The Writer Writes...

LauraJUnderwood

Silly Author Person
So there are times I get asked how, with a full time job, am I able to write enough stuff to have so many stories and books to my name.

The secret is nothing more than a little dedication.

I write, therefore I am... ;-)

Okay, I know, that sounds a little cryptic. For me, writing is like breathing, eating, sleeping. I put fingers to keys or take pen in hand and stuff just starts coming out of me. I once described the process as *GROSS WARNING* "Sneezing on the page and then cleaning up the mess."

In some ways, I just have to write. I rarely experience "writer's block" though I have been known to commit "Writer's Procrastination..."

Cubis2 (r) is horribly addictive...

As is Mahjjong...

But that aside, the question I more often field about writing is when do I find the time, considering my job, my family (I have elderly parents) and my love of travel.

Every minute of every hour of every day...

In otherwords, I make the time. I sit down on the mornings I do not work, and I write. I sit down at lunch at work and I write. I go home and I write. I carry a small PDA (an iPaq 1955) and a infrared keyboard in my purse at all times. I give myself no excuse NOT to write.

I set goals, make personal deadlines (and this always seems to work best for me when I am in a procrastinating mood), remind myself that the reward of writing is publication AND getting paid for it (and one cannot get paid for writing one does not create, nor can one sell stories stored in the piano seat/trunk/desk drawer, etc. if one does not finish them, polish them and submit them.)

My favorite line from "Throw Mama From the Train" (a film I watch when I am feeling depressed because it always makes me laugh) is "A Writer Writes...Always..."

It's true. Because even when I am working, driving, watching television, relaxing, reading, drawing or even playing with beads, I am writing.

And therefore, I alway am... ;-)

Laura J. Underwood

I always feel guilty when I remember about how much time you spend writing.

But at least I'm always thinking about my writing.

Back