy their show - but to my knowledge the band never had any significant success in the UK except for 'Silver Machine'.

Ummm... it wasn't always topless; sometimes fully dressed, sometimes fully un-.... the name was Stacia, and she's featured in the documentary as well...

I could be misremembering, but I recall mention at different times of both singles and albums hitting fairly high on the charts now and again....

I could be misremembering, but I recall mention at different times of both singles and albums hitting fairly high on the charts now and again....

Indeed - their highest UK positions were No.3 in the singles chart, with Silver Machine, and No.9 with the Space Ritual Alive album.

Indeed - their highest UK positions were No.3 in the singles chart, with Silver Machine, and No.9 with the Space Ritual Alive album.

Ummm... Pyan.... I can't tell whether this is agreeing with or contradicting my statement.:confused: Care to clarify?;)

Neither - just information, j.d.

Silver Machine was fighting against singles from giants of the time such as Slade, Rod Stewart, the Partridge Family (David♥! David!♥), and Alice Cooper, so for the second single from a then relatively unknown band, it did remarkably well.

Now, you would have to go and mention the Pear Tree family, wouldn't you.... Right..... There goes 30+ years of therapy down the drain....:rolleyes:

Whats wrong with them? I always thought they were typical of the good life in America....:confused:
And Susan Dey was hot...

ACH!!!! If that's what you think of them... what must that say of your idea of America????:eek:

Okay, so Susan Dey was cute -- personally, I think she became better as she got older -- but that was about the only thing worthwhile in that monstrosity....

I'm reminded of Ellison's capsule reviews of new shows in his "Glass Teat" column: after either witty or insightful comments on all the new offerings, when it came to this one, he had a simple, uncluttered reaction:

"Mother of God!"

I think that pretty much sums it up.... *shudder* Okay... after that picture it's time for my insulin shot now......

Don't forget the Ativan, j.d.....:p

And he's right, Hoops - she did grow up rather nicely...

im looking forward to seeing hawkiwnd on there 40th birthday tour at beautiful days. I will let you know how it goes.

Haven't seen them in 8 years now

Hawkwind were definitely one of the more SF bands out there, both with and without the influence of Moorcock. I did enjoy 'The Chronicle of the Black Sword,' both album and tour. It was something of a resurrection musically, at least to me, but sadly (again to me anyway) their music dropped downhill very dramatically after that. I had been an avid follower of the band up until then, but haven't seen an album I liked from them since.

Anyway, it was great to see SF themes pervade everything they did, from the style of the music, to the lyrics, to the stage shows, right down to the whole mythos built around the band. Anyone ever read the books? I read Queens of Deliria, and rather enjoyed it I have to say - a strange concept, a novel in which the band members and the music are all part of the story line. As I recall they had guns with tape recorders in them that would fire decent music (ie Hawkwind and other such subversive counter-culture music) against the forces of the Red Queen, and there was something to do with a giant pinball machine, and more.

Anyway, as a teenager I found it all most entertaining, and the tie-ins between the different forms of media really added to that for me. It was almost a precursor to what we have today where text, audio, video and interactivity come together on the internet. They had plenty of references to other SF too, outside of just their own, with 'Fahrenheit 451' as a song, 'Astounding Sounds, Amazing Music' (referencing classic SF magazines) and more.

And yes, I still listen to the band today, 'Sonic Attack,' 'Black Sword' and the awesomely named 'Quark, Strangeness and Charm' being particular favorites.

It has been quite a long time since I read Butterworth's novels (despite the joint byline on the first, Moorcock only came up with the concept -- or part of it; Butterworth wrote them). Time of the Hawklords was a bit dry, but interesting. Queens of Deliria was, as I recall, quite "out there", and enjoyable. Unfortunately, Ledge of Darkness didn't appear until 1995, when it came out as a graphic novel... which I have never seen, so I don't even know if Butterworth did the scripting on that one or not. (Love to get a copy of it, though....)