Highlander: The Source (SPOILERS!)

Zadoc

So, I just saw the new Highlander movie, "Highlander: The Source," and I have to say...

And before I say it, I would just like to mention that I am a really big fan of Highlander: The Series. I love the Highlander mythos and think it's great and compelling fantasy, with nearly limitless possibilities.
..."Highlander: The Source" is the absolute worst movie that I have ever seen. Much, much worse that Highlander 2.

I can't even begin to say how cheesy this film is. And it wasn't budget problems that killed this move - is was plot and writing. It's the worst written piece of crap that I have ever seen. Really, it's god-awful. I feel compelled to write a proper Highlander move myself.

I mean, I actually laughed out loud and the awfulness that is this movie.

I am completely let down by this. I have been looking forward to it for a long time now... and there's just so many things wrong with it.

I cannot believe that someone actually approved of this movie and allowed it to actually be made. I just can't believe it.

Whoever owns the rights to the Highlander franchise must be trying to kill it on purpose, because after this movie the franchise is deader than Anna Nicole Smith.

Okay, where to start...

The main bad guy is the gimp from Pulp Fiction with yellowish skin and worse one-liners than C3PO has in George Lucas film. Not only that, but the queer moves "really fast" and they made this futuristic effect by speeding up the film, which looks like shyte.

All of the characters are off base. Duncan MacLeod is for some reason wondering the streets in Lithuania because he's broken up over his mortal wife leaving him... like that's never happened before? Methos is a complete asshole, and Joe Dawson dies in a pointless manner about fifteen minutes in.
The movie doesn't explain jack. The world has fallen into chaos. How? Why? Who the **** knows! I guess that wasn't considered to be important to the plot.

The movie title, "The Source," indicates that the movie is about "The Source" of immortality. So, Ducan, Methos, and three other immortals who die rather easily quest for the source... When they find it the special effect is so horrid that I died laughing. But they don't explain what the source is.
MacLeod's girlfriend has visions about how to find the source - how? Why? Again, that must not be too important to the plot.

Dawson says that the Watcher organization has been almost completely destroyed and that most of them are dead. How? Why? Whofreakingcares, I guess.

The absolute worst part is when Jabba the Hut makes an appearance.

Aside from all that:

-Duncan MacLeod doesn't take a single head
-There are no flashbacks whatsoever
-There is only one quickening in the whole movie
-MacLeod becomes "the one" without being the last immortal
-Apparently MacLeod can now jump several stories down without being killed or even breaking a leg

Ya, I'll take lame flying skateboards, aliens, and Sean Connery any day of the week over this awful piece of complete and utter dung movie that has absolutely nothing to do with Highlander at all.

Highlander went completely naff from the second one onwards. The original film is the only decent film, including the TV series. Everything after the original completely spoilt the mythos for me.

Brought this over to join the wealth of fun of the rest of the Highlander discussions.

Normally, I don't want spoilers, but I am *so* very glad you posted this. I had little intention of seeing this movie when I first heard about it 3 or 4 years ago - since Endgame was such utter drivel - and now I have even LESS desire to see it.

Yes, I liked HL:II (director's cut, tho that's still lame) - story-wise, it's far better than the third one, which is a bad retelling of the first; and Endgame was garbage. I liked the series too - tho Duncan started getting on my nerves about the time they brought in Methos.

edit: The person who started this thread is a genius. Everything said is the absolute truth! I've seen Highlander: The Source. I've even seen Highlander: The Search For Vengeance.

Both anus worth a thing. Whoever was responsible for writing the Highlander movies seriously needs to learn how to write.

The original people were on to something that turned out just short of brilliance. The second movie...well, lets just say, "Director Russel Mulcahy walked out of the world premiere," and that says it all.

Oh, I guess I can add that Christopher Lambert walked off the set, but reluctantly had to finish the movie due to contract obligations.

I think the third as better than the second, because it made slightly more sense.

I won't even get into the others, but the show isn't innocent either. Take a look at the episode when Duncan kills Richie. Richie sees Duncan shadow sword fighting, so like a total idiot, Richie walks right into Duncan's blade.

Come on. for a show that lasted six seasons, they could have given Richie a better death due strictly to the fact that he was present in the very first episode. But if you look carefully back at the show, a lot of moments are like that one. I just never realized it while the show was in production.

Last edited:
Ok thats sort of put me off it, my sister sent me this last week and I havnt had a chance to watch it yet. I wasnt that keen to watch it anyway as for me there is only one highlander: - Christopher Lambert.
So it looks like I have a new drink coaster...

So it looks like I have a new drink coaster...

Pretty much. But don't feel bad. At least you didn't have to buy it. This makes Highlander II look like a good movie. In fact, this is the worst one. I can't even say anymore. It's upsetting.:(

SciFi just ran this last night as a 'SciFi Original Movie' - which means - the only people to sit through it in a theatre were those who saw those 'preview' movies and maybe some folks in NY and LA - b/c it didn't hit a nationwide release as far as I'm aware.

All I can say for sure is: This Was Really BAD. 'bad' defined the old fashioned way - as in, this sucked.

Worst. Movie. Ever.

I think Gregory Widen is bawling or laughing -

I don't even know where to begin, but there is NO WAY they could've fixed the Highlander timeline after what they did in Endgame. That was total crap and this was even worse. I didn't realize that was possible.

I'm not even sure how I managed to stay awake long enough to watch it all.

And what was with the lame 'recap' at the end? Why was there an hour and a half of movie before that?

Bad Highlander writer / producer people - no biscuit.