Pictish related literature

Pandora

Nintendo offspring
I've recently developed an interest for the history and mystery of the people who lived in Scotland around 200-900 AD, commonly referred to as the Picts, and I'm wondering if there is anyone who could recommend some well written historical fiction on the subject. I figured I'd take a look at The White Mare, by Jules Watson (and perhaps continue with the whole trilogy), but that's the closest I've gotten so far. Any help would be appreciated.

Not that it had occured to me, but I'll, er.. I guess I'll keep it in mind.

I've recently developed an interest for the history and mystery of the people who lived in Scotland around 200-900 AD, commonly referred to as the Picts, and I'm wondering if there is anyone who could recommend some well written historical fiction on the subject. I figured I'd take a look at The White Mare, by Jules Watson (and perhaps continue with the whole trilogy), but that's the closest I've gotten so far. Any help would be appreciated.

Henry Treece's The Golden Strangers is about the Celts arrriving in Britain and ousting the resident Picts. It's out of print but you might find a copy on ebay or from a second-hand book dealer like abebooks.

Then there's Kipling:

A Pict Song

Rome never looks where she treads,
Always her heavy hooves fall
On our stomachs, our hearts or our heads;
And Rome never heeds when we bawl.
Her sentries pass on—that is all,
And we gather behind them in hordes,
And plot to reconquer the Wall,
With only our tongues for our swords.

We are the Little Folk—we!
Too little to love or to hate.
Leave us alone and you'll see
How we can drag down the Great!
We are the worm in the wood!
We are the rot in the root!
We are the germ in the blood!
We are the thorn in the foot!

Mistletoe killing an oak—
Rats gnawing cables in two—
Moths making holes in a cloak—
How they must love what they do!
Yes—and we Little Folk too,
We are as busy as they—
Working our works out of view—
Watch, and you'll see it some day!

No indeed! We are not strong,
But we know Peoples that are.
Yes, and we'll guide them along,
To smash and destroy you in War!
We shall be slaves just the same?
Yes, we have always been slaves,
But you—you will die of the shame,
And then we shall dance on your graves!

Last edited:
There is a Scottish author called Nigel Tranter who has basically written books about every era of Scottish history. He has a few dealing with the timescale you are interested in. Check him out, he might be of interest to you.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I had almost forgotten about this, but now I feel eager to look deeper into it again. So yeah, thanks! :)

There is a Scottish author called Nigel Tranter who has basically written books about every era of Scottish history. He has a few dealing with the timescale you are interested in. Check him out, he might be of interest to you.
I've read most of Tranter's books. I thought they were very good, although I am not sure if his historical notes were accurate.

I wouldn't know enough about Scottish history to comment on his accuracy but he writes a good story. Although, he does seem to give the English short shrift in his books. I loved his books about the Douglas family and the start of the Stewart dynasty.

Not really historical fiction per se, more fantasy set among the scottish highlands but Brian Ruckley's Winterbirth might be worth looking at. He has some interesting fictional belief systems and and while it is defo fantasy it is very rooted in Scotland.

There's a novel called Mons Graupius which is about the Picts I believe.

Also, The Shining Company by Rosemary Sutcliffe about the 300 warriors and their fateful battle.

The Osprey history series also has a book if you are interested specificallt in the Pictish Warrior, titled The Pictish Warrior.

And if you like girly romances which pretend to be historical fiction about Celts and Picts in the Dark Age, then try the Bridei Chronicles by Marillier.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but for an outstanding Scottish historical set just a tiny bit later please check out The King Hereafter, by Dorothy Dunett. Since it's the tale of Thorfinn, Earl Of Orkney (whom Dunnett posits as the historical Macbeth), KH contains only a few threads concerning Pictish heritage.

But for lovers of Scottish history it's a cracking good read. Like all Dunnett's booksit's painstakingly researched and vivid on the page.

Highly recommended.

I enjoyed Jack Dixon's novel, "The Pict", which is set in Scotland around the time of Agricola's Scottish campaigns.
The Pict, by Jack Dixon

As another reader mentioned, several of Rosemary Sutcliff's novels set in Roman Britain take place at least partly in Scotland. One of the best and perhaps the best-known is "Eagle of the Ninth, an adventure featuring a young Roman who travels with a companion into Scotland in search of a lost Roman eagle standard.

Robert E Howard wote a series of Stories about the Pictich King Bran Mak Morn as I recall and also the first book of Jack Whyte's Arthurian books details a Roman campaign into the highlands, not a very successful one you might say.

Oh and I recently saw the film Centurion about the Roman capaign into Scotland too, that will catch your interest for an hour and a half I guess.