Another giant squid story

BBC NEWS | World | Asia-Pacific | Colossal squid's headache for science

Apparently, this is the biggest giant squid ever to be landed intact, and whilst I have to admit that it's impressive, I also wonder why we need to do things like this. I know that it's probably the only way to study it, but I'd prefer to see it in its' natural habitat.

Well, a part of it is... seeing them in their natural habitat is still nearly impossible, as they seldom come near the surface, but stay very deep indeed... deeper than most of the equipment generally goes. They're also quite shy, from what I understand, so one has to grab such an opportunity, if we're going to learn anything about them.

Still... it is a pity that we can't learn more by studying them without harming them; and I hope that problem will see a solution in the near future....

Thanks for bringing this in, Talysia!:)

A giant squid story...?

A giant squid, a giraffe and a wombat walk into a bar...

A one metre cube block of ice? I know it weighs twice as much as the beast, but I'd expect a half-tonne squid to hve tentacles at least ten metres long- they must have folded it ud like canning sardines,
Now, how many portions does a half-tonne calimari run to? (assuming, of course, that one is not a sperm whale)
And we can't study it in its natural environment, unfortunately; we can just barely get there, and definitely not find anything down there yet.

u can't see it in its natural habitat - at 2000meters down, you need a special diving bell.

Hahah, I like the way it shrinks between the two news articles (originally estimated at up to 20 m, now at 10m). Sensationalist media. :mad: Hope the BBC keeps updating us though!

Ah, but again, the lack of pressure would have quickly been fatal, I'm afraid.....:(

I'm not quite so certain that would be a factor. I suspect that Allegra's idea is feasible. Although, like their cousins Architeuthis dux, they obviously prefer greater depths, they seem to function just as well in shallow salt water as deep.

Besides, considering the new and innovative ways in which our corporations can exploit wildlife - and not to mention the utter expendibility of actors - I'm sure we could build a fiberglass version of Captain Nemo's Nautilus and give daily matinee performances in SeaWorld's Drama of the Deep Action Theatre.

Ah, thanks, Curt. My understanding (obviously outdated) was that it would have proven quite disruptive to them. Live and learn....:D

Back