Aspartame

I'm sorry to hear about that, Brian. I wish you a quick recovery.

Do you have to make drastic dietary changes ? Are you on meds ?

Sorry to hear that Brian, may the great spirit shine uppon you:) . OK I had heard of the word colitise but I guess when I heard it I forgot to stop and listen to what the word was.:p

Ouch, Brian. Doesn't sound like much fun at all.:(

As for me, I'm currently sitting here drinking my Caffeine Free Diet Pepsi with...of course, aspartame. Oh, well. Don't do it very often, and I can't stand the sodas with actual sugar in them anymore - much too sweet for my taste.

This article says its genetic whether you like the taste or not and genetic if its harmful to you and everything else is unproven.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame

The link also refers to an EU report(link below) which has some more detail. Aspartame itself it appears isnt absorbed into the blood but its broken down and methanol, aspartic acid and phenyalanine which are absorbed into the blood. Thes are all metabolised quickly. But phenylalanine is the only chemical that you get more than you normally would in food and the methanol concentration is too low to be harmful in average doses.

http://www.greenfacts.org/aspartame/index.htm

Before i read about it i thought it might be harmful but it seems okay, though methanol was a bit concerning, and the people associated with it on the wikipedia article, like rumsfeld and monsanto. I reckon unless you already have some health problem it isnt necessary to use aspartame if you eat a balanced amount of sugar.

This whole discussion reminds me of when I was in junior high school and an artificial sweetener called cyclomate (sp?) had been introduced, chiefly to sweeten diet sodas. But it was eventually taken off the market because no one wanted to use products that contained it after a study came out that said that it caused cancer in lab rats. Well, nobody paid attention to the whole story, which was that for a human to get as much of the product as the amount that caused cancer in the rats, a person would have had to drink some ungodly high amount of soda(in the tens or hundreds of gallons per day) daily for twenty years.

This may or may not be the same kind of situation with aspartame. However, it really illustrates that the information the media hands out about these kinds of things is rarely complete and often not completely accurate. Alarmist reports sell papers, and so we get lots of alarmist reports about food and other products. My theory with aspartame, as with other similar substances, is to be careful, use it sparingly, and check out the actual studies and not just the news reports about the studies.

Just my two cents' worth.:)

Thanks for the comments, folks - I can't say I'm particularly bothered at the moment. It's more stress related - so maybe it wasn't the best year to go self-employed in marketing!! :D

Back