The Last Man On Earth

Foxbat

None The Wiser
Supporter
I am Legend is one of my favourite SciFi Novels. It’s moody, atmospheric and frightening. The Omega Man was an early seventies adaptation of this novel, but it was ‘adapted’ so much that many fans of the book slated it. But I liked it – very much. Fair enough, it didn’t have half the depth of the book but it did a good job of conveying the sense of isolation our main character had to contend with. The vampires were gone and mutants arrived in their stead. With references to Biological Warfare, this adaptation was an attempt to give it a more topical feel, an attempt to make the audience a bit more empathic towards the story. It didn’t really work - but a good movie nonetheless.

Finally, I’ve picked up a copy of The Last Man On Earth, which is the first attempt at adapting Mathieson’s novel. It was made in 1964 and stars Vincent Price as Dr. Robert Morgan (I can’t for the life of me see why they changed the name of this character from Neville to Morgan but a scriptwriter’s mind can be a dark and dangerous place).

A plague borne by the wind spreads across the planet and the casualties run from hundreds, then thousands and into millions. Many of the plague victims come back to life as shuffling, zombie vampires. Roaming at night, they seek out victims, intent on feeding on their blood. In the middle of all this Dr Robert Morgan is immune. He stalks the streets by day, staking any vampires he comes across and transporting them to a giant burning pit for disposal. Ben, his old friend has become a vampire and leads a cadre of them to Morgan’s ramshackle house. Every night they arrive to call out his name and taunt him. Every night, Morgan must ensure his defences are in place and sits out the constant calling of his name and break-in attempts by the shuffling zombies eager for his blood.

It is during on of his daylight forays into the city that he comes across a woman. She is part of a band of survivors who, although infected, keep the disease in check by use of an antidote. It turns out that many of Morgan’s victims were not vampires at all but members of this group. And now they are coming for him, intending once and for all to put a stop to this man they see as a maniac rampaging through the city and killing their loved ones.

Time is running out for Morgan.

Filmed in Black and White, this movie has a stark brutality about it – from the body-strewn streets to the flaming funeral pit. Vincent Price puts on what I consider to be one of his finest performances as Morgan. He convincingly portrays a man driven half-mad by isolation and fear. Morgan is a man also driven to extreme brutality by his situation and, again, Price delivers – particularly in one seen where he begins laughing and ends up crying.

This is also a film that asks a question of the viewer – what is normal?
At the film’s end, Morgan cries to the mothers and children of the new society that they are all freaks and that he is the last, the only man left on Earth. The irony being that it is, in fact Morgan that is the freak, the outcast that society cannot contain and therefore must destroy.

I still like The Omega Man but I have to admit that this film does Mathieson’s novel much more justice. Highly recommended thought provoking stuff. 8 out of 10.

Thats interesting thanks.. I dont recall ever seeing that film.. The last Man on Earth.. I shall look out for it now tho..

I did like The Omega Man a lot.. not perfect but very good film for its time and one of Heston's best.. I saw that on release and its pairing.. (yes in the days when they had double features as a norm!) was unbelievable.. I watched it in a packed cinema in Birmingham.. Omega Man was on first... very sober and serious and the audience. like myself and my girlfriend were moved and thoughtful at the end.. The opening sequence of the deserted streets of LA.. and his firing up the generator and sitting alone in the theatre as the movie Woodstock played was a very impressive device, very moving to imagine the last man on earth watching those silly but vibrant young people.. one of the best openings in a sci fi movie I think..

Anyway... the partnered film was.. Blazing Saddles! One of the silliest films ever made! I do not exagerrate when I say that this is the only time I really did see people falling into the aisles laughing! Never ever seen such an audience reaction.. we were absolutely pissing ourselves en masse... such an opposite to the Omega Man.. amazing. I dont know if that was a deliberate pairing.. but I like to think it was.. some genius of the projector who must surely have gone on to be a great film director!

Gosh, it's been years since I've seen "The Last Man on Earth". I'll have to look around and see it again.

Oh, and "The Omega Man". I saw it, since Neil mentions doube features, at a drive-in in San Diego, CA, on its first release, double-featured with "THX-1138". That was back when no one had ever heard of George Lucas.:D God, I'm old.:p

littlemissattitude said:
Gosh, it's been years since I've seen "The Last Man on Earth". I'll have to look around and see it again.

Oh, and "The Omega Man". I saw it, since Neil mentions doube features, at a drive-in in San Diego, CA, on its first release, double-featured with "THX-1138". That was back when no one had ever heard of George Lucas.:D God, I'm old.:p
I remember THX film.. that was not a bundle of laughs either was it? I think the Blazing Saddles double was a better choice... lol None of us are getting any younger tho.. I know what you mean... sigh... I find myself telling stuff to my son who is 22 now.. and sometimes I swear he looks at me as if I had just stepped out of a time machine! Things like.. 'when I was at school, they hadn't even invented the pocket calculator!' that kind of thing brings that look on.. he cant hardly imagine a world before calculators!

This thread is turning into a bit of an 'oldies club' - for what it's worth, I'm a member too :D

I also recall the nonexistance of pocket claculators (I had a slide rule). What's worse is I've been trying to tell some of the younger guys in my workplace that, once upon a time, people went to the cinema just to see the news. Nobody believes me!

I remember my dad's slide rule, which he used in his work as a produce inspector (figuring out percentages of bad fruit in a lot and such). And I remember in sixth grade being required to learn how to use a slide rule - I never did get the hang of it.

I also clearly remember buying our first calculator when they first came out. It was big and heavy and only had add, subtract, multiply, and divide, plus percentages and square roots on it. It cost about twenty-five dollars. The calculator I use now has all kinds of exotic functions on it and cost me about eight dollars, I think. Well, that's my current calculator that does nothing else. I bought a clipboard the other day that opens up for paper and pencil storage and has a calculator built into it. Paid $4.99 for that.:p

And, as far as "THX-1138" (see, I got back on-topic eventually), it was too strange even for my dad, who was a huge science fiction fan and the one who got me into it. It was the second feature, and we left in the middle of the movie. I only saw it all the way through years later, long after "Star Wars" had made George Lucas a household name.

Sorry for the ramble, but I've been doing that all day, one way or the other.;)